The111

Custom camera helmet, Wes Rich CCM style... FINALLY finished!

Well, it is now 16 months since I began this project. I didn't exactly work on it nonstop though. There were many periods where I wouldn't even touch the project for 3-4 months, as other things in my life took priority. Also, a lot of the time was spent making mistakes and then fixing them since this was my first time doing this. I have said I could do this again in 8 weeks if I wanted to, and I very well may, since I could make the second one better. The helmet itself is about 12oz heavier than I wanted it to be (52oz total including top plate) due to some mistakes I made early on. This extra weight shouldn't be too killer, especially since it is distributed around my head, and not way up above like the cameras.

Some of you may have seen this video I made last year after I got wrapped in plaster. I have similar video footage of a lot of the other steps of the project (head mold construction, and fiberglass layup), but I will post those at a later date.

For now, here are some pictures of my helmet. It has a Sony HC5, Canon 350D + Canon 10-22mm, and Canon 580 EX II which was just added. I jumped the helmet for the first time last week with just the two cameras. That was around 8.5 pounds and I was a bit worried at first (my old setup was 6.5 pounds), but I put a few jumps on it and it felt fine. The weight is VERY well centered. I literally spent several hours with my top plate balancing on a dowel figuring out where to mount everything for good CG placement. :$ With the flash it will be exactly 10 pounds. I will jump this setup for the first time on Sunday. If I ever do choose to build another helmet I could shave maybe 3/4 to 1 pound off of that.

As far as cost, I thought I could save a lot of money and time by doing it myself versus paying Wes to do it. I was sort of right (definitely NOT on the time though). My total cost including paint job and lots of one time fees (tools I didn't have) was around $1500. That was slightly cheaper than it would have cost from Wes. But I have enough left over fiberglass and other materials to do a second one for free, probably. I also did some things differently than Wes, most notable hinging the door sideways and using a cutaway system (Terry Schumacher's that he sells to Bonehead for the FTP). This was one of the primary reasons I chose to do it myself (wanted a cutaway).

All of the cameras are on carbon fiber plates which are quick release slide in and out of position, and held in place by one thumbscrew only. This is Wes' design, I just copied it. Also the Alti-2 Neptune you see on the top plate is wired to two remote speakers inside so I get my alarms in both ears, and I always have access to the Neptune without having to pull it out of a pocket or something (not that there would be room inside this style of helmet).

I apologize for the stream of consciousness stlye of this post. I've been up for almost 24 hours putting the finishing touches on this beast, and my brain is running in circles. I had to post these pictures though before I went to bed. If anybody has any questions, please ask. I also apologize for the crappy quality of the pics, had to use my g/f's point and shoot (some of the colors came out funny) since my DSLR was obviously unavailable (except for the last one, and the flash didn't seem to like the mirror there so I had to use some weird settings).

Lastly, I'd like to thank Wes for innovating such an awesome design, I may have been able to build it but I didn't create it (I purchased the instructional CD from him for $70, well worth it). His website is HERE if anybody wants to take a look. In addition, I would like to thank Brett Thomas from Texas (camera for Deguello) for all of his help. I've never even met the guy, but Wes set me up with him since he had built some of his own CCM's in the past. Brett answered all my emails and spent hours on the phone with me helping me through the project. I wouldn't have got it done without him.

Goodnight!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yeh, but an FTP wouldn't fit you this good. :P

It sounds lke a lot of $, and it is. The whole setup probably would have cost somewhere between $2000 and $2500 from Wes, just guessing from what friends have told me who got a setup from him. I've heard people on DZ's say they made a helmet for $25, and I don't know how. You can't even get the fiberglass for that much.

I kept a running sheet of my costs and some of the detail is lacking (I have dozens of entries that say "Home Depot: $20" and am not sure exactly what I got. But it is amazing to see how the costs add up. Little things like a $5 box of disposable gloves. I probably went through 3 of those. Fifty cent brushes. I probably went through 40 of those. That's $35 right there for gloves and brushes. Probably close to $40 on sandpaper if I had to guess.

Also my composite supplies (fiberglass, epoxy, mold releases, epoxy fillers, epoxy coloring agents, caron fiber) were all ordered from US Composites and I paid probably $10 shipping on every order and probably ordered from them 10 times since I kept finding extra things I needed

$70 Instruction CD from Wes

Plaster Cast
$40 plaster (we did this twice because we screwed up the first one)
$70 SCUBA hood (a really nice 7/5mm from Henderson - for the plaster wrap, and to later use as the helmet liner)
$60 misc tools/materials for constructing and sealing cast (polyester resin, gloves, brushes, dust masks, goggles, tape, mold release wax, hacksaw blades, sandpaper)

Foam Head Mold
$130 tools/materials for constructing head mold (polyurethane foam, more polyester resin, mold release wax, microballoons, more sandpaper, more brushes, gloves, mixing sticks, mixing cups,

That's $370 and I haven't started on the helmet yet.

Helmet Shell
$160 fiberglass/epoxy
$75 misc supplies for setting up layup of CCM base and crown
$85 drill and several bits
$100 Terry Schumacher's cutaway hinge
$30 latch hardware (very difficult to find hardware, only a few stores online I could order from and all had minimum orders so I got extra)
$130 (Ace/WalMart/Home Depot) Not sure about this one, lots of little things adding up in here for sure, also some hardware from Ace)

That's $960 now, still have carbon fiber top plates to go, and other end details.

