lildemmer

Sony alpha 100

So, I got a sony alpha 100 for a present from my father for use as a still camera for skydiving. At first I was all excited but now I am a little unsure. I don't think that there is a bite switch made for the Sony cameras. Does anyone know anything about it? Or have any advice? I was thinking of ordering a remote shutter switch and a bite switch and splicing them....Anyway I would appreciate any and all help thanks.
-John

Does anyone have any experience using this camera for Skydiving?

I'm almost ready to hand over cash but worried that it has optical steady shot which may not be suitable for Skydiving,

I've heard with digital camcorders that the Digital steady Shot on the HC7 is no good and the digital steady shot on the HC5 is better at keeping the image steady.
Is this the same for still images with the DSLR?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

Not sure which is why no one I know is jumping one, it's an expensive experiment :S

There's a reason almost all cameramen are jumping Canon or Nikon, ie, they work.

Personally I wouldn't risk it, seen problems with other cameras where the sensor could move, I predict you'll have problems with it.

So let us know how you get on if you do decide to jump it ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No experience w/skydiving, but Jim Peterson, a fairly known sports photographer for the Packers, merely dropped it and it broke. He claims it's quite flimsy.
I picked one up at a trade event, and it didn't feel like a substantial camera, but then again, neither does the 18-55 lens that comes with some of the Canons, and many folks like this lens for skydiving.

Does anyone have any experience using this camera for Skydiving?

I'm almost ready to hand over cash but worried that it has optical steady shot which may not be suitable for Skydiving,

I've heard with digital camcorders that the Digital steady Shot on the HC7 is no good and the digital steady shot on the HC5 is better at keeping the image steady.
Is this the same for still images with the DSLR?

I used to jump the Maxxum 7 before I switched to digital and it's a fantastic camera. When the 7D (The Alpha is just Sony's version of the 7D) finally came out I picked one up since I already had a good collection of lenses. It worked great for skydiving - no problems with the image stabilizer at all.

I eventually began to have problems with the camera back focusing so I sent it back and had it re-calibrated but it started again after a few weeks. I eventually sold it and switched to Nikon gear.

Before you pick up an Alpha, take a look at the lens selection. It's not very comprehensive and the "A" mount lenses are very expensive.

Action©Sports

One reason is i'm working in a Sony Centre for Christmas and I can get a good price on it.

I've always liked Sony and i've played around with the camera (no idea what i'm doing) but i think i like it
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232