freefalle

CCM construction process

I've enclosed a couple of photos of step one of my ccm, the plaster mold of my head. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. couple of tips though first, I dont recommend doing this at night, when its cool out. It worked out ok but it took alot longer that I thought it would for the plaster to harden. second, you have to use something to stop the plaster from sticking to the scuba hood we used sterile jelly that I got from work, it worked fine but I would recommend using alot of it, and dont rub it into the pores of the scuba hood it needs to evenly coat the hood so that it won't stick. The plaster mold is drying. Once its completely dry, I'll move on to step two covering it with resin, I'll post photos of that too for anyone who cares.

Day 2

the plaster mold of my head hardened very well. I filled in the nose piece with plaster pieces and let it dry over night. The next step was to coat the inside and the outside of the plaster cast with resin. I wasn't sure how this was going to come out for two reasons, first I've never really worked with resin and hardener before . Second, Matt cautioned me against putting the resin on too thick because doing so would decrease the size of the mold when I fill the cast with expanding foam. So after I got off of work this morning I went to Walmart to pick up most of what was left on the supply list and when I got home I set off to work.

Coating the plaster cast with resin and hardener really wasn't that difficult. the store I bought the resin and hardener from sold pumps the screwed on top of the cans. These took a ton of guess work out of mixing resin and hardener. three pumps of resin three pumps of hardener per the directions. I coated one half using 3/3 then I coated the other half using 3/3. It MAY be a little too thin but we will see, I'd rather have to go put on another coat than have too much there. The plaster mold is now covered in resin and is drying, when I wake up If I need to add another coat of resin I'll do it then

Lessons I learned today,-
take your time, be patient.
watch what kind of cups you but, I tried to add a little acetone to the mix so it would spread better the acetone ate the cup..... oops shit

So far I have ALMOST everything I need to complete the project except knowledge and Im up to 438.00 is cost. thats not every thing yet so Ill add more to the cost as needed

Day 3
I added another coat of resin to the plaster cast this morning. As of this afternoon it had hardened very well and was fairly smooth. I need to sand it alittle bit to tak a few burs out and then sand the edges so that I can mate the two halves back together and get them preped to pour the expanding foam. I'm off of work tomorrow so Im hoping by the end of the day to have the foam mold complete. So far I probably have about 4 hours of work invested in this project. I think tomorrow is going to be a long day as it is crucial to properly prepare the plaster cast before pouring the foam into it or it will be difficult/impossible to seperate the plaster cast from the foam mold without either damaging the foam mold or destroying the plaster cast. I was going to post more pictures showing what the mold looks like with the resin coating but it doesn't look much different than the photos I've already posted. I'll post more photos of the plaster cast reassembled and of the foam mold when its complete.

I went out today and picked up some fiberglass resin. Wes told me that I could use the West System Resin to coat the inside of the plaster cast but I think Ill need the fiber glass resin when working on the foam mold. My cost so far is 450.oo

Is anyone finding this journal interesting? If nobody is getting anyting out of if I'll stop wasting bandwith by posting it. Im just trying to pass along info that may be useful to other people.

Chuck

so today, thus far has been spent mating the two halves of the plaster mold and preparing the mold to pour the expanding foam. The two halves went back together pretty easy but it was nice to have help taping it back together.

Here's a hint for you, when you make the plaster cast, you are going to draw a line from the left side of the helmet over the top down to the bottom of the right side of the plaster mold thats the line you are going to cut to seperate the two halves of the mold. you need to make several marks along that cut line so that you can mate the two halves back together. those cross marks are important dont forget to make them. Secondly, its hard to write on wet plaster with a marker, my suggestion is use either a paint pen or probably nail polish. I think that might be easier to see later.

After I mated the two halves together I taped it together with a lot of tape and lastly I put a thick coat of turtle wax on the inside, I let it dry and I just finished putting a second coat inside the wax will help stop the expanding foam from sticking to the plaster when it comes time to remove the plaster cast. I'm hoping not to destroy the plaster cast so that I can use it again in the future to make another helmet.

