WatchYourStep

Jack on the XTi?

Easy question...

I'm ordering a switch for my XTi today and I don't have it in front of me to look at.

Is the jack for the remote switch a 2.5mm jack or a digital plug?

Thanks guys.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Yup. My advice on the switch though, if you're ordering one of the conceptus switches from Paragear, get a tongue and not a bite switch, the tongue switches seem to last a little longer.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Well my first bite switch lasted me a good few hundred jumps then crapped out, so no complaints there, it served me more than well. I ordered a tongue switch a month or so ago and it just seems like there's less pressure being placed on the switch, plus there's no chance of overbiting while the canopy opens, etc, which i saw from a lot of the guys that have just started flying a stills camera. IMO the tongue switch will last longer...

I have a tounge switchs on 2 camera helmets and it works great! I had one crap out really quick and contacted Conceptous and they helped out great! Very good service as I remember from over a year ago!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

the blow switch does not come with a plug,, but you can find some around ,, i went to an electronics store and the geeks behind the counter will find one for .. tell them it is for skydiving and they will probably give it to you for free.. i love my blow switch and i recommend it..
dont let life pass you by

I LOVE the bite switch.

I have had three.
one eventually died on me the second I customized to use on my FILM elph( when tyey stopped making the mono plugs.) still useable but I am digtal now.

the the third is the one for my digi.

after the first one died on me ( i bit thru the coating) I realized I didnt have to chomp on it.

I dont like the tonuge switch because I cant tell when the switch is pushed.
My photos

My Videos

I don't have any problems getting mine to run the auto focus, and I run it about 90% in FF, must be how you wired it.

And the rest of you guy's are cracking me up with all the talk about how long your bite switches lasted. I've been using the same blow switch for the last eight yrs, twice I did have to replace the eye dropper rubber, so I went to 24-hr. drug store and got a new eye dropper and pulled the rubber off, for maybe 2 bucks total. ;)
So how much did those new bite switches cost and they lasted how many years?:D

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

LOL..Blow me:D

I have never even seen a blow switch.

My bites have lasted (the first one ) about 1year
the second lasted so far 2.5 years. with no problems

the third has only been used a few times.

My photos

My Videos

after the first one died on me ( i bit thru the coating) I realized I didnt have to chomp on it.

I dont like the tonuge switch because I cant tell when the switch is pushed.

yeah i think a lot of people chomp on it far too hard, like i said earlier, i've seen plenty photos of the ground during opening as well - too much adrenaline in the system i guess.

When i first got the tonque switch i thought the same thing but touch wood haven't had a problem with it yet.

I take one picture of the ground once Im under canopy.

I think as a first time skydiver that it's an interesting picture; to see the point of view.

especially for those who have never flown before.
My photos

My Videos

That's actually a really nice idea! But what i was talking about was being so jazzed during opening that you've got that sucker bit down so hard you fire off like 10 snaps :D it happened to me the first few times i flew my stills and then i learnt not to bit on it :D

Well, 1. I jump a 20d and the plug to the cam is not the same. 2. I don't want to post advice and have it be wrong. 3. My advice is to take a look at it (the wiring) 4. I did help another soder up his XT with a 2.5 plug, if I remember correct it is the same as the 20d as for how the three wires are run. There should be a white, black and brown wires. ( I'm not opening up mine to look) but the two wires that run the motor fuctions of the camera (auto focus and shutter) need to be together and the the other is ground and need to be alone. You will need to open up yours and look, my guess is you have left out one wire (brown or black) So you need rewire it and do a test with the wires to see what one's run everything. But as long as it is the same as the 20d ( I believe it is, from memory) white= ground, black=shutter, brown=auto, hook up black and brown together and it needs to be your hot lead and white is ground and is the cold lead. On the blow switch it shouldn't really matter what plug you hook up hot or cold as long as there hooked up in a circut. I think my hot leads are on the top. (long prong)

5. seek advice of a local camera person who can help you in person and has done the wiring before, so you don't fry your camera. Because I would have to open mine up to look to know 100% how I did mine and I don't have the time to do that, now. Oh yea and mine has an extra step in it, blow switch to 2.5 RCA female. camera to digital plug to 2.5 RCA male. Sorta of a "pigtail" in other words. ( I use the remote shutter on tripod at times and need the digtal plug free to travel not hard wired to my helmet.)

Good luck, hope that helps you.

OK

I couldn't stand it and I had to go look, everything I said about wire colors was true, if your going to wire a Olympus n20e.:$:P

For digital rebel Xt and 10d, 20d's, I assume XTi too.
You should find a [RED] RED &White wire (and an outer strand of silver) red is hot and white I left out and the strand is to cold/ground. on my pigtail.

Look at yours to see how you have it wired and what colors you have.;) and see #5 above.:)

That's actually a really nice idea! :D

I guess I Should qualify my statment you are replying to.

NOW THAT I HAVE DIGITAL I take a picture of the ground. When I was on film I didnt waste any pictures on scenery. I got em all of the student.

I kinda figured you meant that the opening shock made the vidtographers bite the switch and take a picture of their feet. LOL
My photos

My Videos

For digital rebel Xt and 10d, 20d's, I assume XTi too. You should find a red & white wire (and an outer strand of silver) red is hot and white I left out and the strand is to cold/ground on my pigtail.

That is correct. If you bought a stereo connector and are terminating it yourself, "red" above refers to the inner contact (the tip), "white" above refers to the middle contact, and the ground braid connects to the base of the connector.

The white wire, which is safe to ignore here, performs the same action as holding the shutter half way down. The red wire is the same as pressing the shutter the entire way down.

If you use a mono connector and wire it up to your blow switch, it will still allow you to shoot stills, but the connector will bridge the middle contact and the base inside the camera, which will make your camera constantly auto-focus the entire time the thing is plugged in and the camera is on. This is probably not ideal, but other than the extra wear on the AF drive in the lens (negligible?) and a shortened battery life, this shouldn't have any ill effects on your camera.

/edited to add: the pinout I'm referring to is for the 2.5mm mini-plug style consumer canon cameras.