Kimblair13

Fading to black...

I have a HC32. The way our video editor wants the vids to end is us fading to black.
With my set-up...it involves taking off my helmet, opening up the case (FF2), having to set my rig down, opening the screen and going thru menu's. I pay someone to edit...all in the field after I land and am waiting for my tandem to land...so it's really not worth the hassle to me to do all that. So I've been going to the sun and then just covering the lense to be black for a couple seconds.
The other video guys here have older cameras that the fade to black button is on the outside of their camera, which allows them to just reach up and hit a button.
I've used editing equipment where you can just fade out to black...but our editor doesn't have that so I guess it's not really an option.
Anyway...wanting to know if anyone has an idea or knows of a way I can fade to black AFTER I've recorded everything I want???

put your hand over the lens!

Or zoom in to something close like the TM's rig.

OR...You can throw the camera at the grond and let it fade automatically. LOL

I wouldn't suggest the latter method,though.
My photos

My Videos

After you have finished the job you can go go into the digital effects in the camera and:

1. set it to "overlap"

2. press the lens against your thigh or something which will give you a black surface and press record for a few seconds.

In the video it seems like you fade from the last shoot "the smiling passenger"-"the sun"-"the twin otter"-and fade to black.

I dont buy that. I've used the same camera since I started jumping video( after I had it realigned the camera works just like day one.

I use the LCD on EVERY jump to change settings while inthe plane and when out.

I use a TRV 22.
My photos

My Videos

Our standard tandem video requires lots of on-camera fades. This isn't too big of a deal for the folks with PC-series cameras with fade buttons, but my HC-40 required a little creativity to achieve the same result. I jump a BH Optik with a BH d-box. I'm guessing your HC-32 / FF2 will require something similar.

I started by figuring out how to turn off the LCD screen and which areas of the screen to tap to turn on/off and change fades. Once I had the sequence, it really came down to pressing two spots: the bottom left and center right of the screen, so I drilled two holes in the left side of my d-box. The holes are just big enough for my gloved finger to tap the screen, which is left facing outward for this purpose.

I'm not a fan of lots of fades, favoring straight cuts, but the DZ wants black, mosaic, and overlap fades on every video. It's not too bad once you get used to it, but the LCD screen doesn't give much tactile feedback for the times when you're trying to set a fade with the helmet on.

Black fades in or out should be pretty simple using this method. Whenever possible, use the viewfinder to confirm your fade settings. A cameye II will also indicate that the tape is reversing for an overlap fade, which can be helpful.

Have fun fading,

Lance

You can always just take your helmet off and hold it for the post landing interview. Rather than go to a sunshot at the end which in my opinion is great, BTW... you can just lower the camera to the ground burying the lens in the grass until it "fades" to black... That way you can still have your fade to black without using affects... just a suggestion.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer