Heathc

Sony HDR-CX7

Hello guys! In order to not to add some new similar threads in this forum, I'd like to ask if anyone of you has already got any experience using SONY HDR series (HDR UX1..3E, DHR SR5..7E etc.) camcorders? I'm gonna buy some camera, but have not decided yet which one.
I'd really appreciate your opinions here.

I also couldn't find any camera boxes in net for the camcorders mentioned above. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
C Ya! :)

SR1, SR3, UX1 cannot be used for skydiving as they're HDD or DVD-based storage. CX7 is great if you don't mind missing LANC and dealing with the hassle of converting AVCHD to a reasonable format for editing.
If the camcorder is static/RAM based memory or tape, it can be used for skydiving. Otherwise, it cannot.
No one is building boxes for these camcorders yet, and it may be a while before they do, as the manufacturers settle into a common housing design.

I got a CX7 last week and have been impressed with it for videoing on the ground.

I don't even own a camera helmet, yet. However, Eric at Skydive The Farm was nice enough to try it out for me. The results were mixed.

Eric's top mounted L bracket was set up for an HC5 but the CX7's screw hole is offset to the opposite side. After some drilling, the addition of a wide angle lens (no UV filter over the internal lens), and a strap to hold the display closed, the CX7 was ready to go. The optical stabilization was left on, no ports were taped, and no box or condom was used.

I had noticed a delay of 10 seconds after turning on the CX7 before it recognizes the record button. My guess is the camera is accessing the memory card. The delay is obvious when looking at the display but with the door strapped shut Eric didn't see that. So, all we got from the first jump was a lesson learned. Turn the power on earlier.

The next jump showed that for head down the camera works fine. However, in a sit it has the same optical stabilization problem as the HC7. Before the next jump, a washer was added to tighten the camera more. It did not appear to help for sit-fly.

The optical stabilization was turned off for the last jump. It did not adversely affect head-down. However the jump was going so well, Eric forgot to go into a sit.

I would like to know if there is a solution so I'll keep checking this forum and experimenting.

The family video I have taken so far is very sharp. I also like the way each clip is stored separately so finding the clip I want to review is a snap. Also, the memory card fits a slot on my printer and my Sony tv.

Thank you guys for your explanations. In the meanwhile, I did some surveys in the Internet too. As a result I have found out that the whole model range of the new SONY High Definition Handcam series ir divided in four main groups:

- High definition on hard disc drive (AVCHD);
- High definition on Memory stick (AVCHD);
- High definition on disc (AVCHD);
- High definition on tape (HDV).

According to some experienced skydivers' opinions, the last range of cameras in my list is the most suitable for skydiving.
The question now is if anyone of you have already made any stuff with the SONY camcorder (HDR-HC5E) mentioned above? What was the first impression? Please, share your opinions here.

Thanks a lot in advance.
C Ya! :)

I didn't sit with the CX I had, but it was a preproduction model anyway. FedEx claims my "shipping model" will arrive here Friday, so I'll be able to test it on Sat. This one has no bars on what I can/can't say about it, because it's a production model provided by Sony, not a magazine.
I'll post footage as soon as I can.

Now that I'm cleared of embargo, is there any interest in being able to download footage from this camera?
I've got footage both with an SD wide angle on the front end, and no wide/native HD. Which is of more interest?

Now that I'm cleared of embargo, is there any interest in being able to download footage from this camera?
I've got footage both with an SD wide angle on the front end, and no wide/native HD. Which is of more interest?

I'm certainly interested in seeing some footage from this camera.

Thanks,

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm certainly interested in seeing some footage from this camera.

Thanks,

Scott

Yah. Is it OIS or EIS? edit: NM re-read the thread.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'd like to see some CX7 skydiving video taken at the highest quality. I'm not sure at what quality the skydiving video I have was taken. Except for the shaking during the sit, it looks great. But with about 24 total minutes of video in some kind of HD and a few still pictures on my 8 gig card, it says there are still 54 minutes left on the card. That's with the camera set to AVD HD XP (highest quality). Since the manual says an 8 gig card holds 60 minutes of XP, I doubt the video already on the card is XP.

I hoped to find out how this camera does in a sit with the optical stabilization off last weekend. However, the water pipes in my yard needed some attention so I haven't been back to the DZ, yet.

Now, in case you are wondering why I'm too cheap to hire a plumber but I bought a CX7, I have a Sony Rewards card. The camera and memory card won't cost me anything once I redeem my points.

Cam did OK in a sit. I'm uploading about 5 mins worth of footage right now, slower going working over wireless, but it'll be up. No great shakes video, I'm uploading a tandem shot earlier today, left the camera running all the way to the ground. Not exciting stuff, but more "real world" for most folks. Besides, my sit sucks, the guy I was with was very lightweight and my fall rate control still isn't good. He pops in and out of frame as I sit and it wasn't his fault.[:/]
Also uploading some footage without wide lens for the rest of the world.
BTW, at full rez, you only get around 20 mins on an 8 gig card, unless I missed something here. Havent done the math, but it's 15Mbps at full rez.

It's 500MB in size, just plain ole' freefall

My crappy ISP shut us down for bandwidth as far as the two files uploaded. I'm looking for another reasonable alternative. We thought we had unlimited bandwidth, and now painfully learned we do not. I'll update as soon as I find a means of reasonably downloading 1GB files.

Thanks for the review!

Uuuu... the sound quality in the plane really sucks [:/]

No, "really sucks" would indicate that it at least 'works.'
"It's for shit" would indicate that it doesn't work at all.:D

I have figured out a way of making it work, I need to upload another tandem I did yesterday. Gaffing over the back half of the mic and setting the e-gain to the bottom, it was useable.

:Dyep. it was a good quickie test fix. I'm trying to figure a way to rubber band a bra on the cam but still keep it quick.
I'm not a huge/monster fan of this cam for skydiving, but it *is* a portent of things to come. So, trying to save you guys a little grief down the road.
It did respond very well to the gaffed on mic muff, which is encouraging. And it looks kinda cool too.

Cant you post it without requiring readers to register?

I hate to say it but what's stopping you from logging in using a fake email address... (or your dz.com email address)

though his site didn't even send me a message requiring me to confirm that I was a real person... I can't imagine DSE doing anything with your email address though... ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Got it this weekend, made my first BASE jump with it this morning and just finished watching the footage on a 50 inch HDTV.

Holy crap... that's pretty sweet. The detail in the picture is incredible, and opening shock seemed to be fine with it.

Time to buy a new computer so I can actually have smooth playback there as well. When I get the MTS format converted to MPEG I'll try to upload it somewhere.

Anybody have any advice for smooth MTS to MPEG workflows?