ChrisL

side or top?

I have a Sony DCR-HC48.

This is a newer model roughly the same diemnsions as the HC20, 30, 40 etc

I already bought a Ion helmet and side mount for the camera
which arrive tomorrow

I read in another post yesterday someone say that you cant use these Sony cameras on a side mount as they are too wide.

Is this true or was that just this persons preference?

I dont want to have to purchase another mount, and frankly I prefer it on the side.

Thoughts?

Incidentally, I do RW mostly. No freeflying.
__

My mighty steed

Its a huge item to be mounting to the side of your head and you'll probally end up getting riser strikes all the time with it. It can be done, but its probally going to be mor comfortable on top.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Would I need to mount it farther back as opposed to directly on top?

I dont usually have my head straight up and down when I'm belly flying...

Whats the best way to determine the optimal spot to mount it?
__

My mighty steed

Whats the best way to determine the optimal spot to mount it?

With top mounting I have always followed the thinking that keeping the weight centered over your spine is better in the long run for your health and helps keep the CG in line over the spine. Now you might also get lucky and find it is balanced well and won;t fall over when not on you head, this is good. But it may fall over, I'll take a centered CG over a balanced helmet any day.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

convenience aside, you won't believe how much difference does it make to have a top mount for competition RW

My concern over top mounting is my fear of whacking the camera on things, the door, people, etc.

I'm not planning on being a videographer shooting video of other people doing RW, so when I say RW I'm meaning that I will be doing RW

Wont a top mount cause more hazard of smacking the camera?
__

My mighty steed

Top mount will smack the camera on climb out, in the plane and if you take an agressive dock. Side mount will be smacked on opening and possible sheer the camera off or damage your risers. Pick your poision...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Top mount will smack the camera on climb out, in the plane and if you take an agressive dock. Side mount will be smacked on opening and possible sheer the camera off or damage your risers. Pick your poision...

Does a larger rig (V357) have less chance of riser strike?
__

My mighty steed

Topmount for FS inside video is not good; you'll hit it on exit a few times for sure if you're point or inside center. Bad idea IMO. If you're tail or outside centre, it might work.

Sidemount is much better for inside video but your camera is too big you'll hit it too.

I jump a suitable combo for whatever I'm doing: a "real" camera helmet with topmounted video (TRV25) and stills for outside video and a freefly-type helmet with a very small sidemount (PC106) for inside.

Pick the right tool for the job, in your case a sidemounted 2nd hand small pc-type camera would be perfect.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I borrowed a side mounted helmet with a Sony PC from a mate before I decided what to buy.

I was jumping a Sabre 1 (150). Every opening produced an 'Exorcist' like head rotation through riser slap - this was not funny. Also, under canopy I found that my head movements were restricted because the camera kept wedging up against the left riser.

I bought a flat top as a rsult of this experience and I have a HC3 on top with a Canon 350 on the front. The helmet weight is about 8lbs in total. Even though the Sabre 150 always produces a brisk opening I have never had any pain or strains or any sort of injury.

My advice would be take the 'top mounted' route.

Regards

Red Kite

PS To protect the top mounted camera, I fitted a couple of hollow aluminium tube 'roll bars'. Simple and they do the trick while you get used to the headroom. I bashed the roll bars a couple of times early on but now I instinctively know how low to duck!!!

Yes, generally, the yoke will be wider and therefore the risers will be wider apart. I wear a pretty big side mount (PC-120 with a bonehead box) and keep my head tucked upon opening. Of course long boogies kill my neck. Side mounts kinda blow for RW but IMHO work great for freefly, especially when you are going to be "in" the jump.

If you can mount it on top do it. Know the risks of the side mount and in the end it's your decision.
HYPOXIC

Thanks for the info all.

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a top mounting platform.

The new camera just arrived and its actually a full half inch wider than its predecessors. The DCR-HC20, 30, and 40 are about 2 inches wide.
This new DCR-HC48 is 2.5 inches.
__

My mighty steed