sinjin

Front float exits- while we are talking exits

I want to experiment with front float exits on free fly jumps mostly.. I was trying to sit fly off the rear step on sit trains and guerrillas and getting too much separation. i can go HD but want to keep the shot more upright..

i want some insight on how to exit from a caravan as a front float.. ours has a bar on the top and on the inside.. there is no step or handles on the outside.. there is a small edge for the roll door but not much to grab on the inside edge. do you put your left or right foot in the door. do you drop or push out ?? do you go back to the relative wind or head into the wind ?? do you get blown into the dive if you leave too late ??
dont let life pass you by

I have to admit I hated leaving front float until I found something that works for me, but now I rather like it. I'm exiting from otters, but something similar may work from a caravan, it's been years since I've jumped a caravan, but I don't remember them being that different.

My setup is this: I put my right foot near the front of the door and grab the inside bar with my right hand. I swing myself outside and press my left hand flat up against the bottom of the wing (being careful not to grab/hold onto anything that moves) I then position both my feet in the door squished all the way forward, and slide my right hand off the bar and onto the leading edge of the door frame as low down as possible and kinda squat down so that my knees are bent at almost a 90 deg angle. This gets me in a reasonably balanced stance and leaves the rest of the team with as much space as possible.

How do I leave? well, here's a video of a couple exits

On the first jump (the right way :P) I fall off, going directly to my head with my chin down and very little drag out so that I can get "below" them a little bit, after the first second or two, it's business as usual.

On the second jump (the wrong way B|) I jump out, smacking the back of my head on the tire, and having to lean on Mel for a second while both my camera and vision come back into focus... ...after that, it was business as usual. :$ ...but yeah if you climb that far forward... don't jump out away from the plane.

/edited to add: Oh... and the camera is a PC-105 with a royal-lens 0.3x

thanks for the posting the video and the advice.. how hard is it to stay in position while the team gets ready ? is your chest parallel with the side of the plane to decrease wind resistance on your body. the left hand pushing on the wing is a great tip.. glad you made it ok after biffing the tire with your melon.

blues and sharp pics,,

p
dont let life pass you by

thanks for the posting the video and the advice.. how hard is it to stay in position while the team gets ready ? is your chest parallel with the side of the plane to decrease wind resistance on your body. the left hand pushing on the wing is a great tip.. glad you made it ok after biffing the tire with your melon.

Once I lower myself and I have my knees bent I'm quite comfortable there and could hang out for a while if I had to. I actually open up my shoulders and have my back more towards the front of the plane, that makes my move as I leave less complicated and I feel more balanced that way. Opening up like that does expose you to more wind though, and if you're jumping from a caravan the extra prop blast you get right there might make that harder to do.

Exits are funny, nothing works for everyone and from every plane. But you start out with something and tweak it until it works.