x-claim

Sony CX7 I bought one...

Hey man.

A question regarding the bandaid and the microphone.
I have a HC5 and very often during free fall the sound are a bit funny. It's like 'cuts' into the sound, very annoying. Do you think this band aid trick might be useful for this issue to?

Right now we have winter here and our plane is at service for about 3 months so I can't do any live testing myself at this time (otherwise I would have done it already).
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Drive down the road with your car window open, hang the cam outside;)

I use the bandaid with a small bit of auralex under it, covering the back half of the microphone. Still not awesome, but much better, losing those two elements.

hahahahaha, now why didn't I think of that????
Well now all I have to do is find a car that can do 150mph and someone who are willing to stick my camera out the window B|

Thanx man for your infinite wisdom.

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

hahahahaha, now why didn't I think of that????
Well now all I have to do is find a car that can do 150mph and someone who are willing to stick my camera out the window B|

Thanx man for your infinite wisdom.

90k will be plenty fast to test it, can't help you if you don't have your own car. Maybe take the train?
Head north to Boros and ride a snow mobile with the Saami?:D

hehe... I have a car, well if you can label a Volkswagen as a car. :P

And YES I will get on the freeway some night very soon and push the speedlimit "some" to test this.

Train wouldn't be an option, beacuse all of the Swedish trains I have seen lately don't have windows that you can open [:/]

dudeist skydiver # 19515

can you put a tandem stoe around it to hold the cover in place? I'd probably remove it were it mine. but I'm good with the bandaid.

I'll have to check that next week (when I have a replacement for that mic adapter). I dismantled the original adapter & found there's a little card inside... I tried using an active interface cable that I have & soldering its wires to the tiny traces on the VMCK100 to make it a lower mount and to relocate the 1/8" plug. Those traces are way too close together & very thin. I got a couple leads soldered & destroyed a couple others.

An easier way to relocate the mic port is to desolder that from the card and add some wires to where it used to attach. The 1/8" port has big easy solder globs, so I think that should be a breeze. I'll update next week.

I'm surprised you're ok with the band-aid because I know you're particular about video quality. You must've had better success with that idea than I did. Maybe I'm using a cheap thin one.

Chris

I'm surprised you're ok with the band-aid because I know you're particular about video quality. You must've had better success with that idea than I did. Maybe I'm using a cheap thin one.

Chris

It's never gonna be up to my standard:P but the heavy, stretchy kind of bandaid (it's actually Curad, if I remember right) with a small bit of foam underneath has held OK, I'm mostly wanting to kill the back two diaphragms of the crappy surround mic they put on the camera. The next gen has the same mic, too.[:/] Just saw the new AVCHD card cams yesterday for the first time, they look promising as well, but this surround bullshit is very frustrating.

The next gen has the same mic, too.Unsure Just saw the new AVCHD card cams yesterday for the first time, they look promising as well, but this surround bullshit is very frustrating.

I *HEARD* that... now you have to tell... B|
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Chris

It's never gonna be up to my standard:P but the heavy, stretchy kind of bandaid (it's actually Curad, if I remember right) with a small bit of foam underneath has held OK, I'm mostly wanting to kill the back two diaphragms of the crappy surround mic they put on the camera. The next gen has the same mic, too.[:/] Just saw the new AVCHD card cams yesterday for the first time, they look promising as well, but this surround bullshit is very frustrating.

I can't wait to find out if there are some solid state cams that are going to have no optical image stabilization.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I soldered a mic cord extension to the VMCK100 adapter & everything stayed in place this weekend with no issues. Photos of setup:
http://www.funjump.com/photos/hdrcx7mic01.jpg
http://www.funjump.com/photos/hdrcx7mic02.jpg
http://www.funjump.com/photos/hdrcx7mic03.jpg

I added a Sony ECM-CS10 mini mic, wrapped it in foam and zip-tied it to top of my helmet. It sounds better than the onboard cx7 mic to me. Short clip from a tandem video that I shot yesterday using this setup:
http://www.funjump.com/videos/extmictest.wmv

Chris

Hi douglas,

I'll be offering next year BD too
and the handycam footage will be taken with 3 cameras, one on the strut of my new C182 SMA, one on my ubicam hand cam mount ( v 2.0 ), and one taken by our ground crew.

