azureriders

Best video camera choice for tandem videos and linear editing???

My PC330 just went down and I am reduced to my back up, a PC9, so it is time to spend some money I guess.

I shoot mostly tandems and we have a full time editing staff that is using an older linear system, none of this will probably change anytime soon so this is what I want to focus on.

I am not looking to pinch pennys on this one, I just want what is going to give me the best picture quality for my situation. My thoughts, although I am open to others, are PC1000, HC96, HC5. Will the HC5 shoot much better video while shooting in SD than other SD cameras?

I plan to upgrade to HD when the time is here, but it is not here for me yet. I am sure that by that time there will be something new out there, but if an HD camera will give me the best SD video for now, then I am all for it.

I am side mounting at the time, but have plans to go top mount, if this is the time then so be it, if not, that is good too, I am really all about picture quality for now.

Thanks in advance and sorry for another 'what camera' thread, but I wanted some input on my exact situation.

I'd recommend an HC5, but don't shoot in DV/SD, shoot in HDV, but downconvert to DV on output. You'll have a MUCH better image. Of course, if you're just turning tapes over, this won't work if they don't have an HDV deck.

I'd recommend an HC5, but don't shoot in DV/SD, shoot in HDV, but downconvert to DV on output. You'll have a MUCH better image. Of course, if you're just turning tapes over, this won't work if they don't have an HDV deck.

Exactly, so I am still curious, if I shoot in SD with an HC5, how will the quality compare to a PC1000 or a HC96, or others.

I am familiar with the PC1000, the only thing I really know about the HC96 is that is the newest thing on Sony's SD miniDV page.

Thanks, your help is always greatly appreciated

I have done this for 4 years and i have bought 4 hc 40 and none of them work right at all and gave me trouble. the image is ok.

sony tech support sucks terrible and its the firmwhere thats the problem.

i have one sony hc 42 and thats a little better.

i have seen the hc3 and the hc5 and thy look great and i have a friend with a hc 96 and that 96 is awesome.

i cant recomend anything i dont know much i am letting you know what i have ran into and the 3 cameras that were really good from my friends

Chris

Shooting HDV and downconverting is best for linear editing, yes.
If you can shoot/edit HDV and not downconvert in camera, but output to MPEG2 SD from the HDV source is the best idea from an NLE workflow.

Shooting HDV and downconverting is best for linear editing, yes.
If you can shoot/edit HDV and not downconvert in camera, but output to MPEG2 SD from the HDV source is the best idea from an NLE workflow.

Can the tape shot in HDV be played back on the older Sony PC series type cameras?

I will need to get new video camera soon, but where I work we use a fulltime editor and they use the old PC series for the linear editing. Gonna be a problem?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If you shoot HDV, then you MUST capture from an HDV cam. No choices.
Were I in the market to buy a camera in the next 3 months, I'd wait. Were I in the market to buy a camera tomorrow, I'd purchase an HC5/7/3.
There are two new cameras, both of which we'll have for testing in the next 30 days, that I'll report on. Both are CF-based, both AVCHD, both look promising. It won't be HDV, which is easy to edit. It won't be HDV, which is easy to convert...but it *is* tapeless/driveless.
This past weekend, I had to hand off my work to an editor due to high volumes. I had the camera downconvert with the cam still mounted to my helmet, so he was capturing DV wide. Looked pretty good anyway, still FAR FAR better than the DV my co-workers are shooting. Then again, I'm shooting stuff that isn't tandem-only, as much of it is going to other avenues. But...I shoot everything in HDV regardless of where it's going to end up, simply because I have an archive. I've jumped a few bigger cameras, but frankly...the difference is no longer that great between 16mm and HDV converted to Sheer or CineForm or other DI...so it's not gonna get much better on a bang per pound comparison. That'll change late this summer though.;)