Hint: be patient when putting the wax in and be diligent, the wax needs to be completely dry before adding another coat. I was thinking about adding another coat of car wax but I don't think its necessary. I am going to add a coat of liquid spray wax to the inside when it drys before I pour the expanding foam the liquid wax will penetrate the crack. I posted photos of the process up to now and I'll post more tonight after I pour the mold

I finished allowing the wax to dry, I mixed 6oz of expanding foam and hardener. The amount of expanding foam and hardener depends on the size of your mold, the smaller your head the less you will need. I allowed the foam to dry of three hours and then I removed the plaster mold. The mold came off ALOT easier than I expected but I think that had alot to do with the amount of wax I put on the plaster cast.

I think the foam mold came you okay, there are some low spots and some high spots but I think once I work with the next step I'll be able to smooth it out just fine

The foam mold is going to dry over night an tomorrow I'll start working with the epoxy resin.

Photos enclosed

So, today, I sat staring at the foam mold of my head and decided I wasn't really comfortable with the way it came out. If you look at the photos, the right side of the chin area has some pretty big divots and is not completely formed, I thought about saying its no big deal and building the area up with resin but my concern is that I would not get the contour right and that would affect the final fit of the helmet. I talked to someone I know who has worked with the foam before and he gave me his thoughts, either I didn't mix the two parts of the foam together very well before pouring in into the plaster cast or there was too much movement when I tried to tip the foam into the chin area to make sure it filled that area creating an air pocket. His third thought was the shit happens factor. Either way my thought was do I try and fix the mold I have which may or may not work or do I put the plaster cast back together and make another foam mold and see if I can do a better job. Well, I decided not to take a chance, I went back, taped the two halves of the plaster cast back together and poured another mold. This time this is what I did

I took two seperate cups, I poured 6.25 ozs of each of the two parts of the expanding foam mix in each of the cups I then poured the contents of the two cups into one and stirred the mixture for about 35 to 40 seconds to make sure it mixed together well, I stirred it kinda briskly but was careful not to make bubbles. I then slowly poured the mixture into the plaster cast tipping in forward a bit to make sure the chin area was full. Three hours later I seperated the plaster cast from the foam mold. This time for some reason it was a bit more difficult to get the plaster cast off the foam mold but the results were remarkably better! The foam mold is smooth, the area where I had the mask opening is well defined and the contour of the chin is easier to work with. I would not have been able to fill in the contour with resin and I would not have a helmet that fit later.

Lessons I've learned today,

1) Take your time, it took me 15 minutes of work and three hours of wait time to ensure this step was right. If I had proceeded with this project without redoing this mold my helmet would not have fit right and I would have had wasted HOURS of work and had to return to this point and start over

2) read the damn directions two or three times before beginning a step. I was looking back over the directions from when I made the plaster cast, when I put the scuba hood on I pulled the bottom of the opening over my lips Im not sure why I did that but I thought I was supposed to. the lower edge of the opening of the scuba mask should have been below my lower lip It's not a big deal and Im sure I can fix it later when I go to cut the opening for the the face, but its going to make more work for me later.

So thats where I'm at now, I have to let the new foam mold cure for at least a day. I have to work Tuesday night so Im going to leave it to cure until Wednesday morning then I'll go from there. I'm going to continue to to post my lessons learned and mistakes I make so that other people will not make the same mistakes even if it make me feel like a dumb ass. Hey
I'll be the first to admit I have no clue what the hell I'm doing but I'm learning as I go

New photos attached

This time for some reason it was a bit more difficult to get the plaster cast off the foam mold

Probably because the foam was filling the mold better and trying to adhere to the surface. Also, maybe you should have re-waxed the cast if you didn't.

