BMFin

Sigma 10-20mm or 15mm

Im about to buy a new DSLR camera setup. Im already pretty confident that the body will be 400D (XTi) What I dont know yet is what lens should I buy ? I would mostly be shooting freeflying (mostly outside) and tandems maby 50/50

So far the best two choices I have come up with are Sigma 15mm and Sigma 10-20. I have also thought about canon 10-22, but unless its significantly better than the sigma Im not gonna pay the extra.

I like the fish eye effect of the 15mm personally, but
Im afraid it might not be wide enough for freefly

Im also a bit confused weather it is good if the lens is fixed or not. As I understand the fixed lens makes your life is a bit easier but a zoom lens is more versatile ? Is this correct ?

The prices for these two lenses seem to be the same so that is not really an issue here..

What do you think ? Wich one would you go for ?

I would really appreciate some example photos with these lenses using a 1.6x censor.

Thanks !

Unless you are going to be doing TIGHT freeflying I would suggest using the 15mm.

Click the SD mesuite link in my sig line and go to the photos section. All of the tandems were taken with the 15mm.

The 10-22 can be adjusted to 15mm if you desire.
I don't know anything about them.

The fixed lens is more than likely easier due to only having to secure one thing. (the focus ring)

I would have to GUESS that it's not very much harder to secure the focal lenght of the adjustable lens asll you should need is som egaf tape or possibly some rubber bands and it should stay put well enough that unless you bash it ,it will stay.

see attached.
If you see ANY pictures that I posted here, its with a 15mm unless otherwise stated.

EDIT: I HAVE THE REBEL XT. That is a 1.6 sensor
My photos

My Videos

unless I'm mistaken, the Sigma isn't as fast; it's F4 vs 2.8. That shouldn't matter much unless you're jumping late, but worth mentioning.
A prime/fixed lens is generally better for ease of use and quality is typically better from a prime vs a zoom as well.
Having no experience with the Sigma in the photo world, I can only say that their zooms have a unique chromatic abberation when used with 35mm adapters on low-cost video cams. The Nikkor and Canon's don't, they're timed correctly.
I do have a Canon 15mm, and it's used for most jumps. Love it.

Ok.. I've been watching too many of these threads..

Here are some photos.. The first 2 from a Canon 10 - 22 - Love this lens, it's big and heavy but it's sharp.. The rest of the pictures are from a Tokina 10 -17 which I just picked up and used this past weekend.. I love the curvy edges - it's lighter than the 10 - 22 BUT you can't put filters on it such as a polarizer.. :( The Canon 15MM is nice - I have it for my FF digital but I don't use that in FF..

~Jeff

unless I'm mistaken, the Sigma isn't as fast; it's F4 vs 2.8. That shouldn't matter much unless you're jumping late, but worth mentioning.

Nope. My 15mm is 2.8.
There may be different models but the one I own is 2.8
My photos

My Videos

Ok.. I've been watching too many of these threads..

Here are some photos.. The first 2 from a Canon 10 - 22 - Love this lens, it's big and heavy but it's sharp.. The rest of the pictures are from a Tokina 10 -17 which I just picked up and used this past weekend.. I love the curvy edges - it's lighter than the 10 - 22 BUT you can't put filters on it such as a polarizer.. :( The Canon 15MM is nice - I have it for my FF digital but I don't use that in FF..

~Jeff

Cool I'm glad you posted those pictures.
Here are the exit shots from the 15mm.
You can really see how much wider you get with your lens.
but its gr8 to be able to compare them in one thread.
My photos

My Videos

Two of these shots were taken of me doing a tandem with a 15mm lens. It works really well with a .3 wide angle lens video.

Unfortunately you can suffer in landing shots. You really have to be close. When the tandem lands if you are not real close then the pics will look very far away.

Great for freeflying too. But not so good for taking pics of people when under canopy unless, again, you are VERY close. The others were basic freeflying shots I've taken with it. Sorry for the contamination on a few of them, I've fixed it.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Thanks for the info and pictures so far.. Keep ´em coming ! :)
According to the pics so far I think the 10mm fits my taste better.

The 15mm seemed very nice also, but maby not wide enough when shooting a tandem from docking distance..

Anyone with a 10-20 sigma ?

Here are some photos.. The first 2 from a Canon 10 - 22 - Love this lens, it's big and heavy but it's sharp

The Canon 10-22 is big but it is not heavy. Before I bought my 10-22 I searched about 2 dozen different lenses and this was one of the lightest ones, even lighter than most fixed lenses.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The second set with me in them is the Sigma 10 - 22.. The other guy at my DZ uses it.. Nice lens - not quite as fast as the Canon..

Canon - 3.5 and the Sigma is 4.0...

That 8mm is SICK! But I hate the black edges...

~Jeff

Ok thanks !

I tried googling this 10-22mm sigma but it seems theres no info about it..

Is this somekind of prototype ?

Thanks for the info and pictures so far.. Keep ´em coming ! :)
According to the pics so far I think the 10mm fits my taste better.

The 15mm seemed very nice also, but maby not wide enough when shooting a tandem from docking distance..

Anyone with a 10-20 sigma ?

I just have to disgree.

The shot attached is with a 15mm sigma. I should have been looking down a little more but that is my fault not the lens. I just can't find a picture where I was.

Edit: Added a second picture for the hell of it, yeah... I was pretty damn close. No cropping.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

But dont you think you would have covered that cleavage much better with a 10mm ? B|

It is a difficult decision...

Most of those who have 15mm seem to say its the way to go, but Jeff who has a 10-22 and a canon 15mm says he dont use the 15mm on Freefall at all... I think that is a big issue here. My point being that most honest opinions you get from those who have the opportunity to choose and have used them both...

Now anyone who has both would prefer the 15mm ?