MedicJumper

remote shutter release jack on a compact camera

Anyone ever seen a non DSLR camera with a remote jack for a bite switch?

I'm a new camera flyer and have only used a Canon D20 mounted on a flat top pro + a sony camcorder and find the weight ridiculous... [:/]

I know there's stuff out there that weigh much more for you professional dudes but for me, a nice compact camera with good resolution would do just as well... and before you ask, all that equipment is not mine, it's from work. I've kinda been put in the camera role by default but found I really enjoy it and would like to set myself up with my own gear. I already know what I want for a helmet and camcorder but for a still???

On an aside I can't believe the amount of knowledge there is on this site! I've learned an unbelievable amount from you guys so thanks! DSE, I don't know who you are buddy but you look like you know your stuff!
Somewhere, someone is training when you are not. When you race him, you will loose.

DSE, I don't know who you are buddy but you look like you know your stuff!

WE don't know him, he's just some bum who wondered in off the street muttering something about spare change and a jumpsuit.......:P

Oh yea you might want to ask Laslo A.(sp) about the light weight stills they all use in the hills for tdms, but I think it is 35mm film not digital.;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yes, there is a lot of good stuff on this site. Glad you found out about it! :)
On my opinion (pencil-neck-geek here), I like the lighter SLR's of Canon variety. I like to keep the weight on my head light as well and like you find the D20 a bit heavy. I use the 300D (original Digital Rebel). However, the Canon 400D (or even the 350D (XTi)) makes sense. They're newer, smaller, and take great pictures as well.

However, if you still want to go 'compact' take a look at some previous posts made here in the years past. Some posts more recent than others. Perhaps this will feed you some information?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_7&search_type=AND&search_string=compact+camera

Happy flying.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

We still use film for our stills and therefore use modified cannon elphs. I have yet to find a lighter weight set up than mine.(Sony camera, elph camera and two aluminum brackets from the local metal shop. I think the quick release brackets weigh too much and really are not necessary.)

Thanks for the kind words, but on the subject of lightweight/point n' shoots...I'm clueless. Laszlo probably will be a great help. I have seen some modified Elph cams, with an RCA jack sticking out of the housing, but don't know how they arrived at that mod.

Thank you StratoStar and DSE to mention me.
Yes I'm using a Canon Elph LT (only 4oz!!!).
I can make the modification. This model uses APS film which is is more expensive but I found some cheap stuff online for $1.25 per roll. (have to buy 20 or more...) The 23mm lens provides a view as 28mm in the 35mm format. I've been ( so as lot of others) using mine for 3yrs without any problem.
I currently working and experimenting with a similar size and weight digital poin-shoot camera (5Mp by Kodak). I'll let you guys know if it works...
If anyone interested about the Canon Elph mod. please PM to me.
Thanks!
-Laszlo-

Fianally...
I've succesesfully modified a Kodak V-570 point and shoot digital camera. It works with a bite switch with no problem. It can take 30-35 pictures during a skydive at 5MP resolution. The angle of view is 23mm in 35mm format (it's wider than my XT with the 15mm lens!!! 15x1.6=24). The whole thing is the size of the cigarette box and weights 4oz.
I tetsed it yesterday while I was doing a tandem and took pictures of my camarea chick Carol Sternberg.
The conditions were terible, which was perfect to do the test. Wet, dark, and big change in temperature very fast. The camera functioned and performed well.
Now the question is: Will the camera work for a few houndred jumps?
Please check out the attached pictures!
-Laszlo-

I thought you were gonna post pics of the camera.

Can you?

I would be interested in seeing it.

I mod'd my Elph APS cam and tried to mod a Digi and , well, it didn't work.

to much stuff in there to get it to work.

are the insides of the V-570 simple?
My photos

My Videos

Yes I'm using a Canon Elph LT (only 4oz!!!).
I can make the modification.... I've been ( so as lot of others) using mine for 3yrs without any problem.
I-Laszlo-

I LOVED MY ELPH. I am actually going to post it in the classifeds soon.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the elph was the quality.
Compared to a rebel it was like a cavedrawing.:ph34r:
But I used it for about 3 years and NEVER took it off my helmet. Jumped it everytime because there was no reason to remove it, even if I was shooting.

I jump the Digi everytime because it is SO easy to sell stills if they see them, Plus you get to keep the best shots for your portfolio.

(for those who haven't seen the difference in clarity)
first shot is a Digi
second is APS.
My photos

My Videos

the prinjted look good but I pay for them to be put on disc when I get them developed.
I know they intentionally lower the quality but thats all I could do.

anything more than an 8X`10 is just not worth printing.

at full scale the digi rebel will print at 24X36 (or is it 24X 30) so if I were to print an 8X10 I am actually shrinking the pic.
My photos

My Videos

I'll post a picture of the modified camera too, I was just lazy to take one.
The intention of this camera of is not quality, it's a super light weight, but still providing descent shots.
The 4oz becomes very nice when you have to make 40-50 tandem videos per week. I wish I had something like this when I started, now I wouldn't have any neck problems for sure.
...of courseI have a 5D and some nice glasses for real photography too.
Tandem is a mass production. They get what they really pay for. So far obody actually complained about quality issues against my Elph which I've been using for over 3yrs.
-Laszlo-

5mp? is that the qual of the new digi setup?

Shit, no one shoud complian about that.
Rebels and 30Ds may be normal in the skydiving field but to Joe Public 5 MP is a good pic.

I've been sop spolied since I got my rebel.
I don't even want to use my 5mp for anything but thats just dumb.lol

I quick pic is fine, but I ALWAYS find myself dissappionted if I didnt have my "good" camera with me.
My photos

My Videos

I successfully modified a Sony DSC-V1 with the RM-VD1 remote to work with a bite switch (see attached pics - but bear in mind they were annotated for a non-skydiver). I can pass along details of how the mod is done if interested.

I am getting about 20-30 pictures in freefall. At 5M, they are pretty good resolution and have gotten some fantastic 8X10s out of the camera. It is a bit heavier than other point and shoots, but I had it on hand. This method could potentially be used for other Sony point and shoots with a lanc/acc port (if it uses the RM-VD1 remote).

I have not forgotten about you DSE, still working on the instructions!

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

Here's a few pics of the Kodak V-570 after modificatin. I have to mount the jack out side since there's no room for it inside what so ever.
The V-705 has an exactly same body and same wide lens (23mm in 35mm equiv. !!!) except 2 more MP resolution. Personally I don't think that makes a difference anyway...
The camera can take 15-20 pictures during a skydive. (which is plenty). Some of my friends made few houndred of jumps with it without any problem.
The altimeter is a reference for the size of the camera.
-Laszlo-