chrismgtis

Where to buy Rawa camera helmets?

I was planning on buying a Cookie, but a friend said they thought Rawas were cheaper. They appear to be a Brazilian company and the site that I found is very poorly designed.

Where can I find prices for Rawa helmets and mounts? The sites I've checked that sale Rawas don't sale mounts.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

www.aerostore.com

This is the only dealer I know of in the US that sells Rawa.

I saw that. I didn't see any mounts there though.

Cookie's site just makes it so easy to get exactly what you need. I wish other manufacturers had the same option on their sites.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

As far as I know, Rawa doesn't make mounts, just helmets and boxes. (Edit - apparently they do, my fault. see post below) Cookie sells a specialized mount because the top of their helmets are not flat. Since the Rawa has a flat top, you can just use a flat quick release like the Stroboframe, Schumacher, GoldMember, Really Right Stuff, etc.

Hi Chris,

You're right, Rawa does make aluminim mounts very similar to Shumacher and Goldmember. Their website lacks many things, including the info on this mount - quick release system. On the other hand I've found their helmets to be great fit, nice looking, and is what I use for camera flying. Whenever you buy your helmet, you can ask to have this added to your order, otherwise shipping will kill you. Cost is $60 for the quick release + shipping. Free shipping with helmet purchase. You can always buy through childrenofthesky.com by emailing me: [email protected]

Hope this helps. Blue ones!
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

Rawa does make aluminim mounts very similar to Shumacher and Goldmember. Their website lacks many things, including the info on this mount - quick release system

I did order my Rawa with their mounting system and it is not similar to a Schumacher or Goldmember. It's a 2 mm aluminum plate that bolts to the camera with a countersunk screw. This plate has a sort of rivet on its underside that slides in a keyhole shaped slot on the helmet top. To the rear of the backface of the camera the plate protrudes a bit and two Allen screws attach there to the helmet. Inside the helmet there's a steel plate with the threaded holes for the two screws and the keyhole slot. I am describing this by memory, a photo would certainly be more eloquent ;) In my opinion the mounting system doesn't do justice to the excellent quality of the helmet, not even considering the very low price.

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

I did order my Rawa with their mounting system and it is not similar to a Schumacher or Goldmember. It's a 2 mm aluminum plate that bolts to the camera with a countersunk screw. This plate has a sort of rivet on its underside that slides in a keyhole shaped slot on the helmet top. To the rear of the backface of the camera the plate protrudes a bit and two Allen screws attach there to the helmet. Inside the helmet there's a steel plate with the threaded holes for the two screws and the keyhole slot.

You are describing one option, CJ, that they have had for years. They call it a photographic base - and it runs for $30. The new option is the quick release, which is a lot cleaner and practical, since you can buy aditional bases, one for each camera you have, allowing you to remove and jump without camera or switch cameras in seconds, without touching a screwdriver.
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!