Callum88Adam

Repairing LANC port on Sony PC-110

My camera has stopped resonding to my CamEye inputs. I've tested the CamEye on another camera and it is working.

It seems that my LANC port may have failed. Is it possible to fix yourself, and if so, what is most likly to have gone wrong, what do I need to do, and where can I get the part int the UK?

Thanks
Why Jump Out A Plane?
Have You Seen The Legroom Out There!!!!!!!

It is possible but it takes some serious experience with disassembling ultra compact electronics. In the end you also need to be able to solder. Be forewarned that on PC style cameras you basically have to take the whole camera apart to get to the LANC connector. I fixed a PC110 a few weeks ago and needed to go so far as disconnecting the lens assembly. Pretty sure it was a 110? Anyway…

Every one has a technique with these kind of things but mine is to place some tape on a desk and label where a set of screws comes from. The PCs generally come apart in two halves. The ones I’ve seen the tape loader side comes off first and then that gives you access to get the screws out of the other side. In the end you are trying to get to the LANC connector. You’ll have to remove a few FPC connectors to get to the lanc. Some flip up and some are just pressure. Just make sure they are all seated properly when reassembling or something will not work!!!!

SPEAKING OF WHICH::::: If your camera has a flash be extremely careful!!!! You will probably get zapped and it’ll hurt really bad (legal: or kill you) Stay away from the capacitor and things that look like it connects to.

The few I’ve seen, a trace from the LANC connector to the circuit gets cut. The traces on the PCB are really narrow and by inserting the LANC over and over it puts a lot of stress on the thin PCB and the trace eventually cracks. You can ohm out between the pin on the connector and the circuit the trace goes to. Generally it’s the one furthest away from the connector itself; this is the one under the most stress. Get some rework ~30gauge wire and just bridge the crack trace (soldering it in place that is as short as possible). Put a dollop of nail polish or crazy glue on the wire to ensure doesn't move.

Reassemble going backwards through your process of disassembling it. (from car manuals)

Be careful, know your own skills, and use the right tools. Worst case; send it away to get repaired. Hell maybe I should start doing it :)

HYPOXIC

One of the vidiots at my DZ had many issues with his LANC port wearing out. To eliminate the problem, he made a short jumper that is taped into the LANC port and stays there. He then connects the jumper to the lead for the CamEye. He did the same thing for the bite switch on his SLR. If the receiving end of the homemade jumper wears out, it is a lot easier to rebuild that than working on the camera. He has had great luck with it. I plan on doing the same thing when I build my helmet.

Every PC I have had, has had the lanc take a shit. 110, 115, and 2 120's. I got about 15 minutes into the last one, without a manual, then I chickened out. I've got the manual now, in electronic form, and I might take another stab at it.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

We just had the same problem with our 110 and we sent it into Sony for work. It cost us $250.00 to replace a "chip" and we were without our camera for over two weeks. If some of these home made repairs work for you then by all means do them instead of going through the hassle with sony!
"This is better than sex, and cheaper too!"

Hi,

I had the same problem on an old PC100, I tried taking it apart and decided about halfway through to retrace my steps & stop pretending that my electronics repair abilities were as good as I thought they were.

I ended up ordering a skylight video recording indicator at :

http://www.skydanceheadgear.com/accessor.htm

I haven't received it yet, but if it does work & I get another 6 months out of the camera I'll be happy with it.

'I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood, I plan to leave it the same way.'