Regardless, glad it worked out! I had a big divot in my foam head but I filled it in very carefull with microballoon putty. I used a trick where you put a few small nails in the divot area, sticking out too far, then use the cast the push all the nails in to the right depth so all the heads sticking out tell you exactly where the surface should be, if that makes any sense.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This time for some reason it was a bit more difficult to get the plaster cast off the foam mold

Probably because the foam was filling the mold better and trying to adhere to the surface. Also, maybe you should have re-waxed the cast if you didn't.

Regardless, glad it worked out! I had a big divot in my foam head but I filled it in very carefull with microballoon putty. I used a trick where you put a few small nails in the divot area, sticking out too far, then use the cast the push all the nails in to the right depth so all the heads sticking out tell you exactly where the surface should be, if that makes any sense.

Yea it does that sounds like a good idea Matt. I did rewax the cast mold, I thought it would have been too tough to get it off If I didnt

Today I began the process of preparing the foam mold. Basically what this step is for is to prepare the mold for fiber glassing its pretty much a three step process, I'll describe each step as I do them. Yesterday, I woke up early for work and found the foam mold to be dry and cured so I decided to start step one of the prep before I went to work last night.

Basically what you do is take 100 grit sand paper and sand the surface of the mold. the trick is to scuff the mold up without sanding down too much of the foam. Sanding down too much of the foam will alter the final shape of the helmet. I had a couple of high points so I knocked them down a bit and I sanded the seam line down flush with contour of the head the sanding doesnt have to be perfect but if you do a good job its not as hard to get the resin to stick. So after I had the mold sanded, I mixed up a batch of resin, Wes's direction say to use the fiberglass resin, but after a conversation with him, he said he no longer uses the fiberglass resin he just uses the west system epoxy, he said it works just as well and doesnt have as much odor. So I mixed up the resin and added some coloring agent, Im using gray, and I sent of to work coating the foam mold. As I painted the mold, I thought damn it seems like I'm not getting anywhere. But the thing to remember is that the mold is pores and the pores have to fill in before you will get a nice even coat.. I used a three to three ration when mixing the resin and hardener Doing so gave me enough time to finish painting the mold before the resin hardened. I had to go back and get a little more mixture to do the whole thing but I got it done. When I came home today I found a couple of spots that still needed to be covered so I mix up a tiny bit more and finished them off. When the mold drys completely Ill move of to the next step in the prep process.

All and all this step was pretty easy, I do think I could have sanded down the mold a little more though.

A lot faster and cheaper I think.

Ok, what's the cost then? A head mold this way (the Wes way) should cost well under $100. The reason (I'm guessing) for Chuck's quoted cost so far is because he's already bought all his materials for the rest of the project.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

A lot faster and cheaper I think.

Ok, what's the cost then? A head mold this way (the Wes way) should cost well under $100. The reason (I'm guessing) for Chuck's quoted cost so far is because he's already bought all his materials for the rest of the project.

Matts correct, the thing he's also not taking into account too is that when you buy resin, hardeners, foam etc your not just buying enough to make one helmet, there's probably enough left over when your done to make 3 more helmets so actually if you figure the unit cost its much less.

Today I continued to prepare the foam mold for fiber glass. I added sanded down the first coat of resin knocking off some high points and smoothing it out a bit and I added a second coat of resin. During this step the directions require that you mix the resin, hardener and then add the coloring agent after thats done you add some micro-balloons, I personally have no idea what the micro balloons are from a technical description (maybe Matt can provide more information) but from a basic stand point micro-balloons looks like red clay and they are used to thicken up the resin.

I mixed everything up and I added the second coat to the foam mold, Im not going to post any photos because it really doesn't look any different in the pictures. But sitting here in front of the mold I can tell you about it, the resin with the micro balloons has started to fill in alot of the rough and low spots the mold looks much smoother. and its starting to take shape..

The next step will probably be the longest in preparing the helmet for glass, basically I have to mix the resin, micro balloons, hardener, and coloring agent to the thickness of body filler using that compound I have to fill in all the divots and defects until the entire mold is smooth. I expect this step to take at least a couple of layers, as it is not something that can me done half assed. I'm going to let this coat of resin harden over night and I'll probably start the next step tomorrow, I would venture to guess as far as work hours Im probably into this project 5 hours of actual labor time, the longest part of this project so far has been the wait time, after every step you have to wait at least 12 to 24 hours for drying time.

