AS1

HC5/HC7 sidemount solution.

There have been a few threads regarding sidemounting an HC5. I've been talking with 2K Composites and there is a solution on the way. The FF2 helmet has been modified to take the camera sidemounted leaving the top for stills if necessary. Although the HC5 is obviously wider than the PC series 2K have found a way to mount it which makes the new helmet only 12mm wider than the current FF2. The new one is to be called an FF3 (I think) and has a bungee rather than screw opening for the cover.
Please bear in mind that I haven't seen the completed helmet in the flesh yet. I'll post photos and update when I have more info.
I just thought anyone considering a new helmet might want to know this is coming soon.

I wait in eager anticipation of what is to come. I don't really like the idea of having to buy a new helmet to go HD, but whatever I guess?
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I wait in eager anticipation of what is to come. I don't really like the idea of having to buy a new helmet to go HD, but whatever I guess?

If you buy the right helmet you'll be able to use it for nearly every camera in the foreseeable future.

If you buy this helmet, you will be able to use it for every camera in the forseeable future that is shaped similar to the HC3/5/7 series. That doesn't sound very appealing to me. This is why I did not buy an FF2 two years ago, and I am happy with the decision.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I have seen the early version of this (was straight out of the mold in gel coat not even polished very little mold marking i thought it was a finished helmet. it looks very similar to the current model except closes with a bungy around the enclosure below the camera lens opening. there is also more room in the box due to the change in shape of the helmet and box as there is no need for a latch mechanisum. the lens hole has also changed to be more like earlier versions allowing for more variation due to lens type or camera type, will fit all cameras that the current model will and more :-) they have also changed the hinge to a chunkier one that is mounted in moulded sections on the helmet and box this is for 2 reasons helps in manufacture as requires less alignment as just pops in to the recess and the hinges that were used are no longer avaliable.
when i was there i also saw a half built version of their side fx which has nice camera and camcorder mounting brackets built in, thin secure and easy to use from how they were explained to me.

regards
Ken

If you buy the right helmet you'll be able to use it for nearly every camera in the foreseeable future.

If you buy this helmet, you will be able to use it for every camera in the forseeable future that is shaped similar to the HC3/5/7 series. That doesn't sound very appealing to me. This is why I did not buy an FF2 two years ago, and I am happy with the decision.

Sure, if I buy like a flat top pro. I don't really want to top mount all my cameras though. I dunno, for some reason I like the side mount.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Bear in mind that the HC3/5/7 and to a limited degree, the CX7 have more width than the previous DV counterparts.
I can't imagine buying a helmet for one of these cameras knowing that Sony is just about done with this body design.
With the cam being wider, the box is still more wide, which in my mind, translates to riser slap potential, but....if you're good with that...then maybe this is a good alternative.
If it opens up far enough so you can open the LCD panel without the door/cover being in the way of the controls, it'll be interesting to see.

No single helmet is going to suit everyone, I don't anticipate changing my camera for some considerable time so I'm ok with having a specific helmet. I guess if you go through a lot of cameras and keep up to date with the latest it wouldn't suit.

As for riser slap, is this a problem with the FF2? None of the reviews in the gear section mention this. The new one is only 12mm wider than the existing FF2.

From what I've seen (the parts, but not assembled) I'm confident it should be possible to access the screen and output ports by opening the cover without disturbing the camera.

I'll update when I know more.

Riser slap is an "issue" with all sidemount cameras. Whether or not it may affect you is another story. A sidemount will have a different impact on your neck than a topmount will, but again...that's a personal choice one way or another.

The bigger concern (IMO) is that if you purchase a helmet built around a specific camera, what happens when that specific camera breaks and it's already been discontinued by the manufacturer?
A quick read on this forum shows that this is a fairly significant issue, and given that no manufacturer is consistent any longer with camera sizes/styles, it is a valid consideration.

Fair point, when I get it I'll see if the PC series would fit as well as th HC series. That would give a pretty wide selection.

When you said "no manufacturer" did you mean "Sony"?:P

Well...Canon has had three body types in the past year, JVC has had two in the past year, with a third announced but not shipping. Panasonic is somewhat stable in what they're doing. Outside of Panasonic, Canon, JVC, and Sony, I don't pay much attention.
Sony have stayed the body course with the HC series outside the HC1...Canon perhaps strayed the furthed from model to model, going from vertical to horizontal body type. But since Sony is by far the most-used brand in skydiving....