WatchYourStep

How do you label your DVDs for customers?

We just bought 2,000 DVDs, CD-ROMs, and dual-disk cases for $1.40 from a local company (picked it up in NH, so no shipping or tax). DVDs and CD-ROMs were silk-screened (3-color). Outer wrap was 4-color printing and assembled. Cases were white (which added 5 or 10 cents I think)

we use the ones you print yourself and stick onto the cd/dvd. write the customers name in sharpie and they get a nice dvd and cd labled with our logo and their name.

Ouch, that's a recipe for broken discs and broken dvd players.

For a CD, it's marginally OK to stick on a label. Or was, until printed DVD's became so much cheaper. Now, I wouldn't accept it anymore (we stopped using those years ago).

For a DVD, please don't stick anything at all on the discs B|

If the sticker is put on wrong or later on let's loose a bit you get an unbalanced disc, which isn't good for disc + player.
Plus the glue will damage the disc in a couple years time.

Stick with pre-printed DVD's, or print your own using white discs or lightscribe. Please get rid of stickers ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

we use the ones you print yourself and stick onto the cd/dvd. write the customers name in sharpie and they get a nice dvd and cd labled with our logo and their name.

Ouch, that's a recipe for broken discs and broken dvd players.

For a CD, it's marginally OK to stick on a label. Or was, until printed DVD's became so much cheaper. Now, I wouldn't accept it anymore (we stopped using those years ago).

For a DVD, please don't stick anything at all on the discs B|

If the sticker is put on wrong or later on let's loose a bit you get an unbalanced disc, which isn't good for disc + player.
Plus the glue will damage the disc in a couple years time.

Stick with pre-printed DVD's, or print your own using white discs or lightscribe. Please get rid of stickers ;)

in theory, this may be true. In practice, it's not. At least 3 major DZ's I've worked with have been using DVD Stomper for at least 5 years +, and no returns or complaints due to stickers coming off, damaging, or other sticker-related issue. Stickers that are misapplied certainly can throw a disc off balance, but using a tool like Stomper works just fine.
I've personally delivered several hundred Stomped discs in the broadcast world, and never once had a callback.
However...
if the cost is nearly the same, I can't imagine why anyone would undertake the labor and time vs pre-printed discs. for both dZ and my personal business, we have pre-prints with blank slots for Sharpie writing.

I've used a stomper, have it in a drawer here somewhere. But all the CDs I used to make with music mixes on them now do not play anymore. I've used various brands of discs and labels over the years, that probably has something to do with it to, but these days, why even bother. I switched first to lightscribe and then to self-printed discs when that became affordable, never looked back :)

Anyway, I don't think stickers should be used anymore commercially, and hopefully customers with stickered discs make backups before problems occur.

ciel bleu,
Saskia