$240 carbon fiber plus more epoxy (I messed up a lot when I started working with the carbon fiber and had to scrap quite a few of my first plate attempts. The stuff is expensive, but without my fuckups this entry would say $80 probably)
$150 misc supplies/tools/materials for working on top plates (lots of little costs adding up again, plus I bought a LOT of accessories for my drill, plus punches, taps, files for working with the CF, and hardware for fastening everything together, I bought some I didn't need)

Add $100 for my paint job (a good deal) and we're at $1450.

Add another $50 for electrical supplies (those little MCX RF connectors on the detachable mouthswitch are not cheap) and we have $1500. In reality the total is probably even a bit more. B|

If I wanted to build a second one, I already have my completed head mold (first $370 saved) and some leftover fiberglass and carbon fiber, and all my tools. I could probably do it virtually for free. Maybe $200 (for all those little unexpected costs) plus paint, plus $100 if I want another cutaway hinge from Terry.

Even without making mistakes and overspending... a custom helmet is NOT cheap.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Matt, that is one nice looking helmet! I am guesing your going to get it all warmed up before 3.5 in a couple of weeks! I expect to see some more fantastic shots. No excuses now that your head will feel like it is in a cushy filled custom oasis!! :P

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Matt....The cost of your helmet is so secondary to the experience you've had, the thought process that went into making it, and the stories you'll always have to tell about it.
I think it's pretty cool, myself. Congrats.
It looks great, too, except for the self-portrait. Couldn't you have found someone slightlly more photogenic? :P
Hope to see it up close and personal one day.

Very sweet! I got to see Jairo's up close last time i was in Sebastian and i had decided that i was going to see how yours turned out and either make one or bite the bullet and have wes make me one. Not now obviously. B| I have to agree with DSE too, the cost is insignificant compared to the experience and satisfaction of making something like that yourself. Congrats!B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

How'd you rig the external speakers to your Neptune?

Wes has always taken audibles and cracked them open and added on wiring. But now you can get a Neptune with an external connector so you don't have to break any seals. You have to ask Alti-2 for it special, and it costs a bit extra, and it has no speaker in it (so you NEED another remote speaker for audible use), but it is worth it if that's what you need. It has a female MCX connecter jack on the botom.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thanks to everybody for the kind words. Put 3 jumps on it today with the whole setup, flash and all. Definitely is a load on my neck, but not too unbearable, like I said it's well centered. The worst is sitting on the plane, if I lean over to look at my chest strap or something, once it gets off center it wants to drag my head down.

In broad daylight the flash definitely doesn't do much, even if I get underneath someone and they are backlit the flash still doesn't light their underside well unless I'm pretty close. So maybe just save it for sunset jumps and conserve my neck on the others. :D

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Very Nice work Matt.
One Q though,...No concerns with only taking PORTRAIT pics? will it also convert to Landscape if needed?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Very Nice work Matt.
One Q though,...No concerns with only taking PORTRAIT pics? will it also convert to Landscape if needed?

Thanks.

Look at photo #13. Landscape is possible if you are flying photo only. However, I will 99% of the time be flying both cameras, and SLR will be vertical. When I set up my first camera helmet last year with a vertical XT, some people questioned my thinking. Three published cover shots later, I think I chose the right orientation. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

HERE

PN: 254-152-ROX

I got a lot of other electronic pieces (MCX connectors, right angle stereo plugs, tact switches) from Mouser too.

Thanks Matt, I've purchased from them before too.

Nice job on the helmet by the way and I really appreciate the info on the speakers, I have a modified Alti-2 and just haven't gotten around to getting speakers for it yet. This will save me a bunch of time!

Pat

No problem Pat.

I also purchased 254-PB504 on the next page of the catalog. They seem to work too and are equally loud, but are almost "too small" I thought so I didn't use them. But if you want something damn tiny, those will do the job. Most of the buzzers on Mouser are either external drive or self drive. I am not sure if self drive ones work, I'm inclined to think no... but I do know that external drives do work. Alti-2 will also tell you what they use in the Neptune, I forget what # it is but it's close to the 2 I recommended (external drive as well) and is also on Mouser.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Question.
How is the top plate mounted to your helmet?
Is the top part of the helmet completely hollow, or does it have a folded surface like Flat Top Pro from Bonehead? From your picture it seems like the plate is secure by the screws from the side and the top.

Thanks.

How is the top plate mounted to your helmet?
Is the top part of the helmet completely hollow, or does it have a folded surface like Flat Top Pro from Bonehead? From your picture it seems like the plate is secure by the screws from the side and the top.

I haven't ever looked at an FTP up close and I'm not sure what you mean by "folded surface"... guessing you mean the top plates has vertical tabs on the side?

My top plate attaches to aluminum angles (basically 90 degree brackets... you can buy raw angle stock at home depot) and the angles attach to the helmet. So yeh, you're right about the side and top attachments.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The FTP has a rim that is molded into the CF, which acts as a "shelf" and receiver for the rubber nuts. Bolts go through the topplate, received by the rubber-mounted nuts, that are housed and supported by the "lip" or "rim." The top of the helmet is hollow, with no inner material molded into place. I imagine it's to save weight as much as anything else.