BigM

Storage Cabinet Ideas - Help Please

I have finally tired of dragging all of my editing equipment back & forth to the DZ, as well as setting it up and tearing it down every weekend. I am planning on buying or building a storage/editing cabinet to leave everything in... set up and ready to go. I have thought of buying a metal cabinet (easy way out) and I have thought of building a custom plywood job (not the easy way out). I was wondering if any of you had other ideas (pics maybe?). I have a mixer, title maker, DVD recorder, CD player, and monitor to store/mount.

Many thanks in advance.
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

That is my line of work, carpentry and design. I built just such a cabinet for the editing staff at our DZ. The craftmanship, although adequate is just plain and simple, kind of built in a hurry. But the design impresses most that see it. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them for you.

I was wondering if any of you had other ideas

Yea sell all that other crap and buy a mac bookpro or imac, make better videos almost as fast and just unplug it and put into your carry bag and go home. ;):P:D

Best move I ever made was selling my mixer, titler, sound board, cd player, tv's. and got a 17 inch g4 powerbook, much easier then hauling around all that other shit and hooking it all up and taken it down, like you said.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Best move I ever made was selling my mixer, titler, sound board, cd player, tv's. and got a 17 inch g4 powerbook, much easier then hauling around all that other shit and hooking it all up and taken it down, like you said.

Yeah, if you don't mind the rendering time it takes to turn out at DVD that is... :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

How is it your doing it without rendering ?
I'm assuming you have a dvd recorder and exporting back to camera ,then from camera to recorder?

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Yep and it is quick and easy and takes very little time to do. The newer G5 lines have a adapter you can get and by pass the camera, not sure if it works on my model, never used one. Aerialcameraman on here dose it that way.

Big Steve @ the Farm has a imac and while I didn't time it he burns in iDVD and it seemed pretty dam fast, I was surprised how fast.

I needed a laptop to be portable not a desktop, but down the road I can see getting a desktop for home.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yeah, if you don't mind the rendering time it takes to turn out at DVD that is... :P

ltdiver

what rendering time?;)

I have an imac g-5 20 in. with 2.1 processor and 1.5 gig of ram ,soon to be upgraded to 2.5 ram .
I just have not sat down to order it .
Here's a link to the best deal's iv'e seen for upgrades!

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/4200DDR2M2GB/

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Yep and it is quick and easy and takes very little time to do. The newer G5 lines have a adapter you can get and by pass the camera, not sure if it works on my model, never used one. Aerialcameraman on here dose it that way.

Big Steve @ the Farm has a imac and while I didn't time it he burns in iDVD and it seemed pretty dam fast, I was surprised how fast.

I needed a laptop to be portable not a desktop, but down the road I can see getting a desktop for home.

these days, it seem cheaper to buy 2 desktops then 1 laptop...

One for home, one for the DZ

I just bought a 3.2, Gig of ram. 256 meg G-force, DVD burner 400 gig HD for $500!

Getting unreasonably inexpensive...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

ltdiver

what rendering time?;)

Okay, okay...:$ Guess my very old machine (powerbook G4) just can't keep up with you young'en's toys. :)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

ok, I am a little slow and these may be of no use to you anymore, but as I promised, here are a few pictures of my design.

One key factor to this design is the removable work platform. The first three pictures show this. Once it is locked into place, it not only provides a work area, but also holds the doors in place. The right door at 90 degrees and the left at 180. You could have any combonation there of, this is what seemed to work best for our needs.

The work platform itself is hinged in the middle for storage. There is another shelf in the unit that is not being used. It would raise the mixer and titler a couple of inches and allow for the work platform to be stroed under it. If I were to build this again, I would instead lower the VCR, DVD, and monitors a tad, and add the shelf right at the top, kind of a double ceiling and store the work platform there. By design this station should be totally self contained when closed. On the other hand, you could forego the hinges and just prop the platform up, or store it behind the unit when not in use.

Originally was not built to hold a PC. We made the mod for the tower in the lower compartment last weekend. This weekend I we plan to slid the lower TV monitor to the right, and mount the PC monitor in its place. The key board will then store on top of the mixer and titler.

Other mods: The doors will eventially have shelves in them to match the users needs. I did not install the sound mixer in the right door, altough it is in a good place, the two vertical boards on either side of it need to be removed.

For now, my working drawings of this unit are just that. I do plan to finish them up and add them to my list of complete how to drawings. If you are interested let me know and I will rush that up.

Also, I must add, my build time on the unit in the pictures was about a half a day, at the dz with limited tools, so please excuse the simple workmanship.