LouDiamond

Bonehead Mantle

I have had several people asking me about my Bonehead Mantle after seeing it in the "Really Right Stuff" thread or at boogies so here are a few pictures of it without cameras on top. For additional pictures of how cameras can be configured on top of the Mantle click HERE. The Mantle is based off of the Optik Illusion that I used quite extensively. However, I needed to be able to mount 2 cameras on top and I found that for what I wanted to do, I needed more space. I spoke to Chris from BH at PIA about this and the Mantle as pictured was born.

Aside from the added space up top, the interior is different in that it has a suspension system of sorts under the padding that has preshaped audible slots over each ear, so that the outside of the helmet remains flat and you don't have an audible poking you in the side of the head.

NOTE: This is a prototype model and the latch mechanism pictured may be different on the production model. Likewise, the production model should have the cutaway hinge available as it is pictured in the new Para-Gear catalog. The Mantle isn't up on the Bonehead web site yet so you will have to call/e-mail Bonhead and ask to get further details and pricing on it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It also is another take on the "Bat-Rack" from back in the day ;)

Stay Safe!!

Arvel

MY MAN! Yes, it does have qualities that look like the old Bat-Rack. So how is life up "north"? :D
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Point taken, I am an old "Da-Bomb" ex-owner myslef, now use a RAWA and FF2.

If they ever get this "Mantle" thing on the market for us normal jumpers, it will be the FF top mount wave of the future IMHO B|

But what do I know, I am almost 50!!!

Stay safe,

Arvel

BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

From looking at the pictures in your other thread, it looks like a pretty tight fit with both cameras mounted horizontally. Actually having it in your hands how do you think that works out?

I don't like the idea of having a HDV widescreen camera and a Digital still where the aspect ratios are rotated 90 degress from one another. It would seem like I could only fly for one or the other in that case.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't like the idea of having a HDV widescreen camera and a Digital still where the aspect ratios are rotated 90 degress from one another. It would seem like I could only fly for one or the other in that case.

I've wrestled with this issue a lot in my mind and I really can't decide which is better. However I've only flown so far with horizontal video and vertical still.

As far as mounting goes, vertical still is certainly more compact, although it also puts a greater cantilever on your neck... and mounting a 5D like Scott has vertically would be pretty obscene. My XT vertical isn't too bad.

As far as the photography aspect, I agree that having them both landscape would make it easier to frame both cameras simultaneously. However, I think portrait photos often are more striking than landscape photos... add to that the fact that MAGAZINES are portrait (except for centerfolds, of course). Sure cropped images of any aspect ratio can be placed in an article, but protrait photos are needed for large, full-page prints or of course cover photos. I just sold a photo outside the sport that will be on the cover of a college textbook, and it is portrait. Add to this that I shoot wingsuits 99% of the time and the image usually turns out 45 degrees crooked anyway (unless it's a boring straight on shot), it sort of becomes a moot point. I aim to frame my video perfectly since losing resolution is more costly there, and then I intentionally fly my SLR lens a bit wider than needed, since I have pixels to spare I can crop and rotate inside that frame afterwards.

Sometimes I think a perfectly square sensor with 15MP or so would be the optimal SLR. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

From looking at the pictures in your other thread, it looks like a pretty tight fit with both cameras mounted horizontally. Actually having it in your hands how do you think that works out?

I am happy with it. Neither camera hangs over the edge to be a concern when they are both mounted horizontaly and the weight is centered so it isn't lopsided feeling at all. For those using smaller cameras (video/still) there will be even more room uptop to work with.

Depends on what your focus is on that dive. Fortunately, I have lenses for both my video and still camera that afford me views that I can match up to one another fairly close be it wide or tight in even when 90 from one another. The full frame sensor on the 5D affords me a lot of latitude and allows me to get away with using small prime lenses without losing a wide FOV and the ability to crop down past the point where most DSLRs start pixilating. This also translates into less weight due to the small size of my prime lens(es).
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here's some updates to the Mantle. This is a prototype and I'm calling it the mantle II at the moment but that is subject to change. Changes from the original are the rear entry and dog bone,cutaway and the solid chin. The top platform length and width remain the same.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Open back? Interesting...

Is it just me, a trick of the light/angles or is the flat top a bit lopsided?

Not sure what you mean but it's not lopsided. It's square and it's uniformly flat on top. There is a CF piece that has a weird weave pattern to it. I assume that is what you are talking about.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Looks a lot better than it did when I saw it a few weeks ago, but that weave sure is a strange mate to the other side.
Looking forward to seeing the next version of the helmet; it looks like a sweet setup. I sure like the one you've been jumping.

Open back? Interesting...

Is it just me, a trick of the light/angles or is the flat top a bit lopsided?

Not sure what you mean but it's not lopsided. It's square and it's uniformly flat on top. There is a CF piece that has a weird weave pattern to it. I assume that is what you are talking about.

A trick of the light, then... in the first pic, it seems lower on the LH side.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Dude!!!

Does it fit your PIN head???? If so please show us a shot on your skull.

Ken Ates, in TX, bad times, check it out!!!

Miss you all Scott!!!

Arvel

Pin head? I think your head is smaller than mine bro. Besides, do they even let people as old as you skydive without a Dr.'s release? :D:P

Long time no hear KeeMo Sabe.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Looks good - any problems mounting the RRS plates?

None, I used the earlier model helmet holes to make a paper template. I then taped it on the new helmet, marked it and then drilled it. From there it was a simple socket wrench to install the bolts.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING