Deano

Cookie Blackbox HC5/HC7

The HC5 is my first top mount camera. Just wondering if costing more than 1/4 the price of the camera, I'm not sure if the box is going to get in the way more than it is worth for protection.

1. It looks like it is impossible to get access to the LCD screen while the box is closed. The cutout required for the screen would be large and the hinge appears to be in the way as well. If anyone has, I would like to see some pics.

2. If opening the screen is out of the question, has anyone cutout the rear to have access to the eyepiece. Since it doesn't pull out very far, is viewing through it possible?

Deano

IMHO boxes are a waste of money, weight, and space. At least on a top mount. They also hurt audio pick-up (important if you do tandem videos). I have never used a box for a top-mount camera, and never had a problem. Also, I like being able to access lots of camera controls (focus, zoom, AE comp, LCD, etc.). Save your money and get a quality lens instead. Just make sure you support the bottom of the lens so nothing can get underneath it. I put a block under the lens, and stuff open cell foam between the block and microphone to cut down on wind noise.

Like I said, I've never had a problem. I go through lots of wet air (rain, ice, clouds), and I try not to have "careless" landings. (I also try to avoid head-butting people and planes either in the sky or on the ground.) But I typically rest my helmet on the camera itself when I put it down, and I'm often in a hurry when I do. Never had a problem.

My guess is that people get a box just because they see other people using them. But I think they are superfluous, and do more to get in the way. I do use a box for my rarely used side-mount set-up (Nvertigo X), but that is really just to protect against riser strikes.

Agreed, hardly anyone uses a box at my DZ. Although most have a metal bracket of some kind to support the lens, and some have fabric-type coverings for their cameras.

I always thought the boxes too expensive in relation to the camera (1/4 to 1/2 the price!); digital equipment loses value soooo fast these days it's not worth it for most cameras (now maybe if i had an A1...).

Also there're pretty cumbersome, don't like that at all.

And they generally won't fit the new camera you buy either...

My video camera is a bit scratched up but still works fine even after a botched landing or two :) It's 5yrs old now so not worth much anymore and I'm glad I saved the money :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia