LouDiamond

Bonehead Mantle

Scott,

The "top" photo looks like a line could open the RRS closing levers!!

Any thoughts??

I love the setup!!!

Arvel

With the cameras mounted, the levers are pretty much covered and they are to the front of the helmet. Plus those levers are pretty stout to open/close.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott,
Do you think a video camera box (TRV type)
would fit on top with the still camera mount from really right stuff next to it? I dig the helmet but I dont know if I wannt give up my video camera box yet.

EDIT:
how is the working space for drilling near the left/right edges?
My photos

My Videos

Scott,
Do you think a video camera box (TRV type)
would fit on top with the still camera mount from really right stuff next to it? I dig the helmet but I dont know if I wannt give up my video camera box yet.

Definitely. The RRS mount I use for my still is the long version of the QR bracket (3.2") and the video QR bracket is 2.4". You could permanently mount a box on top and still use a RRS for a still camera. Depending on which still you use, the 2.4" would be fine. I use the 3.2 because I'm flying the 5D and wanted a bit more bracket. I could get away with the 2.4 without issue for the still camera but I prefer to have the ability to slide any camera along as much bracket rail as possible. I tried to get RRS to build one really long bracket (7") and they said they could build it for me but it would cost a ludicrous amount of money because it was a new one off item and there wasn't a need for it in the regular camera world.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So, are they back on-line with this helmet, or are you just being a tease? :P

ltdiver

If you're interested in this helmet and want one, call Bonehead and ask for the Mantle, they are starting to make them. The production models will more than likely have a few small changes but nothing drastic from what you see in the pictures.

I was asked why the dog bone latch is on the right side and not on the left like the FTP. The reason is so that the left side of the helmet can be used for a side mount camera if so desired.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Looks like a great helmet! Any idea on actual availability dates? I did not see it on bonehead's website or paragear or square 1.

Personally, I plan on jumping my newly bought used optik illusion for a season or two to get my flying more dialed in then I want to invest in a more serious helmet and better cameras. Hopefully it will be easily available (maybe even stocked?) at major dealers by next spring or summer (or sooner?).

Any idea on actual availability dates? I did not see it on bonehead's website or paragear or square 1.

There are a few available right now but you have to call Bonehead and ask for it by name as it is not on the web site nor is it in stock anywhere.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Question for ALL helmet manufacturers.....

You guys build these fancy ass helmets with well built and thought out camera platforms yet they are are only slightly better than a frap hat when it comes to protecting the head from real injury!!
For fuck's sake, when is someone going to build a real helmet that will offer real protection? All the carbon fibre in the world doesn't mean shit unless you have some crush foam or something to ABSORB the energy. I have seen time and time again, people ending up with a concussion or much worse because they were wearing some $500 skydiving helmet.
A $130 Giro ski racing helmet is absolutely superior to any of the Boneheads I have ever seen for providing vital brain protection. Is it really too hard or is it that no one really gives a shit about anything other than making some money?
I see them all over BASE now too which just makes me shake my head. Better off wearing nothing so there is no false sense of security.......
SabreDave

A $130 Giro ski racing helmet is absolutely superior to any of the Boneheads I have ever seen for providing vital brain protection.

But where do ya mount the cameras?? :)
Off topic from this thread, but I mostly agree with you. I'm not so sure that skydiving helmets are "only slightly better than a frap hat..." They're pretty much untested. They might be better, they might be worse. Full face helmets work great for protecting against the hits they're designed to take... kicks to the face, etc. But with the popularity of swooping, the job of a skydiving helmet is changing.

Dave

Your question is off topic but you can actually find discussions on this topic in the other forums if you want to read more about it. In short, a helmet built to actually protect your head against impact would not be as low profile as the ones people use today and for the mfgr to get their helmets rated for safety is not viable financially. To give you an idea of how much bigger the helmets would need to be, take a look at the Gentex helmet which meets the military impact and weight requirements. Helmets built to these specifications also cost a lot more than the average skydiving helmet. The Gentex helmet pictured starts at a grand.

In general, skydivers value comfort and look/function over safety(this extends beyond helmets). When it comes to camera helmets, it's all about mounting the cameras with the safety issues being snag hazards and the helmet cutaway.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

When it comes to camera helmets, it's all about mounting the cameras with the safety issues being snag hazards and the helmet cutaway.

Speaking of cutaways, has Chris designed a cutaway system for the Mantle yet? (didn't see one in any of your pictures).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

A $130 Giro ski racing helmet is absolutely superior to any of the Boneheads I have ever seen for providing vital brain protection.

But where do ya mount the cameras?? :)
Off topic from this thread, but I mostly agree with you. I'm not so sure that skydiving helmets are "only slightly better than a frap hat..." They're pretty much untested. They might be better, they might be worse. Full face helmets work great for protecting against the hits they're designed to take... kicks to the face, etc. But with the popularity of swooping, the job of a skydiving helmet is changing.