What I learned today

It takes a fairly good amount of micro balloons to thicken the resin up, but you have to add alittle at a time or you'll add to much and end up wasting the mixture if it becomes too thick.

When you are using the micro balloons you have to use more of the coloring agent, the balloons are red in color and they absorbed some of the gray tone from the coloring agent. Not a problem just an interesting fact.

Some of what I am writing may not make sense until you have your directions in hand hell even then some of it might not make sense.

Until tomorrow.

Chuck

A 3d head scan and milled print costs around 125.00.
Detail can be cleaned up prior to the print/milling. Milling can be done on foam, a paper-like product whose name escapes me, wax, and a few other plastic products.
Hair must be netted down or contained, because the scanner will see every hair as a detail point that can seriously eat up CPU time.
One benefit is speed. Make a scan, have the head/mold done in about 30 minutes or less, and it'll be a perfect likeness, including eyes, nose, mouth...basically it's a perfect copy of your face/head.
There are printers all over the world, or you can email an .stl file to someone to print for you.

A 3d head scan and milled print costs around 125.00.

Or do it the 'cheep' way, and use a 3D matchmoving program to generate a 'scan' from your head, by shooting several passes of your head with a videocamera.

Then take the resulting point-clouds, and convert those to a 3D mesh, and find the overlaps and 'you have a 100% accurate resprentation of your head. (Drawing dots or adding tiny markers to your face helps in the accuracy)

THEN print 40 or so cross-sections, and paste thos onto 1 cm thick wood.
Then sand down the transition from each piece to another, and 'voila'. With only 5 weeks of fulltime work, you have a wooden head:P

ps. Though possible, and the first step (cheep 3D scan) can be done in a day or so. Its a joke..and definately not something Id wish for ANYONE to actually do;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

sounds cool but where would you get it done??

even after you have the foam mold done, you would still have to prep it with resin to prepare it for fiberglass. the foam mold cost me 20.00 for four rolls of plaster and about 20.00 for expanding foam and probably 1.5 hours worth of labor. Although it would be nice to know that the mold is a perfect replica of your head, takes alot of the guess work out later wondering if you did everything right.....

There is a place in Provo, Utah that does a variety of 3D scan products. One of them is that for 195.00, they scan your head, mill the bust, and coat it with a brass/bronze-like substance that is fairly hard. When they give it to you 3 days later, it looks like a bronze bust, but weighs basically nothing.
If you have to prep the head with resin for fiberglass/CF, it seems like there isn't any cost savings, and only a couple days of time saved by having a head milled. And, I'm not certain that many of the foams or wax they use for the bust/print would be amenable to being covered in resin?

Would there be any benefit to doing this with carbon fiber vs fiberglass? Seems to me there might be some weight savings, even if not much, but I can defenitely see the cost going up a bit too.

I'm assuming the comfort level goes up a bit with a custom lid as such. Not to be confused with a camera helmet being comfortable. But I do like how much more comfortable my Hanson is vs my FTP. I see helmet building instructions in my near future.

There is not much difference between carbon fiber and fiber class. Except, carbon fiber is MUCH more expensive and is a pain in the ass to work with when you are sanding etc. You certainly can build a CCM using carbon fiber, but I just don't see and advantage to it as opposed to fiber class. I will be using carbon fiber for the top plate, I found (thanks DSE) a source that sells solid carbon fiber plates by the foot. Sure beats the hell out of making my own and cost about the same.

Would there be any benefit to doing this with carbon fiber vs fiberglass?

The major difference between carbon fiber and fiberglass is stiffness (and strength, to some extent). Fiberglass is strong enough, however, and for the helmet shell stiff is actually not what you want. For the top plates, you do want stiff.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com