LouDiamond

Bonehead Mantle

Very nice! When did you receive your Mantle?

The reason I ask is that your helmet has the bone in the back, where as the pictures in the SquareOne catalog shows it with the closing solid chin-cup instead (like the Optic Illusion). I prefer the closing in the back (like yours).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I noticed the same thing... then read through this thread and realized that loudiamond posted pics of a second prototype with the rear latch a long time ago. Looks nice.

Dave

Yes, but which came first? The bone or the cup....? :$

Notice the disclaimer Bonehead has on their website....

ltdiver

I've had it about a week now. The solid chin and the bone is what clinched it for me. I'm quite happy with it so far. It's much lighter than the FTP and the visibility and range of head motion is excellent.

The reason I ask is that your helmet has the bone in the back, where as the pictures in the SquareOne catalog pictures is with the closing solid chin-cup instead (like the Optic Illusion). I prefer the closing in the back (like yours).

ltdiver

I've had it about a week now. The solid chin and the bone is what clinched it for me. I'm quite happy with it so far. It's much lighter than the FTP and the visibility and range of head motion is excellent.

The reason I ask is that your helmet has the bone in the back, where as the pictures in the SquareOne catalog pictures is with the closing solid chin-cup instead (like the Optic Illusion). I prefer the closing in the back (like yours).

ltdiver

Cool! Can you do me a favor and measure the depth and width of the top plate? I want to compare it to my BatRak (my current camera helmet).

ltdiver

please oh please cut down the posts' of your ring sight...
[:/][:/]

I thought if I left them as is that I might be able to catch at least one full line group:D
Just kidding, that's why I posted the ring sight disclaimer earlier. I've got mixed thoughts on what I'm going to do about the sight. The helmet came with a post but I'm thinking of pulling the articulating bracket off of my old helmet (the one with the nylon mounting screws and short posts). If I jump this tomorrow I'll probably just detach the hazard and use a paper asshole. Thanks for lookin' out for me though.

Cool! Can you do me a favor and measure the depth and width of the top plate? I want to compare it to my BatRak (my current camera helmet).

ltdiver

5 1/4" x 8 1/4".

Thanks. My BatRak's top plate is 4 1/2" x 8 1/4". Looks like it'll work just fine. :D

ltdiver

5 1/4" x 8 1/4".

Out of curiosity, anyone know the dimensions of the FTP or vapor pro, as a comparison?

Dave

BH's website for the FTP:
Flat-Top
- The Standard Top Plate (with ‘L’ bracket) Measures 9.5 inches long x 7 inches wide
- The Extended Top Plate Measures 11.5 inches long x 7 inches wide.

Hey Lori,

I have a Mantle all set up. If you'd like to see it I'll be at Perris this weekend - probably Sunday.

Very cool! I just ordered mine. Chris is doing the paint job himself. Should be nice! :)
Since I'm out of the air for the next few weeks I'll probably be down sometime mid-December or so. (sinus surgery recovery).

Take some pics, though! I'm sure we'd all love to see your beauty up close and personal here.

ltdiver

Has anyone attempted to mount a 580 flash on top of this helmet along with an xti/xsi and HC series Sony camera? I'm curious whether there is enough space to do so with the xsi in landscape orientation. Yes, if the HC is side-mounted, but what about putting all three on top with the flash laying on it's side between the two cameras, or maybe side mounting the flash? Any thoughts?

I've been waiting for a bug-free HD/flash memory video camera to upgrade from my Rawa/pc109 setup, and it seems the cx100 might be the answer. But I hesitate to side-mount it, and I don't want to lug around a FTP. This helmet seems like a good alternative.

Mounting the flash on it's side betwen the two cameras would be really tight to not possible, depending on your attachment method/bracket. It would be possible to mount the flash behind/to the side of the camera if it was elevated slightly on a home made bracket/support I think. You could definately side mount the flash on the side of the helmet with the right bracket as there is plenty of flat surface.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Has anyone attempted to mount a 580 flash on top of this helmet along with an xti/xsi and HC series Sony camera? I'm curious whether there is enough space to do so with the xsi in landscape orientation. Yes, if the HC is side-mounted, but what about putting all three on top with the flash laying on it's side between the two cameras, or maybe side mounting the flash? Any thoughts?

Which HC series camera? I've got an HC5 and an xti and there's no room left between the cameras. It might be possible to shift the mounts forward so that more of the camera bodies are extending over the front of the mounting area. That might give you enough room to mount the flash in the back. I was thinking about that possibility for the distant (experience wise) future.
I've got mixed thoughts on the FTP. I think that it's a better helmet to mount all of your goodies and it has the bonus of giving you a better "pyramid" shape with regard to deflecting away from snag points. But I have to mention that the weight difference between the FTP and the Mantle is significant. The Mantle is much lighter. If I can find another camera I'll post my set up. But as far as my advice, take my jump numbers into consideration. I've got a lot more theoretical than practical experience to share. I only post because I don't know that there are many people flying a Mantle just yet.

Visual aids attached. The HC5 is a bit bigger than the HC 28-62 or PC models. I believe that the CX models are smaller.
I like the side mount flash idea. I'd rather have the flash on the side than a camera. As a final plug, I'm quite happy with the helmet. And by the time I'm ready to step up to a fully loaded FTP, the cameras should be small enough that the Mantle is overkill, I hope.
Cheers.

How accessible is the underside of the mounting platform? Is it difficult to get through the padding?

I ask because I opt for a lower profile by mounting cameras directly to the helmet using thumb screws. I don't see a need for a quick release because I jump the same setup all day. I'll need to be able to get inside the helmet a several times a day to mount/dismount the cameras, also to store extra memory cards/lens cloth/etc for the ride up.

Thanks!

How accessible is the underside of the mounting platform? Is it difficult to get through the padding?

I ask because I opt for a lower profile by mounting cameras directly to the helmet using thumb screws. I don't see a need for a quick release because I jump the same setup all day. I'll need to be able to get inside the helmet a several times a day to mount/dismount the cameras, also to store extra memory cards/lens cloth/etc for the ride up.

Thanks!

It's real easy. Just pull the padding out and you can access the underside. I have a prototype model and it has a flexible plastic material under the padding but it too can be easily moved aside to access the underside. I am not sure if the production models have the flexible plastic in them or not. Access is easy though.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Today. It's here, and it's beautiful. :)
ltdiver

really beautiful? a wonderfully designed very functional camera helmet/mount i'm right there with ya. but attractive it ain't. please post a pic of you wearing said helmet. imho it makes anyone look like a teletubbie:D:D:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Today. It's here, and it's beautiful. :)
ltdiver

really beautiful? a wonderfully designed very functional camera helmet/mount i'm right there with ya. but attractive it ain't. please post a pic of you wearing said helmet. imho it makes anyone look like a teletubbie:D:D:D

Beauty is in the mind's eye. If you think beauty is what makes you look cool when you look in the mirror, then that's your gig. Others see beauty when artistic skill and craftsmanship combine to create said very functional and wonderfully designed camera helmet.

I think it looks great.