jtval

How long has your gear lasted?

Specifically Video cameras.

How long have you been jumping with your current video cam and do you have it in a box?How many jumps have you put on them? what model do you own?

I have 2 camera's ( i bought the 2nd when I had to send my first to get the heads aligned.) and they still work.

I started jumping video in november 2003 ( i think) I will go through my logbook and get a closer date)
I put about 200 jumps on my TRV22 and about 550 on my TRV19 Other then minor glitches they have been work horses for me. every aspect of the camera still works (screens, microphone,zoom etc)
and the quality is still clear. (no dust or thread caught in the lens etc)

They are top mounted and in a box.

I use the TRV19 as my primary because the warrenty is still valid. Once both cameras do not have a warrenty I will use the TRV22 as primary due to the editing effects (primarily cross fade)

Please post your history with your gear.
My photos

My Videos

I own a Sony PC 109 and have been jumping it since jump number 280 or so, that's roughly 500 odd jumps on the camera in just over 2 years. It's mounted on an L bracket on my Optik. Everything still works on the cam, mic, touch screen, lens, etc.

The only prblem i've had with it so far was when the ribbon cable that connects the lens to the motherboard suffered some friction damage and made the cam zoom in and out uncontrollably. That was solved by the techie at sony re-insulating the cable for me. Since then i have had the cam serviced once and touch wood haven't had any problems with it.

B|

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I think cameralife mostly depends on how you mount your camera.
Safe inside a D-Box, or just outside (maybe wrapped in a neoprene jacket)

Wind/Moisture tend to break cameras quite quick..give em all kinds of failures..blocky images etc..

Think Im over 500 jumps on my current camera (mounted inside FF2 helmet). Still going strong...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

For what its worth I got about 600 jumps out of my PC9 before the Firewire out port fried for the second time and I couldnt be bothered to replace it. The camera was mounted in a cage - but not a box - on top of a FTP and jumped in all kinds of UK weather. The camera casing was getting very tattty but all the cameras functions worked fine until the DV out quit again.

Use your wings Johnny....

Over 1500 jumps on my TRV-38, top-mount, no box or neoprene. The only problem is that the zoom sometimes gradually creeps outward when I am zoomed in on something. It is very slow and doesn't happen all the time (and good thing it isn't the other way around). No other problems at all. Glad I never got a box. Woulda just wasted money and got in the way.

I got 8 years out of a PC-1 side mounted with no D-box or jacket. My best guess puts that at about 2000 jumps, give or take a few hundred.

I agree, i just use my screen for so many things when i film tandem videos. I have a few select shots that i really like that are filmed low to the ground and being able to go down on one knee, place the helmet low to the ground, open the screen and shoot is the easiest way. :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Some of the later PC series was more fragile than earlier models but still held up pretty well. I still have a pc100 from 2001 and the thing is built like a tank. The camera is a workhorse. I know of a few PC1s still holding strong over thousands of jumps and 8ish or more years.

I used to have it mounted on an L-bracket and about 2 years ago a switched to a Rawa.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.

I've got nearly 1000 jumps on a PC105 in a Bonehead DBox on an Optik. The camera has taken a bunch of abuse but still shoots a good video. I'm getting ready to send it in on warranty because the warranty is about to run out. It's got a few broken plastic parts and could probably use a good cleaning so I'm going to take advantage of the last few months of the warranty and get her tip top again.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer