Damion

PC 105 Problems

So I have a PC 105 that is giving me issues. The first is that I get bars across the screen when I record, yes I have cleaned the heads. The second is on play back it will all of a sudden just go to a blue screen. I am guessing that there is something wrong with the heads because once I clean them the play back works.

I have had to clean the heads when I get down from a jump for the last 5 jumps and sometimes multiple times in a single play back session. But do I really need to do this after every jump? I have a neoprene condom on the camera and I dont really think that there is any cracks that would allow excess dirt in.

I know people that dont use condoms and throw their helmet on the ground when they are down from a jump and throw it in the back of car when they leave. I take very good care of my equipment but I guess I have not been rough enough with it or something. Tough'n it up ya know... ;)

Any ideas or suggestions?

How old is the camera? (How many jumps on it?) Do you use a new tape when you fill one or have you been recording over the same tape repeatedly? If you do use a new tape, have you been using the same brand tape every time?

One camera is 3 years old (400 Jumps) and the other is probably the same age but I didnt start using it til January(40 jumps max). I always use a new tape, the most I record over is about 30 seconds if I forget to turn the camera off. Yeap, same brand, Sony Premium tapes. One time I used a off brand that someone gave me. Now the tapes I bought all at the same time.... 3 years ago. But the tapes have worked fine for other people so I am pretty sure the tapes arent the issue.

But the tapes have worked fine for other people so I am pretty sure the tapes arent the issue.

You're probably right, I was just attacking the usual suspects. Also, I've got two PC105s that are about 3 years old, each have at least 400 jumps on them, and I haven't encountered any problems as of yet.

Were either the tape(s) or the camera exposed to moisture on the ground or in the air recently?

Your drum motor is going to fail. I had the same problem. The fix is more expensive than getting a new camera.>:(

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Your drum motor is going to fail. I had the same problem. The fix is more expensive than getting a new camera.>:(

Don't give up just yet! I had this exact problem with my PC109 about 2 years ago. Lacking anyone to ask for advice and having just encountered some 'industrial haze' on an earlier load I reckoned on damp in the machine... and left it open to dry all day.

Next day, no problems. And one dive which seemed to have recorded with bars across it then showed clear (although another did not change).

I guess the question is whether this is an ongoing problem or a one off. For the record, the same camera is still going strong 2 years on...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.