iambeav2

Cesna 182 Video

If I (or anyone else for that matter) were shooting Video out of a Cesna 182 jump plane, how would that go. Would the camera man follow the tandem or do a strut hang/bat hang? I'm in no way considering it right now (experience needed), but at my alt. dropzone we jump a 182 (aside from ride time, my favorite exit plane) and I was just wondering how you'd do video out of it for tandem and/or AFF. Thanks you guys in advance.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Both dropzones I jump at, which I think goes as a general statement for every cessna dropzone, the cameraman spots, climbs out, and hangs on the strut looking back towards the door to film the tandem from climb out on. Then, on the count from the TM, camera guy leaves just ahead to get the classic exit shot.

I can't think of a better method... it gets the most footage out of the jump, all of which is pretty personal to the student.

The only slight variation I have seen is basically the same thing, but on the exit the cameraman exits about the same time as the tandem and does a short head-down exit (into the relative wind-- bellies out at the bottom of the hill). I'm not sure on the technical aspects of this, but I would assume this would be coordinated with the TM for a slightly later drogue pull? to compensate for additional exit speed.

Not a tandem videographer yet. Everything I just told you could be a lie.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Yeah from the WHOPPING 3 videos i've found, I can't tell if the camera-man is completely hanging or has like a toe on the edge of the step. I saw the one (where the guy's 2 uppers are disconnected) where the TM/TS go directly out of the door as opposed to getting on the step. I just thought that the other one I saw gets a lot of the rears of the TM/TS and figured a quick diving exit following them out might get a good facial/frontal shot. I know video is all about the good shot (after safety), so I was just wondering on the shot vs. safety issues really.

What about the batman hang (is what I heard it called) where you hang by your feet on the strut and leave w/ the student.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I have a side mount video so I do an almost regular poised exit. I'm afraid if I hang my arm will block the camera. I go all the way out on the step with my right foot on and left foot trailing. This puts me more or less facing the tandem, at least close enough I can turn my head. Our tandem master insists on doing the stupid ass door dive exit like he was in a turbine, and he doesn't give a steady count. I watch his left shoulder while he's giving the count and leave when I see it come forward. This puts me leaving just a tad late to get the awesome exit picture but it's better than relying on his count and leaving way early. I really like the poised exit that Tod at Skydive Fort Wayne does since they are stable the entire time you can stay with them easy.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

The way i exit from a cessna is that the tandem instructor spots and then hollers cut. Then ill climb out and i hang under the strut with my back towards the prop looking back into the door.(i have sidemount vid. with top mount still) The tandem will climb out and do there count and then i drop off on my back and video them. I then either transfer to my belly or i stay on my back.

The other video guy climbs out and stands on the peg and does a normal poised exit and stay on his belly.

There were some parts there that were really scary like the linked up spin w/ the TI and coming up underneath him and the chest strap on that lady, but other than that, those were the best video's for shot wise and all that I've seen. I like that shot. Thanks for the input, and please take my comments/criticism on safety as just a 100 jump wonder looking, it was just my observations.

I have done a number of mock-tandems with jump buddies, just to ensure when I start filming them for $$, I get it right.

I wrap my right arm around the strut, and hang my body off and just dangle. I consider myself to be physically fit guy, and will admit after about 5 seconds, is gets pretty killer on the arm. But it gives about an extra foot or two distance between the subject and I which works out much better for stills. (Even with a pretty wide-angle lens, it makes what i consider to be a big difference)

As far as the bat-hang goes, I couldn't think of a more inefficient exit. First of all, I have never seen somebody successfully complete one. I know a few people who claim they have a method for doing it every time, but... haven't seen it. It is most definitely possible though. But after the exit, it seems (as I imagine doing it here in my desk chair) that it is a pretty big waste. The unique shot would be countered by the footage after that. It seems it would take a pretty intense neck-angle to slide down the hill on your back and not miss a shot. Or just give in to a quick back flip, also losing some footage.

I would love to hear of anybody doing this as a serious method... and would love to see the footage.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I keep a foot on the step and hang from the back of the door. I learned it from another video guy at our DZ. The first time I tried it I fell off the plane, haven't done so since. I haven't done it a lot though because we only jump a 182 in the winter.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Awesome input (not downing the rest of you) but thanks!! One quickie though. Do you wrap your arm over or reach up under and hold on?

And about the mock tandems, WHEN I start, which is a ways away, that's what I would like to do. Either that or shoot teams when they ask to get a good feel for flying around. But thanks a million, and when I pull off that bathang (no tandem though) I'll let you know!!!

When facing the door, I have my right arm wrapped around the strut.. underneath, like i am giving it a one-armed hug.

The 206 I jump, i can't hang on otherwise. I will usually supplement the hang a bit with my left arm, as it is pretty tough.

The 182 I jump has some great griptape on the strut, like that of a skateboard. I can actually support my entire body weight by hanging on with just my right hand, for a fairly long time. I prefer not to.

AS far as the bat hang... good luck! there is a method out there to do it right, but I haven't seen OR done it. Although I have filmed a buddy trying, and failing, a few times...

I think it would be exactly that. A buddy filming me while i try it, lol.

Don't know if this will help but I have over 1000 video jumps out of my 182. I used to climb out and hang with my right hand on the strut and my right foot on the peg in the center of the tire. I would trail my left foot and wait for the instructor to give me the ready, set, go. The instructor keying the exit is really important. Watch out for the instructor getting stuck in the door. Sometimes depending how the instructor exits the student may push up and pin the instructor in the door for a few seconds just when you think they are going.
I have a friend that used to do the bat hand. It is not that easy and takes a bit of time. Not to mention pilots don't usually like it. If you are shooting for hire... not an exit that I would suggest.
Good luck with video,.. never get above or below the tandem. I am sure that most any tandem master will advise you of that.
Blue Skies!
;)