flyer299

Sony HD Cameras with Slow Motion

A lot of the new Sony HD Camera's (HDR-HC5/7/ etc) have a slow motion feature. Has anyone played with this in freefall? Has anyone got any exits or deployments with it?

As a whole it looks pretty useless for day to day, but looks fun to play with a little bit.

Cause 240 Frams a second is better than 30 frames a second.

It really shows more detail. As soon as I get it setup, I will post the results. I've been playing with it on the ground. The difference between this mode and normal mode and slow motion is amazing.

Let me know if you want to see some shots of Horses running in slow mo (Only subject mater I have available to me until my Flat Top Comes in).

... sounds like it could be useful for various ground shots... landings, take-offs, 360 degree panning...or exit shots, from inside the plane.....

does the slo - mo capture still allow for telephoto zooming???
pry best, if tri-pod mounted......since I'd guess the slo mo would be ultra sensitive to to camera movements...
anyway,,,
something to try.....

jmy

Slow mo from these cams applies to all optical functions. The problems/challenges are two-fold, IMO.
1-The resolution simply sucks. But this is subjective.
2-The display is always delayed/buffered as it writes, which takes some getting used to.

I do have some overcrank footage of aircraft approaches and some other stuff, but it was all shot XDCAM, which has gorgeous overcrank. But for SD delivery, this lil' cam ain't too bad.

This review has some super slo-mo for download at the very bottom of the page. You can see the resolution for yourself. This is from the V1 camera, which is better than the HC3/5/7, but you'll get a very good idea of what's going on.