Dave

On top Dave, on top.......:P I have been jumping everything from 3ccd cams to D70S to my super heavy F100 (35mm) on my camera mount made from $3 of aluminum for years, no problem.
I will not continue to hijack this thread but will stat a new one as soon as I get some time because I really think this is a bad situation that could be fixed or at least improved. As for what Lou Diamond said, I guess I need to understand it better because right now, I don;t buy it.
SabreDave

When it comes to camera helmets, it's all about mounting the cameras with the safety issues being snag hazards and the helmet cutaway.

Speaking of cutaways, has Chris designed a cutaway system for the Mantle yet? (didn't see one in any of your pictures).

ltdiver

Look closely at the left chin area and the left side of the dog bone on the back of the helmet. Thats where the cutaway is located/routed.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ltdiver

Look closely at the left chin area and the left side of the dog bone on the back of the helmet. Thats where the cutaway is located/routed.

D'oh! Thanks! Guess I was looking for yellow or red cable that stood out.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I guess I need to understand it better because right now, I don;t buy it.

If you are really interested in this, might I recommend that you call Bonehead and ask to speak to chris about the costs involved with building and obtaining a safety rated helmet. Chris can lay it out for you, what the difficulties and costs involved are. You can also check out this link http://www.helmets.org/limits.htm to get an idea about helmets and even though its covers bike helmets, it mentions motorcycle helmet testing as well.

Bottom line: the forces skydivers are usually subjected to in a crash with the earth exceed even the testing parameters/standards for motorcycle helmets. To build a skydiving helmet that provided more than what is currently available protection wise and get it rated would cost the mfgr an exceptional amount of money and it would be as big or bigger than a motorcycle helmet. Even then it wouldn't be a guarantee of any kind and the price tag on it would also be very high. I don't make this stuff up, I have actually talked extensively to people who make protective helmets for a living as well as work with other entities in the Government who's job it is to test parachuting equipment, as I am the test monkey. If it can be realistically strapped to a person, I have very likely tested and jumped out of an airplane with it already;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

ltdiver

D'oh! Thanks! Guess I was looking for yellow or red cable that stood out.

ltdiver

No worries:)may be changed on the production models is the way the cutaway handle is secured to the chin portion of the helmet. Thats something that is being kicked around/looked at, at the moment.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What about a removable top plate. I won't buy a dedicated camera helmet that doesn't have one. Too frequently I change set ups or have equipment changes and a non-removable top looks like swiss cheese within a year.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What about a removable top plate. I won't buy a dedicated camera helmet that doesn't have one. Too frequently I change set ups or have equipment changes and a non-removable top looks like swiss cheese within a year.

Then this clearly isn't the helmet for you. However, if you use the same brackets and plates on all of your cameras, it shouldn't be an issue as all you would need to change would be the plate for the specific camera. Thats one of the things I like about using Really Right Stuff's products. If I get a new camera video or still, all I need is the correct RRS plate for it and it will fit the bracket I already have mounted on my helmet.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thats one of the things I like about using Really Right Stuff's products. If I get a new camera video or still, all I need is the correct RRS plate for it and it will fit the bracket I already have mounted on my helmet.

Yeah, unlike all those other quick releases out there that DON'T require you to buy something new when you get a different camera... :P

Dave

Yeah, unlike all those other quick releases out there that DON'T require you to buy something new when you get a different camera...

yeah, thats true...if you believe in the "one size fits all" mentality. However, the other quick releases out there don't offer a camera "L" bracket that allows you to go from horizontal to vertical with your still camera in a matter of seconds. That in itself will prevent someone from having a helmet that looks like Swiss cheese by the end of the season. The still camera brackets are a lot cheaper than a new helmet and the video plate will fit any video camera, so there is no need to get a new one if you upgrade to a different video camera.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have an RSS bracket and plate and have used other QR in the past. Sometimes it still needs to be moved, or other equipment added.

You're right, it's not the right helmet for me.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was just wondering whether there was any intension of increasing the depth of the top plate? The width is perfert to fit my CX7 and Rebel XT without any overhang, but with a raynox 0.5 lens on the front the camera would hang off the back or the lens off the front. I was looking for a helmet like this, but with a bit more depth.
When it is likely to be put into production?

When it is likely to be put into production?

There is a limited quantity of them available right now and more are currently being made. Call Bonehead and ask them for the specifics if you are interested in ordering one.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey Lou
or anyone else with a mantle for that matter.
how much space is their between the top of your head and the center of the real estate on the mantle.
any chance there is room of say 10mm to fit an X-Shut or Zkulls recessed mount ?
if you have a photo of the inside of your mantle with the foam removed that would be useful to see.
sorry to bother you with this but i'd have to get on a plane or boat to get to the nearest mantle owner to me.
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

any chance there is room of say 10mm to fit an X-Shut or Zkulls recessed mount ?

Yes, there is space between the top of the helmet and the liner for bolts, nuts or a zkulls,same for the side of the helmet.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING