jsound

Sony HDD mod

So my girlfriend bought me a Brand new Sony DCR SR200HDD cam after I complained that my PC1E is not up to scratch anymore. Knowing of the apparent altitude problems I had to give it a go as this camera is perfect for a top mount - but as soon as I put my head out the plane it switches off... after 4 attempts i gave up...

Someone on the dropzone mentioned a modification that can be done to make it work for jumping(replacing a chip or something)

does anybody know anything of this or is it a myth??

does anybody actually know why and how these things don't operate at altitude, is there like a build in altimeter in the damn thing??

I know about the drop sensor but I switched that off too to no avail...??

(this is purely speculation based on my experiences at the CMU Data Storage System Center) Hard drives are very sensitive to pressure changes and rapid acceleration. The pressure change problem stems from the fact that the hardrive plates are housed in a vacuum and the rapid changes in temperature and pressure put a substiantial strain on the mechanisms that keep the vacuum in place. The camera probably shuts off because of the hard disk failure due to the rapid change in pressure.

also the hard drive plate is read by a "needle" that is only a few microns from the plate and in a rapid acceleration (negative or positive) there is a chance that the needle could possibly strike the surface which would result in damage to the hard drive plates and well is a bad thing. (think high tech record player)

most or at least some of that is incorrect... its been a while since I've worked in the data storage industry and my memory is rusty... :$

On the other hand flash media doesn't have any moving parts and thus is not as susceptible to the pressure changes and rapid accceleration.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

does anybody actually know why and how these things don't operate at altitude, is there like a build in altimeter in the damn thing??

I know about the drop sensor but I switched that off too to no avail...??

th platter requires air pressure in order to float between the heads properly. In rarified air, the bearings lose the support required to "float" the head in a negative air-bearing system (HDD system). This is one reason that all hard drives are ported, to maintain equal pressure inside/outside the drive.
It's one of those things you won't be able to fight; just accept it as it is. I have successfully jumped a sealed drive on a few occasions, but I can also feel the drive acting strange on my helmet when I've done so, and in working with the engineer that designed part of the system, he expects it to fail if I continue to jump it.