Acoisa

Price of camera Helmets...

Hi I want to get into flying camera and have just looked at some helmets. What struck me ist the cost of the damn thing...
A new MXV camera helmet from cookie with built in cam eye, the box for a pc9, cutaway system goes for around US $860 including tax.

Is that significantly more expensive than a similar set up from another maufacturer or would you say that thats what I have to come up with anyway for a decent camera helmet?

Mike

An FF2 built for a pc9 with the cameye built in and the cutaway system installed, including shipping, would run you just under $700. Both are damn nice helmets though, so I'm sure you would be happy with either.
Miami

Thanks for your answers guys!

Miami: Have you heard anything about the 2KC side fx helmet? It's a bit more flexible (different cameras can be mounted) than the ff2 and looks pretty sweet..
I read a review from someone who wasn't too happy about the overall material quality on that helmet.. But I have heard only good things about 2KC..

I haven't seen the new side-fx in person yet, but if it's like the previous model it's an excellent helmet as well. A huge benefit to the side-fx is the cost...significantly less than the FF2 and comes with the cutaway system standard, which is a pricey upgrade to the other helmets.

You'd be surprised how much flexibility you have with cameras in the FF2...I've had some people put as many as 8 or 9 different pc style cameras in the same helmet. I've only heard great things about the build quality in the past couple years...maybe the bad review you read was older?
Miami

As camera-life is definately a lot shorter when mounted 'outside' unprotected.

I always thought this might be true too, but if it is, why do I see the "pros" with thousands of jumps on the same camera (a 10-year old model) still undamaged, and totally exposed? Honestly, if the boxes aren't airtight, humidity is going to get to the camera just as much as without it, I'd bet.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Probably because those pros know how to treat their cameras. They are very intimate with the clearance they have in the plane, during climbout, during opening, etc.. For someone who is newer to video a box will extend the life of your camera not because of moisture (well...it will protect from a good bit of direct moisture like rain, but not against temp-change induced condensation and the like)...it will extend the life of the camera because it protects it from the users abuse.
Miami

My first and only camera (an HC90), I treated very well, in a box and in a condom. After one year and 200 jumps the swivel screen is already acting up, only works when swiveled out and up against the body. :(

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

That sucks...unfortunately you'll still have some flukes, either a camera that still breaks no matter how well you treat it...or a camera that just keep on running despite being abused like a red headed step child.

In general though, having your gear in a box will provide more protection and longer life than without.
Miami

The Bonehead FTP that I just finished putting together recently all together with the Helmet ($700), Concentric Ringsight ($250), Quick Release Mounts ($90 each), Blow Switch (My tongue switch died and I decided to replace it with a Blow switch, $35)

So it's a bit over $1000... and that's just in the helmet...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

That's what you get for having a very weak currency at the moment. Last time I was in the States the AUD USD exchange rate was about 0.70. Now it's about to touch 0.90.

That means that your helmet has gotten about 20% more expensive in the last couple of years. Something similar would apply to the FF2 as it's made in the UK.

No cameye?:P

I've been using a blow switch for the last 500 or so camera jumps and really like it...what do you think of it so far?

I had a Cameye on my previous helmet and I merely swapped it out...

I also was given a photocell as an alternative to the cameye (though I haven't had time to get it functional yet...)

so far I like the blow switch (I've heard they are more durable... B|) I am also in the process of doing something crazy like adding my 580EX flash to my helmet as well... :$

ok, I've already designed a bracket... I'm just kind of afraid to jump it... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I bought a Skydance Ion for $219.00

Added the top mount and chin cup for another $130.00

I built my own box from acrylic/plexiglass at a cost of about $20.00

The thing works great, looks good, and my total cost was around $369.00
__

My mighty steed

I have just ordered an FF3 from 2kC, it's like an FF2 only a lot simplar in that the box closes with a really strong bungee strap and takes only a second to access the camera. I paid £195.00 GBP which is around $395 USD. I should have it in about a weeks time, as soon as I do I will post some pictures.
I couldn't see it on there web site but after calling them and speaking to Steve, he told me all about it.
I also have one of there new carbon Side FX's and it is fantastic.