Nataly

why can't I upload video???

Am having a few problems here and was hoping someone could help..

I use Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus for editing. I've never had problems before, but I'm now trying to upload some footage and the software doesn't recognise that my camera is connected to the PC.

A few other things of use to trouble-shoot
-My software is up-to-date
-My Sony "picture package" also doesn't recognise that my camcorder is connected
-the PC does recognise that the hardware (camcorder) is connected

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit to say: my camcorder is a PC 109 -- NTSC (the one with a stupid dock)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Just a clarification.

Your profile says you reside in the UK. Yet your camera is in NTSC.

Any chance your computer is flipped over to PAL format accidentally? Anyone else been playing with your machine?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

FWIW, a computer can't be flipped to PAL. Via firewire, it's merely a data transfer so the puter doesn't care, nor should the capture application unless it's using a hardware accelerator card. Xfer from cam to cam can present problems, however.

~Go to Network connections, be sure that the 1394 Network is DISABLED. Right click to choose Disabled if it's not indicating that it's disabled.

If that doesn't work;
Delete the 1394 card from your System Hardware in Control Panel. Then do a search for New Hardware.

If that doesn't work;
~Go to Sound/Video/Game controllers, locate the 1394 card driver, be sure it's using the Sony DV driver.

If that doesn't work....ping back and we'll maybe try going deeper

I had the same problem about three weeks ago. It turned out to be a problem with the firewire interface of the camera. (pc120)

I had to replace the camera because the repair costs were higher than a 2th hand pc110. I hope you have more luck than me... [:/]

1. Maybe you turned ON the "USB" switch on the docking station. (i know it`s stupid, but check anyway).

2. Sometimes the Firewire card or camera Firewire port "get fried" when you hot plug the device to computer. If that is the case, good scenario is to change the Firewire card (~10eur).
The other options are not that good.

Try the DSE`s tip or,
Try it on another computer.

Bye
dudeist skydiver #42

Not sure what you mean by the PC recognises that the camera is connected but the software does not - how is that evident?. I have had 2 problems like this: one time it was simply a bad firewire lead (eaasily replaced) and the other was a fried Firewire socket in the camera (PC9). In either case the editing software failed to recognise that the camera was connected.

Use your wings Johnny....

Whew.. Sorry--haven't been able to reply for a while (and still having problem).

Yes, I am in the UK, I bought my camcorder in Canada. This shouldn't be a problem, though, as I've uploaded in the past using the very same PC / software / camcorder.

Next, I don't have an ilink cable, so it's USB -- it works, I've tried it with 2 different USB wires.

What I mean by the PC recognises the camcorder is that the message comes up saying "found new hardware", then it recognises my camcorder. My Stodio 9, however, says there is no camcorder connected.

Next, I tried both "ON" and "Off" on the dock, as this was my first thought as well.

Haven't tried looking at my network settings yet, though.. Will give it a go and see if this helps.. Otherwise, any other thoughts???
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You've just answered your own dilemma.
Pinnacle (and virtually every other NLE) will not recognize the camera via USB. The capture application is designed for 1394/iLink/Firewire, not USB.
The computer sees it, because it is new hardware but doesn't know what to do with it.

I'm afraid that isn't the problem--as I've said, I've uploaded before using the same camcorder, program and PC (and USB cable) before. It worked. It's not the cable. Any other ideas?

I'm at a loss here, as I haven't changed anything, and other software is working.

:S

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Afraid I'm out of ideas. According to Pinnacle, USB capture shouldn't work. Once Avid purchased Pinnacle, I no longer test their products, so can't say much with any intelligence.
Uninstall/reinstall the software? Do a rollback? buy a 1394 cable and capture the way the app was designed to work?

I got fed up in the end and thought probably a firewire/ilink cable would work and wouldn't hurt in any case so I just went and bought one. It did work, but I still don't get what went wrong.

Oh well, thanks for this advice--I can capture again, which is the main thing.. Now if my mouse would just stop going crazy on me...! I think I'll just buy a new one of those as well!!!

Thanks everyone!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Now if my mouse would just stop going crazy on me...! I think I'll just buy a new one of those as well!!!

Did you feed it lately? ;) j/k

Just like DSE, what I've always found is that firewire (1394) is used for uploading video. USB can be used for uploading .jpg from the camera's memory card.

Happy to hear you found a solution that works for your equipment. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

If you're mouse pad is anything but a solid color, it will cause your cursor to "jump all over" your monitor.

That might be true with really primitive optical mice, but in the past two years I've never encountered that. The mouse I have now is a mid-grade Logitech and I can run it over ANYTHING, literally with smooth cursor output. I had my computer on the floor once and was running the mouse on CARPET. I can run it over my arm or hardwood or a mousepad with crazy patterns.... same result.

Occam says: If mouse goes crazy, get new mouse.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yeah.. Mine just refuses to work. It's a cheap wireless battery type thing and doesn't seem to believe that the brand-new batteries have any juice!! It's been shit since we got it. My 2$ one I have at work that came from Walmart does a better job, *and* it's in the shape of a pink car!!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss