petur

Rigging tools - Best buy?

Any rigger out there who can recommend a good place to buy a new set of rigging tools for a beginner over the internet?
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

Most of your bigger lofts will be able to supply you with tools. We (Action Air Parachutes) do, Square One does, etc....

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Hmmmm...you might be right, I thought they did...but I've been wrong before, once...I thought I was mistaken, but it turns out I wasn't...;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Perhaps your path to tools might begin with going back to your Rigger Instructor and obtaining from him, a minimum operating list ......
then you might go to Para-gear and get those things you will need to Recertilfly Airworthiness of the gear that will presented to you.

Cheers and welcome.........
CRWBUDDHA

T-Handles are tough. I made my knee plate out of SS. Also my pos closing device out of SS, and longer so that it doesn't hang up on the edge of the rig. Packing weights, packing paddle (also SS, I like shiny thingsB|), small adjustable wrench w/ a SS straight pin, line guide for rounds, PC compression device for bail-out rigs, etc can all be made. Cheaper and I didn't like the tools I could buy.

Hook

Approach a local Tool and Die shop about them. If you walk in with sketches and measurements they can usually give you a quick quote that day and have the stuff done in a few days.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hmm. You may be able to chew stainless steel into shape, but I don't think I could manage it. Where do you have them made?

I had my positive tension device custom made at a steel shop. I drew and explained what i wanted and the guy made it right the first time.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I did pay Machinist Jeff - in Perris - to make my knee board and I bought my seal press from Para-Gear, but I made half of my other tools.
I made my own packing hook from a molar strap and an old B-12 Snap.
Heck I even make my own molar straps!
I made my own Pop-Top closing tools out of Cypres cord and a couple of pieces of scrap iron that were laying around the shop.

Think back to the good old days when a blacksmith's apprentice could not graduate until he had forged his own set of tools.

I took a cheap rachet, extension and a spark plug socket, and made an excellent tool for closing reserves. The extension works great as a pull bar, and the socket works perfect for a power tool, I used a die grinder and a drill to make a slit so you can put your closing loop, then I used some emery cloth to clean it up, and then a deburring tool. Para gear charges a fortune for a closing tool, I boutght mine from the bin at Discount Auto for $5. All the rest, I bought from a sheetmetal place in town, super cheap.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Skydive Chicago's gear shop has a good selection at reasonable prices. I got most of my stuff there. Ask for one of the wire fids if you don't feel like making one yourself; they're great. They're at http://www.para-concepts.com.

Hey, that's what I was going to say! I'm the sales manager at Para Concepts, and just started working on my rigger's ticket. For the really basic, first tools I needed, I spent around $70 (like an ass, I forgot to give myself my staff discount, and paid full price).

That included a locking pullup cord, positive closing device with kneeling plate/packing paddle, cypres temp pin, molar strap and logbook.

Betsy, I never thought you would get your riggers rating. Kirk refusing to pack for you? Or are you counting on some of those free after hours lessons?;)
Have you been back in the air yet? I look forward to jumping with you, Kirk, and the rest at Summer Fest.

This is like a Skydive Chicago riggers course reunion, Jessica, have you been working on finishing up your ratting?

As far as a place to get tools, I must agree, Para-Concepts has the tools, and good prices. And keep in mind that you will always be buying new tools, and other supplies, like free bag safety stows, cloth, and webbing of all sorts, manuals, etc.

Blue Skies,
Wags

If CSPA banned "positive leverage devices" in the 1970s and most manufacturers frown on them, why are riggers still using them?

Because they make life so much easier? Responsible use of positive leverage devices is a better option than making the closing loop too long, making the packjob a premature reserve deployment waiting to happen. We had a couple of incidents in Finland a while ago where the too long closing loop played a part in causing reserve deployments at the door/on the strut.

I personally use one when packing a reserve, but only to pull the closing loop out, not to force the flap grommets into alignment. I like to make my packjobs nice and tight, and while I believe I'd be able to close the containers without a tool, I prefer not to sweat while doing it since I don't have to.

If CSPA banned "positive leverage devices" in the 1970s and most manufacturers frown on them, why are riggers still using them?

CSPA banned them? Here in the US, the FAA gives us our rules, not USPA.

Only a few US rig manufactures tell you not to use them in the their manuals, as far as I have seen this far. Being a new rigger, I use a pull check tool after almost all my pack jobs to make sure the pull strength is within the acceptable range. As I get more familiar with how much torque is correct, I will use it les, but still once in a while to keep me on track.

I would be curious to hear comments on this subject from other riggers.

It's just too bad that we can't teach people common sense.

Jessica.........Just do it! You'l do fine.

Blue Skies,
Wags