markovwgti

Final Poll guys !!!

Well i found a place by my house that has 6 Brand new PC 1000's for sale...now he is asking about 1300 bucks plus tax for it....now im thinking maybe i should get an HC5....but i have an optik illusion helmet and bonehead doesnt make a box for the HC5....whats my best option...should i just come up with the money and get the pc 1000.....or is the HC5 better then the PC1000 in the end?

Bonehead does have a box to fit the HC-5. Its a top mount only camera though.

I'd personally wait for a hundred or so more jumps befopre looking at a camera. In the next 12-18 months a lot is going to be changing in terms of camera design since solid state memory is finally catching on and it could bring the end of the DV camera in a few years.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Assuming your jump numbers listed are correct, I would recommend you take that money you're planning on spending on a camera and make about 111 more skydives before you even begin to think about adding a camera to your skydives.

I know that may sound harsh, I don't know you and you probably think you have mad skills or are already a heads up skydiver, yada yada. However, there is a reason why 200 jumps is recommended and if haven't already done so, read THIS thread on that subject ( A search will find you more). There is more to it than simply bolting a camera to your head that you have to consider.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

well i going to hit about 200 jumps in the next two months or so...i want to get ahead on buyign a camera and getting used to the features it has...i like to get a little head start on things...so will anyone help with some reccomendations...im not plannign on throwing a camera on y head right now...id like to buy the camera now and get it paid off asap!

1300 sounds like a lot to me. Keep looking on Ebay, you'll eventually find something there.

AND.....I also agree that you should WAIT! Sit back, take a breath and DON'T rush into this.

well werent they around 2 grand when they first came out?? and anyway this isnt used...its brand new...ive been checking ebay for about 2 months now...the only one that shows up is the japanese version

Assuming your jump numbers listed are correct, I would recommend you take that money you're planning on spending on a camera and make about 111 more skydives before you even begin to think about adding a camera to your skydives.

I know that may sound harsh, I don't know you and you probably think you have mad skills or are already a heads up skydiver, yada yada. However, there is a reason why 200 jumps is recommended and if haven't already done so, read THIS thread on that subject ( A search will find you more). There is more to it than simply bolting a camera to your head that you have to consider.

and why does every think that when you hit exactly 200 skydives...then you will be able to fly a camera the right way...what if some people that have 50 jumps are catching on quicker with learning how to fly then some people with 500 jumps? ...people are making it sound like you wont know how to fly a camera with 199 jumps...but that one more jump that makes you hit the 200 mark will make you a pro jumping with a camera...maybe some people learn quicker...you know?

and why does every think that when you hit exactly 200 skydives...then you will be able to fly a camera the right way...

200 is a guideline and doesn't mean you or anyone else is automatically dispositioned to jump a camera when that jump number is reached. At your current jump numbers, there is still plenty for you to learn about and get better at before you add something to the mix that makes the skydive more complicated. There is a reason why the USPA and anyone who has been in this sport for more than a day will tell you to wait until you have 200 jumps.

Did you read the thread I linked to or do a search on this topic at all? You are not the first nor will you be the last new jumper to think you have "mad skills" and "learn quicker than others" and "can handle it" be it canopy downsizing, adding a camera or flying a wingsuit. Take a minute to stop and listen to the people around you that have been doing this for a while and realize that you don't know what you don't know and they are trying to help you out so you don't learn the hard way.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

and why does every think that when you hit exactly 200 skydives...then you will be able to fly a camera the right way...

200 is a guideline and doesn't mean you or anyone else is automatically dispositioned to jump a camera when that jump number is reached. At your current jump numbers, there is still plenty for you to learn about and get better at before you add something to the mix that makes the skydive more complicated. There is a reason why the USPA and anyone who has been in this sport for more than a day will tell you to wait until you have 200 jumps.

Did you read the thread I linked to or do a search on this topic at all? You are not the first nor will you be the last new jumper to think you have "mad skills" and "learn quicker than others" and "can handle it" be it canopy downsizing, adding a camera or flying a wingsuit. Take a minute to stop and listen to the people around you that have been doing this for a while and realize that you don't know what you don't know and they are trying to help you out so you don't learn the hard way.

i read that link over and over again...i undersatand what you guys mean...but it just aggravates me that i have to make 10 different posts about which camera to buy and all the responses i get are wait till you hit 200-1000 jumps to get one...im simply asking which one to get when my time comes to get one...i also learned that taking some jumpers opinions and help didnt help me...i noticed that some jumpers with a coach rating and other ratings arent doing so well in the air as they are supposed to...some really arent good helpers...but i do listen when i hear good info

I'd personally wait for a hundred or so more jumps befopre looking at a camera. In the next 12-18 months a lot is going to be changing in terms of camera design since solid state memory is finally catching on and it could bring the end of the DV camera in a few years.

