RedKite

Do Your Tandem Masters Make Life Hard???

Don't forget also that they have a person attached to the front of them so really they have the upper hand in any argument about ... well pretty much anything that happens on the jump... You just gotta learn to read their body language and get good at diving to make up for when you mess up! ;)

-Chris Martin

How long have you been shooting tandems? Eventually you get to see their body language.Most of the time if you ask them to help you out they will on the count. If you jump with the same TI you start to get a rythm going. If i goto a boogie a always ask the tandem Inst to help me out with the counts. Afterall, its all about the passenger and not us. That's why if you land a little further away than anticipated its always nice to see TI's follow you down to get their landing. Just like anything though, you will always come across the odd prick
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

IMO, TI always has the right of way...regardless of what he says.
Yesterday we shot an opening scene for a television show, with the television show hosts. I went over the exit sequence three times with the TI's, once with just them, once with the producer, once with the pilot, students, DP, and DZO all present.
I wanted them to delay coming to the door so we had an unhurried shot of the talent and TI coming to door, then the TI was supposed to wait for a signal and then give his normal count.
First TI went without a hitch. Second guy did everything great up until coming to the door. No count, nada. Just went. not even an out/in/out of any kind.
But it was still my fault for not getting the desired exit angle. I'm the camera guy. I'm there to shoot what happened, and if I'm not reading it right...it's my bad.
I suspect he was overwhelmed with everything that was going on, and at the end of the day, his focus needs to be on the student.

I do tandems as well (made over 2,000)
TM/I camera person should work as a team!
Unfortunately there are lot of TM/I's who not capable to work with the camera person, in that case we just have to be a bad-ass videographer and do our best.
In your case Doug for that television shot I would have made sure the person not only a TM rating holder, but also able to work with the camera guy.
I always selected instructors when the video was going to the media and I organized the jump.
Even when I'm not in charge I let the DZO know there's a preffered TM/I for a lot better outcome.
The good shot requires good acting not only good camera work...I guess.
-Laszlo-

I do tandems as well (made over 2,000)

In your case Doug for that television shot I would have made sure the person not only a TM rating holder, but also able to work with the camera guy.
-

I wouldn't have selected this person for the subject; it wasn't my call, but had it been, I'd have selected someone else.
Additionally, the TM wore a wrist cam, and I suspect that (since he doesn't normally wear one) the additional component of the skydive had an impact on how the exit was performed.
Bottom line....I learned my lesson.

My TI is great and always gives good exit count, but when we exit small plane like Cessna 182 he is sometimes 1/2sec late on launch because of the passenger. Therefore, I go 1/2 sec too soon and miss the good exit shot.
Does anyone know some body language "trick" that could help me here? (like watching some part of the passenger/TI body etc...)
dudeist skydiver #42

Look at their body weight and arm placement, there is always a point of no return for body mass on the exit. What this means is in a Otter or Caravan door if they are exiting presenting to the wind once thier center of mass is past the edge of the door short of them still having a grip on the airplane they are committed at that point to exit. In a 182 diving exit Ive used the once their head as an indicator, once their head goes past their students pelvis vertically, they are committed to the exit. If the TM does something like refuses to let go to intentially screw you, then you need to have a talk with the TM. On every plane and for every exit there is a point of no return that commits them to leaving, once you find it and start leaving just as they hit that point you'll find yourself leaving right on time every jump.

To figure out the point you can walk through the exits on the ground and figure out where they would be falling off the plane at if they were not holding on to struts or bars.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

read the HIPS, not the LIPS.

As both a TM and vidiot I know that my best intention to leave on "go" can be derailed by a student grabbing the strut on a Cessna as we start to exit. I tell the vidiots to watch my hips. When they go ... I go, despite what my lips say.

I remember Mel (the TM) and I had a jedi mind reading thing going on. I could tell when the tandem student was going to balk or grab. I watched Mel's eyes and his hips -- disregard the lips. ;)

steveOrino

I have come close to letting go cause of a count and then the TM changed their mind, because the tandem student managed to grab something, cause the TM never gave a count, cause the TM did the count verbally in the opposite side ear of the passenger (no fuckin idea why) and many other reasons.

I have worked with a TI who doesn't give a count, "just watch for when I start to go" Really sucked the first time I jumped with him, on subsequent jumps I knew what to look for.

Filming AFF is even more fun. I have watched students give a few counts before actually going. I have seen them give two different counts right after another.

I even accidentally screwed a TI once cause I was in a hurry to make sure we fell through a hole and let go. Yeah I felt bad about that one. He hurried up out the door though and I did get the video (and we had plenty of cloud clearance)! :$

Just watch for when they are actually going, counts don't mean much with anything involving students.

~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka