mgoldade

What Camera to buy???

Ok, I am looking for my first video camera for skydiving. I am at a crossroads as I do not know what to get. I want to buy new. I have looked at the HC48 & HC96 from Sony. The main differences seem to be the lens (Vario-Tessar -vs- Vario-Sonnar® T), Imaging device (1/6" CCD Interlace Imager with 1152H -vs- 1/3" CCD Interlace Imager with 2144H), the video resolution (Gross 1070K -vs- Gross 3310K), onboard light, LANC Port, and Active Interface shoe. All this points in the favor of the 96. However, the 48 has a larger optical zoom, a smaller size, a better battery life, and is hundreds less! Help me make an informed decision. Do I really need to spend the extra cash? The comparison website is:
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/AttrCompareView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=32081

***Also, who makes a box to fit either of these?
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

I have no experiences with the mentoned camera's, but you probably do want lanc, wich you need for features like cameye etc.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I have the HC96 it has LANC on it, I don't think the 48 does. I have mine top mounted. If you want a box, Bonehead has a D-Box for it. Give them a call. I had te HC36 first, it's the same size, and I was the test dummy to see if one of their boxes fit the cam. It does, and you'll probably end up buying a little bit of extra foam to pad it more in the box. I think the box is about 180.00.

You'll probably want to go with a cam that has teh LANC. As far as zoom goes, for skydiving, you don't need it. I've never used it.
Brad