bigdad510

Camera position at pull time

There's a post in the "General Skydiving" forum about tracking and stuff in a three way. There are some comments about everyone should track away in a three way to support maximum separation (if everyone tracks correctly).

One comment was no one should ever pull in place. I agree with that for the skydivers.

When shooting video for RW I usually pull in place as the vidiot. My questions are what do you all do and what do you think is best?

To cut down on scenarios, I'll create one.

You're shooting an 8-way all belly fliers. Break off is at 5k, everyone is pulling between 2.5-3.5.

Obviously with any skydive, there is a plan for the group and the videoman, I’m curious as to everyone’s plan and what they are comfortable with. With this scenario, i usually pull in place about 500ft-1k higher than planned RW pull altitude.
Brad

I normally pull in place at break off.

that gives vertical and horizonal separation.

Of, course that depends on who is next out the door.
usually if there is a big way its fine to pull high and in place due to :

if it an RW big way thed ff'ers are out next with instrucitons to give some extra separation.

if its a FF big way then the rw'ers left already and we've given plenty of separation.
My photos

My Videos

When filming RW (4 way and 8 way) i always pull in place as soon as the team turns to track. i have my dytter set 500 feet higher than their planned break off altitude so that i'm primed and ready for break off. As soon as i see the underside of their shoes, i go big and then deploy.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Pull in place at break off. You don't have to pull high either - if they have a high break off, just fall straight down the middle and pull at a reasonable altitude. Who ever you're filming should be long gone by then.

Action©Sports

it could be from long ago procedures... but i follow the ... "videoperson takes the center" approach to things....:|

As mentioned by peej, I also set my audible a bit high. I very seldom video RIGHT over the top,,,, except during 4 way or 8 way "working time" then I get offf to the side, as we get down to seperation altitude....

When the jumpers, turn and track,,, I press, Up and In, and slide to where the center of the dive just WAS.... No One can get over your back... If you stay ABOVE them.... and while looking down I can tell if there are any "quick draw artists" IN the dive who are gonna turn, NOT track, and would be likely to throw their P C at me...>:([:/]>:(
.... My move to the center is consistant with everyone else's departure from the center... once the area is clear, I deploy.:)For tandems, students, coach jumps etc.....
I view the deployment,, assure that the coaches or Instructors have left, and then pull,,, where i am, so that I am not directly beneath anyone who may malfunction, and would need that column to perform a cutaway...
That scenario might make for good video..... but someones shoes, legs, and body, coming though my canopy would ruin my day..

I'll stay alert to being sure that alllll mains are safely open,,, If not. I'll look to record any E P's.. from slightly to the side....:D:SB|;)

jmy

When filming from the top, pulling at break-off gives you probably the most separation from the group( horizontal AND vertical separation).Going to the middle and pull at normal altitude works if the people you film are good trackers and they know you´re there.
It´s also a good idea to have an audible alti set for the planned break-off altitude and just pull then. The trackings tend to be short if the break-off is for any reason lower than planned.
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

When shooting 4-way FS video, I deploy as soon as the first person turns to track. Break-off is usually in the 4K to 4.5K range, and my canopy doesn't open that quickly, so I generally don't make any special arrangements with the next group about exit separation time, if they leave enough time to not hit my team, they've left enough time to not hit me.

When shooting 4-way VRW, break-off is a little more complicated so we do it at 5K, but I still take the center. Being both underneath the team and on my head is not very conducive to dumping as soon as they turn to leave. :P Instead it goes a bit like this... They all turn (on their heads) and face away from the center and drive forward out of the "circle of death," meanwhile I transition to my back in a high-speed ball and move towards the center (so I can confirm all four people have left the center area,) once they are out of the center they transition to a back track and take off, and I flip over to my belly, slow down for a couple seconds, and deploy. I know my teammates, we all know the plan, and this works well for us.

When shooting video on freefly "fun jumps," I won't get off level to any significant degree with the rest of the group, so at break off I move out of the center, and then track away just like everyone else.

If the DZ has the exit seperation correct, it does not matter at what altitude the vidiot deploys. (edit: going low with the formation is shortening your chances though).
I prefer to deploy immediatly when the formation breaks off. If I have a good deployment if will save me from bad trackers. If I have a full speed malfunction, I have to hope the others have tracked well. Groups following are more of a problem for the people below me. They could be tracking up the jump run.
Exit separation is the key, not deployment altitude (apart from multiple aircraft DZ's).
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

I deploy when the team break off. I only delay if one of the team is right under me so I wait a beat. I do NOT smoke it down the tube - as I have said in this forum before I had a major collision with a 4 way jumper who had a curving track and off heading opening which put us head to head. He was on a high performance canopy and we hit very fast and VERY hard. IMO by planning to go down the hole you are cutting your safety margins - it is there in case I have a mal, thats all.

If I know the guys coming out of the plane behind me I dont bother telling them that I am dumping high - if I dont know them , especially if they look inexperienced, I have a word with them. Often the look in their eyes tells me they have not really thought about seperation or the upper winds so I just let 'em know I am pulling above 3K

Use your wings Johnny....

Jimmytavino has great advice. Read and remember it. The only things I would like to add are:
Dirt dive with the group, preferably in gear, so you know the jump and they know your colors and position throughout the exit and entire dive (you don’t want to be docked on by a swooper).
Talk about the breakoff altitude and where you will be at the time.
If they decide to go low for "one more point" their video is over! Stick to your planned deployment altitude.
Be prepared for premature deployments, rotten trackers, deployments below you, and stupid stuff.
Know when to say NO. Stay out of clouds, away from jumpers who may tend to be reckless, and be careful with groups who may be exceeding their capabilities.

Funny you mention being docked on. I was shooting an 8-way SCR attempt and found someone docking on me, had to point them in the right direction.

I also know what you mean if they “go for one more”. I got my butt in trouble form the DZO for staying with the formation and pulling low. “That” will never happen again.

Good advice from everyone. I appreciate it. Makes me feel better being a low number vidiot and knowing people with a lot more experience than me feel the same way. Thanks all, and keep’em coming.
Brad

Funny you mention being docked on.

I have video of a jumper trying to take a grip on me during line up for a CASA exit. :D:D complete with a "No, No, You're not taking a grip on me!!!"

I've been having problems lately with groups not breaking at the planned altitude and will be starting to pull at my planned deployment (which is the groups breakoff altitude)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...