WatchYourStep

How do you label your DVDs for customers?

We currently do Option 2, but I'm thinking about trying to start doing Option 3 and was wondering if anyone was doing something like this.

In case Option 3 isn't clear, here's what I mean. When you get a new music CD (if you still buy them) the CD has artwork directly printed on the CD. I think it looks nice and was thinking it would be a small step-up and the workmanship of the product. If anyone is doing this what product are you using?

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Our DZ buys the discs pre-printed now. When I first started doing DVDs I bough an Epson R200 printer to print directly on the discs. There are newer models now and you can get them for under $100. I would check out the R260.
I use Verbatim inkjet hub printable DVDs so that you can print all the way to the center of the disc.
I buy both the discs and replacement ink cartridges from meritline.com.

We currently do Option 2, but I'm thinking about trying to start doing Option 3 and was wondering if anyone was doing something like this.

In case Option 3 isn't clear, here's what I mean. When you get a new music CD (if you still buy them) the CD has artwork directly printed on the CD. I think it looks nice and was thinking it would be a small step-up and the workmanship of the product. If anyone is doing this what product are you using?

We used to do the stick on labels. We were getting quite a few complaints about DVDs not working. This year we changed over to pre-printed discs that we bought from a CD duplicator/printer. We haven't really had any complaints about that this year. They also look a whole lot better. The company we used was Proaction Media. The "digital print" they sell is a label. If you get the TruPhoto it is printing on the disc (if i remember right.) There are a bunch of companies that do this kind of work though.

I attached what our DVD looks like. The pictures and composition are all my work. (my attaching this doesn't give permision to use it :P)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Dang that looks nice.

So (clarity needed for me), that picture there is it a label on the DVD that the company does or is that actually burned onto the DVD by the company?

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

We have them preprinted and buy them in quanities at the start of each year. I'm attaching our also. I took the pictures but Alana Byrnes did the design and the text. Total cost for the preprinted in a quanity of 400 plus shipping was less then a dollar a disk. I used Diversified System Group at www.dsgi.com and they will print at up to 600dpi. If you need more accurate colors they will even do screening but thats a lot more $.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

So Phree is that actually a printed label then stuck onto the DVD or is that image burned directly onto the DVD?

I'd be interested to know if anyone is using lightscribe to burn a freefall photo or something directly onto the disk, perhaps with some text - that might look both very personal, and a nice touch.

It takes about 2-5 minutes for a few lines of text. It could take 30 minutes to burn a picture.

I would do it for a friend or if I only had one or two and could mail them within a day or so.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Dang that looks nice.

So (clarity needed for me), that picture there is it a label on the DVD that the company does or is that actually burned onto the DVD by the company?

Thanks

Like Phree it is right on the disk. I belive that it is done with 4 color offset printing.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Labels kill dvd's >:(

All our regular video staff uses inktjet printable dvd's, they print a nice fullcolor label on it using an Epson printer.

I can do that but for now i pre-made a stack of lightscribe dvds for video and cds for photos. I had a bunch of those lightscribe discs lying around anyway.

I also have labelflash dvds but although i like the blue color (obviously), they do tend to scratch much easier. Also they're not available in cd-r version. May finish my stack of those dvds, but have to uninstall Nero then install the special labelflash version, and than later install the regular/lightscribe Nero again :S[:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We also buy pre-printed DVD's and CD's. Our tandem operation is called Skyhigh Express and our colours are blue, so we have the logo and stuff printed directly onto the disks. We supply the disks in DVD covers that have a nicely printed insert in the cover, the same way a proper DVD does.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Then you are only getting a 1 color graphic on the disk. Average price of the blank white disks that are of a decent standerd (most your Walmart, etc disks are low quality) is pushing 16.95-18.00 for a pack of 50 plus shipping unless you are lucky enough to find some locally. Thats putting you already at $.36 cents a disk. Cost to have the stamp made isn't going to be cheap, neither will be ink pads to cover the size of a disk. Figure in the cost of the ink, stamp, disks that have to be tossed due to blurry stamping and you are only a couple of cents off from having someone else do all the printing and ship them to you or using a printer to make them yourself.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I recently bought a Lacie light scribe. It took about 2 minutes to design a label with our DZ name and info, a stock tandem pic and their name and date. I can change the name and date in a second. It takes about 20 minutes to burn the image, but I start it before I get in the plane and its waiting for me when I land.

I think its worth it. It personalizes the disc to each customer and looks great.

I bought an LG Lightscribe drive a few months ago and I like it. About 12 min for a label but everything comes out very light. Text comes out crisp but pictures are very hard to make out. Did I just buy crappy discs? Can anyone post a scan of one of their finished lightscribe discs?

With lightscribe you can pre-print a full label and only print the name at the time of the editing. Just a name it won't take much time 5-6 mins for a nice and dark print. Also watch which brands you buy. I tried several until I found a good one. I use CDs for the pics from TDK... nice and dark prints for DVDs I still haven't found a good one... I have been using HPs but I am not impressed with it. I've been through Memorex, Verbatim, and a couple more that I can't remember. My next try will be Philips. Most stores don't carry much of a selection what doesn't help.

I don't have much of a problem because a work in a very small DZ.... burning the full prints takes me 22mins each... I do that during the week and stock up. I always keep 20-30 printed discs.

My computers are not very fast so I ran the lightscribe on this old laptop with an external burner... and edit the video on a Mac G4 tower..... I did take a while to get proficient on it.... I have to label a CD and a DVD, burn the pics and edit the movie...... in 15mins because we are so small I do have some room for delays if I forget something...

lightscribe seems to have some positives going for it such as no printer ink required and the labelers are about 30 to 40 dollars more than a burner with out light scribe ability.
So a dvd burner with Lightscribe would cost about the price of printer ink. The DVDs are priced reasonably at around 50 cents. The only down side is it does take a long time to scribe If i had a DVD Lable with just some simple line work it would probably look great and possibly not take to long to scribe. So the labled DVDs would have to be done ahead of time. I am just wondering what kind of images can be scribed and how long it takes to scribe them?

what are you paying for pre printed DVD's ?

The few places i checked out were charging about 80cents per dvd for silk screening with 1 color and $1.23 for full color printing with a production run of 250 DVDs. I can Get light scribe DVD's for 40 cents but the long burn times are a huge down side.

wow...seriously old thread revive

I'm hugely behind the times just trying to catch up and curious if wrondering what has Changed over the
4 years