velocityphoto

SONY HDR CX7??

the unit I was given for a short test had some issues. On the side of skydiving, I can say it worked.
On the question of image quality, the pre-production model I had wasn't complete nor software-updated, so I'll reserve comment. I expect to have another CX in my hands not later than next Wed (6/27/07).
I'll reserve image quality comments til then.
Remember, this is AVCHD. For editing (currently) you've got two choices in the typical DZ workflow;
a-capture analog SD over composite (Loses most benefit of static mem)
b-use an NLE that accepts AVCHD. currently Avid Liquid sorta manages it, Sony Vegas manages Sony/JVC AVCHD but not Panasonic (Panny chose their own flavor of codec again) Sony says they'll support Panny soon.

If you don't want to use SD capture, if you want to use AVCHD, the other option is to purchase EleCard for $49.99, and CineForm NEO for $149.99 This will give you access to converted AVCHD in any NLE except FCP.[:/]

AVCHD is going to be the next DV, but it will be a while before its all compatible like DV has become.

The main disadvantage of the cx7/6 is the lack of lanc in my eye's. It does specify it has a remote through the multi a/v interface. Can you elaborate on that?

Also, are there any problems expected like the hc-7 had?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Also, are there any problems expected like the hc-7 had?

It has the optical stabilizer (similar to the HC7) instead of the digital one (like the HC3 and 5). However, I've always wondered what part of the problems are related to the stabilizer and what part is related to tape flutter.

The CX7 looks pretty tempting. I'm hoping DSE will have more thorough feedback soon, but I'm very tempted to take my chances and get one when it comes out. If I do, I'll report back here.

Got the shipping notice today...so should have cam tomorrow. Won't have the opp to jump it til Friday, but will report ASAP. I've been assigned to write about it for a magazine anyway, so taking lotsa notes.

yup, got two jumps in with it so far. I'll post a full review as soon as I submit the contracted review to the magazine that hired it.
Nice lil' cam. They should be on store shelves shortly.

Ya tease.:(:P
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

When you're done, could you comment on the ability to use NLE for tandem DVD's with this cam? (Import files, aprox 5-10 xfades and write a 5-10 minute movie to DVD in aprox 20 minutes)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Guys,
I've promised the magazine that I won't say anythign til they have the opportunity to post/publish my review (they paid for it, so...)
I'll say this though, the camera does not disappoint in freefall.
I'd hoped to get at least a sitfly out of it over the weekend, but all my jumps were working jumps, and busy. I've got another 3 days with the cam, I'll try to get something in.