I'm trying to take the "high end" road with everything, from rigs to airplane and of course to videos.

The VIP video package will add the freefall camera guy footage and the stills to our package ..

So i'm still wondering if a macpro with two black design intensity and the on air software could help me this way :

I make a first edit trough HDMI inputs into the intensity cards and then finish editing with final cut.

Or would it be a better solution to get a more powerful Mac pro and to go AIC road or Hires road and to get all the footage edited in the NLE

Let me know what would be the better solution in you own opinion.

Best regards

Vincent ( i'll probably provide you a ubicam V2 by march or april so that you can see where we ended with it )

I'd like to se the free fall video to hear the audio from this mic you used? I personally use a sennheiser wireless mic.
But if i could pickup stuff in free fall with something else it would be cool.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I'd like to se the free fall video to hear the audio from this mic you used? I personally use a sennheiser wireless mic.
But if i could pickup stuff in free fall with something else it would be cool.

It's a wired mic mounted to my helmet, so I only get wind noise in freefall, except for occasional muffled scream from excited students, but there's too much wind noise to make that worth listening to.

In the next couple days I will be starting limited production on a role cage to fit the Sony HDR-CX7.
1st one goes to Spot next Omar then Trunk. This cage will incorporate a dovetail bottom plate letting the user remove the camera from the cage in seconds. As for the lanc control using that "D" shaped port. I have somebody that is all over this.
As soon as I get one finished I will put a post a photo for all to see. Expect them to be about $175.00 Anodized light weight Aluminum
Another Schumacher Product
Thanks All
Terry Schumacher

As for the lanc control using that "D" shaped port. I have somebody that is all over this.
As soon as I get one finished I will put a post a photo for all to see. Expect them to be about $175.00 Anodized light weight Aluminum
Another Schumacher Product
Thanks All
Terry Schumacher

I'd be interested in seeing one of these!
I still find the old mirror and record light works fine, but I want to get a cookie box soon, and don't think the light will be easy to see.

Any updates on freeflying and "shake" with this camera??
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I figured I'd continue an existing cx7 thread rather than start a new one.

Does the cx7 have any ability to read a signal from an external source and record to its memory stick? Normally at the end of the day I'd like to be able to grab footage from anyone I've been diving with (maybe hd or sd depending on what camera's everyone else is flying with), but being a hd signal and not having firewire, I'm wondering if this is possible with this camera? I went to the sony store but the salesperson couldnt answer my question.

Ive got a bit of money to play with so I'm trying to put together a cam helmet that will fly a cx7 and a rebel xti or xsi, but I'd rather not go to anything too big like a flat top. (something more like a rawa, fuego, ff3) as I like the idea of an hd/stills combo on a smaller helmet.

after the initial few reviews on the cx7 I havent heard that many follow up posts, hows everyone likeing their cx7, and pics of your setups?

Some NLE's can write back to the AVCHD camcorders, others can't. Depends on how the NLE writes the stream.
I haven't yet attempted to copy from one CX7 to another over USB, both of my CX7's are out on loan for manufacturers designing accessory components. Wait'll you see what's coming:D

Anyway...you'd still be able to grab footage, because it's just a USB transfer from the cam/card to the computer no different than CF card to computer, except it's a different card. Most card readers have memstick readers in them too. I'm *pretty* sure that doing a file to file Xfer from cam to cam will work, however, because there is no NLE involved messing with the header file.
Does that make sense?

okay your talking about reading back from a nle, so thats assuming I have the footage on a computer already right? is there a way to copy directly from the other camcorder, I know long ago in the past I'd just press play on one cam and plug into mine and press record (not for skydiving, but for my old mountainbiking stuff, recording to dv tapes) to transfer

I've been out of the video market for a long time so its all a little new to me again

As mentioned above.

I haven't yet attempted to copy from one CX7 to another over USB,

When i have both my CX7's back, I'll letcha know. I suspect it's not a problem, but not sure. However...you're going to HAVE to have a computer to store this with. Until a device is created that can dump from a card straight to a disc over USB or Firewire...you'll need a computer.
Join the new century, get a laptop for the DZ.:D