It's already dead. No manufacturer is building a DV only camera. Of course, I know you mean the end of DV tape, and that too....is nearly dead. Sony have just announced one more HDV on top of two other new cams they've announced, and Canon is expected to offer one more. Other than that....
AVCHD is coming on hard, but HDV will be with us for a while longer.

and why does every think that when you hit exactly 200 skydives...then you will be able to fly a camera the right way...what if some people that have 50 jumps are catching on quicker with learning how to fly then some people with 500 jumps? ...people are making it sound like you wont know how to fly a camera with 199 jumps...but that one more jump that makes you hit the 200 mark will make you a pro jumping with a camera...maybe some people learn quicker...you know?

I guess the most dangerous thing is...you never know what you don't know. I know it is frustrating to hear this over and over again. But look at the jump numbers of the people that are warning you. When everyone with more experience than you is making the same recommendation...well... you have to at least consider it. (This is true of many disciplines, risks, and areas of expertise.) Don't fool yourself into thinking that everyone making the recommendation to wait is full of S%#$, and that you know better. At least consider that you might not...

P.S. It is not that at 200 jumps you somehow know how to jump a camera, it is that you are apt to be able to jump more safely in general, and can (hopefully) handle more risks/variables/etc when you do jump. Learning to actually jump the camera will probably take many hundreds of more jumps. We just had a 200 jump wonder pound in last Sunday (visible brain matter) because he thought he could now handle high-performance landings. He was med-flighted out last Sunday and still hasn't regained consciousness yet (one week ago). He didn't know what he didn't know

It's already dead. No manufacturer is building a DV only camera. Of course, I know you mean the end of DV tape, and that too....is nearly dead. Sony have just announced one more HDV on top of two other new cams they've announced, and Canon is expected to offer one more. Other than that....
AVCHD is coming on hard, but HDV will be with us for a while longer.

thanks DSE...see theres some facts that were stated and they were wrong...thanks to DSE for clearing that up....:)....so my friend can get some sick prices on electronics i found out today...i gave him a list of cameras that i would liek to get...sony pc 1000, pc 109, hc3 and hc 5...i will see what he can come up with...so as of now im willing to pay the 1300 for the pc 1000 since i cant mount the hc5 on the side of my helmet

...what if some people that have 50 jumps are catching on quicker with learning how to fly then some people with 500 jumps? ..

...maybe some people learn quicker...

Yeah, maybe. How do you know if you're one of those people? What if you're wrong, what happens then?

There's no way for you to win this argument. If you are gods gift to skydiving, then you'll burn through another 100 jumps in no time, not to mention that you'll be jumping for the next 30 or 40 years, and you'll have plenty of time to get into video.

If you're not gods gift to skydiving, then you need to slow down and ease into things in a more traditonal manner.

Either way, there's no reason to rush into things, and for the record, you're not gods gift to skydiving. You're a regular guy just like me, Norm Kent, and the guy who got his main canopy tangled up in his camera helmet.

Hc 3 or Hc 5.. seems to me to be the better choice than the PC 1000...
and i think you can get the High Def models now, for right around 1,000 bucks...

You say,,, a few times.... that you are not currently a cameraperson,,,, yet you HAVE an Optik Illusion...??? How did you come to acquire That??
did you BUY it???

it seems strange to me, to decide on your camera choice based on compatibility to some helmet which you 'have'.:S;)

shouldn't you choose the Camera FIRST,,, and then find a helmet suitable for IT.???

rather than the other way around...[:/]

just wonderin'
jmy...:|

It is obvious that you are wanting to put it on your head from the start here ,with all of your wisdom. And like dave lepka says ,you can't win this argument.
If you don't take our advise find another sport to die in!
Don't go do something to soon ,give it some time you'll live longer. Why do you think they call it "sportdeath" you can die from it bro.
I had a super close call yesterday man "canopy collision" with another cameraman on opening. Two separate tandems we were filming plenty of time between exits too. Luckily we saw each other or it would have been over . We are still trying to figure out the sequence that caused us to be that close .
NONE OF US ARE IMMORTAL!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Hc 3 or Hc 5.. seems to me to be the better choice than the PC 1000...
and i think you can get the High Def models now, for right around 1,000 bucks...

You say,,, a few times.... that you are not currently a cameraperson,,,, yet you HAVE an Optik Illusion...??? How did you come to acquire That??
did you BUY it???

it seems strange to me, to decide on your camera choice based on compatibility to some helmet which you 'have'.:S;)

shouldn't you choose the Camera FIRST,,, and then find a helmet suitable for IT.???

rather than the other way around...[:/]

just wonderin'
jmy...:|

well i would much rather buy a helmet which fits me nice and comfortably.....with a nice cutaway system...rather then have a helmet that doesnt fit me too well and is annoying so i can get a camera for it...im not doing some multi million dollar photography or video shooting ya know...if i have to get an HC-3 since the HC5 wont fit my helmet...im fine with that...i just bought it last weekend after tryign on many diff helmets...its why i waited a bit to buy one..i also have a protec so just incase you guys yell at me for it being my first helmet...which it isnt!