LouDiamond

Bonehead Mantle

Today. It's here, and it's beautiful. :)
ltdiver

really beautiful? a wonderfully designed very functional camera helmet/mount i'm right there with ya. but attractive it ain't. please post a pic of you wearing said helmet. imho it makes anyone look like a teletubbie:D:D:D

Beauty is in the mind's eye. If you think beauty is what makes you look cool when you look in the mirror, then that's your gig. Others see beauty when artistic skill and craftsmanship combine to create said very functional and wonderfully designed camera helmet.

I think it looks great.

+1

really beautiful? a wonderfully designed very functional camera helmet/mount i'm right there with ya. but attractive it ain't. please post a pic of you wearing said helmet. imho it makes anyone look like a teletubbie...

It shouldn't matter but,... I agree. The Mantle is butt-ugly.

Hi guys,

How is everyone getting on with this helmet? Comfy enough?

What would be your opinion on having this as your only helmet? Good enough for fun jumps, freefly and wingsuit as well as some more serious video work?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi guys,

How is everyone getting on with this helmet? Comfy enough?

What would be your opinion on having this as your only helmet? Good enough for fun jumps, freefly and wingsuit as well as some more serious video work?

Cheers,

Tom

I'm still likin' it a lot. "Comfy" is subjective however. For a camera helmet I'd say it's comfy, and certainly lighter than the FTP/FTN that I've compared it to. But it's still a solid chin with a dogbone closure, which makes it a very firm fit. That aside, if you used it for fun jumps then you'd probably want to have a removable sight. You'd also be subjecting your very substantial investment in helmet, mounts, sights, and switches to unnecessary wear/tear and risk.
Take my limited experience opinion for what it's worth but you can buy a freefly/wingsuit friendly helmet for the price of the Hypeye that you'll probably be installing. That would be my choice.

Thanks for your input!

I currently jump a Fuego Pro with a RCB Labs dual mount and a CX7, hypeye etc on every single jump. I could sell this on and be able to cover a fair whack of the cost of a Mantle. It appeals to me as a much more usable (long term) dual mount platform.

In short, the "financial risk" on each jump will be the same whether I keep my current setup or get a Mantle.

I'm more worried about having a helmet that is too uncomfortable or bulky to use on every jump.

I still have an old Bonehead Mindwarp that I will keep if I want it for anything.

So in short, is the Mantle too uncomfortable and bulky to use for inside camera, wingsuit and fun tracking jumps etc? (Though this is very subjective.... you're right there....)

Thanks in advance for any more opinions!

If you've still got the mindwarp I'd say "go for it"! But I'm biased. The Mantle is light weight, has great visibility and freedom of movement. In a short answer to your short question I would say that it's not too bulky or uncomfortable to do what you want to do with it, but it is indeed bulkier and less comfortable than your mindwarp. But considering the subjective nature of the question, it would probably be a good idea to jump one before you buy it if at all possible. If your travels happen to bring you to Virginia, I'd be happy to let you jump mine. Hope this helps a little, it's the best I can do.

What are you guys doing for an audible pocket?

I got mine today and I must say, fit and finish are awesome! Both my cameras will fit perfectly on top with no over hang. Still have to move everything from my old helmet, but so far I'm very pleased.

Bk

There's a cutout in the plastic above the left ear. I gaff-taped the back of that so the audible stays put. It's not easy to hear, as it sits higher than my ear. I find that I can't hear it at all if I don't wear earplugs.

Not the best for audibles, but I'd be happy to hear about a better solution.

So I posted my question right after I sent the email off to Bonehead. I already got a response. This is my second Bonehead and I must say, their customer service is spot on. My first was a Mamba and I never had issue one with it.

"You should be able to trace an outline of your dytter on the back side of the ear area and just use a single blade razor to cut it out to fit your dytter"

Seems like that should work pretty well, but I'll wait and do that after I bake it I think.

What are you guys doing for an audible pocket?

I got mine today and I must say, fit and finish are awesome! Both my cameras will fit perfectly on top with no over hang. Still have to move everything from my old helmet, but so far I'm very pleased.

Bk

On mine ( which may vary from the production model) there is a audible "pocket" in the plastic underneath the foam that uses bungie type cords to hold it in place. Not sure if thats what made it into the production line or not. If you are having a hard time hearing your audible, as mentioned, you can remove some of the foam by trimming it out so that you can hear it better and or insert it into the foam closer to your ear.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have found that Really Right Stuff does not in my opinion have enough pressure closing to be used for Skydiving. Let me go on and say I love there products. What I have done is found the bent washers they use and added two more. With the added washers I feel safe that my 5D mark II WILL BE THERE WHEN I LAND

I have found that Really Right Stuff does not in my opinion have enough pressure closing to be used for Skydiving. Let me go on and say I love there products. What I have done is found the bent washers they use and added two more. With the added washers I feel safe that my 5D mark II WILL BE THERE WHEN I LAND

Which RRS Bracket are you using Terry? I find my RRS bracket(s) to be extremely secure, especially the one thats been holding my 5D on my Mantle for the last few years. What washers are you referring to?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Which RRS Bracket are you using Terry? I find my RRS bracket(s) to be extremely secure, especially the one thats been holding my 5D on my Mantle for the last few years. What washers are you referring to?

I know the washers he is refering to... (from looking at my QR brackets) I can take a couple of pictures when I get home.

but basically the washers he is talking about are the ones between the QR Lever and the bracket clamp... adding a couple of washers in between the lever and clamp would tighten the clamp slightly when it is closed.

I however also don't have a problems with my RRS clamps.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I know the washers he is refering to... (from looking at my QR brackets) I can take a couple of pictures when I get home.

but basically the washers he is talking about are the ones between the QR Lever and the bracket clamp... adding a couple of washers in between the lever and clamp would tighten the clamp slightly when it is closed.

I however also don't have a problems with my RRS clamps.

Scott

AHH, Ok. I was scratching my head trying to remember if they had sent washers with the bracket and I just didn't use them on my install.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

AHH, Ok. I was scratching my head trying to remember if they had sent washers with the bracket and I just didn't use them on my install.

Nope no extra washers or anything of that sort... I don't know what Terry uses to add to the washers there... (although I think he's mentioned it before)...

but at least now you understand what he is talking about... If anyone still doesn't I can still post a picture... (I just didn't have time last night, i had to go taste cake for my upcomming wedding... :$)

I would have sent that clamp back then and exchanged it for another one since there should have been absolutely no play at all in the clamp. Now I will say there is a difference in the Kirk bracket and the RRS bracket for how they fit in the clamps. The Kirk bracket I tried in a RRS clamp was overly tight and I would be afraid about damaging the clamp with how much pressure is needed to close the RRS clamp on the Kirk L bracket.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would have sent that clamp back then and exchanged it for another one since there should have been absolutely no play at all in the clamp. Now I will say there is a difference in the Kirk bracket and the RRS bracket for how they fit in the clamps. The Kirk bracket I tried in a RRS clamp was overly tight and I would be afraid about damaging the clamp with how much pressure is needed to close the RRS clamp on the Kirk L bracket.

Did you check the RRS site for compatibility with the Kirk L bracket? I believe there are some brackets they don't recommend you mix or do not work together.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Any more feedback on this helmet.

I am going to drop some $$$ on some bonehead bonds, so I have 6 months to decide between a FTP and this monstrosity. ;)

I can't speak to the Mantle but I LOVE my FTP.