DSE

Hawkeye cutaway

Anyone got a Hawkeye with a cutaway on it? A guy at our DZ is not wanting to jump his Hawkeye without a cutaway, and I couldn't find anything for him.
Suggestions?

A jumper at my DZ custom made her own chincup cutaway system that has a 2-ring on it.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm hesitant to put much faith in cotter pin style cutaway systems. Orientation of the forces associated with the entanglement, orientation of the handle relative the pin direction, and even minor oxidation of the components over time can result in a pretty useless setup when the shit actually hits the fan. I have a feeling there simply aren't enough helmet entanglement incidents for any kind of meaningful statistics to be gathered.

A two-ring release system is simply better in just about every way.

Would TonFly cut system be an alternative?
They have 2 different set up's.

http://www.tonfly.com/Acc-ries_500973.html
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Better... I can't tell from the photos on the site if I like it or not though...

My concern with that setup is that you have a Lolon coated cable passing through a hole in a metal pin. When a sheer force is applied to the head of the pin as you tighten the helmet, the pin will tilt and the edge of the hole the cable passes through will want to bite into the Lolon coating, locking the whole thing up.

You can design the components so that this won't be an issue, but as I said I can't tell from the photos on the site if the manufacturers did so or not.

Well you se, that is the beauty with Tonfly's cut system. The metal pin that the (the new cut system has a cutwire)* cutwire goes through is 360 degrees rotating so it doesn't matter what way you are pulling the handle :)
Take a closer look at there web site, you'll be able to find both a video and a tech doc in PDF format where everything is explained.

*the old cut system has a metal pin instead of a wire.

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
dudeist skydiver # 19515

The pull test results were good news, but the pull direction wasn't what I was referring to. Since a picture is worth a 1000 words, see attachment for what I'm talking about.

Note particularly: intended pin axis, force, displaced pin axis due to force, and pinch point

I'm concerned about the lolon coating riding up the edge of the hole through which it passes on the back side of the pin and binding there.

/edited to add: can you tell I'm a real blast to have around at parties? hahaha

Yep. I se what you mean.
And it's the newer Tonfly system that has this lolon coated wire. It's called something like TF Plus.

The slightly older cut system doesn't have any coated wire at all, just a metal pin joint with a coated wire that's the actual cut handle.

So NO chance h**l for the scenario you are describing with the older Tonfly system B|

dudeist skydiver # 19515