DSE

NAB?

Anyone from this community going to be attending the NAB conference? http://www.nab.org

If so, JC Colclasure is speaking at a Sony/AMD event. PM me and I can arrange for tix. He'll be showing what it is that makes him unique as a camera operator in various situations.
Otherwise, there are several new HD/HDV camcorders that should be ideal for skydiving being seen at the show.

Hi Douglas,

You seem to pretty close to the fire, as we say over here. Do you know of any sony plans to release a SDHC AVCHD recorder? Or any solid-state for that fact?
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I'd love to comment on what Sony may or may not be doing at the show, but NDA prevents me from saying more. Suffice it to say that I'm excited about what's coming, enough so that we invited JC Colclasure to speak at the release event.

Apple has a couple sweet new tools coming, so does Canopus and Adobe. Adobe's production bundle is taking a monstrous leap forward this time around.
AMD and Sony will have some nice software stuff happening, and on the higher end, Arri has some news, as does Anjenieux.
This is the first year of "all HD" at the show; most manufacturers have either already said no more SD support or will announce no further SD support; Grass Valley has to be a hold out because their new Infinity system isn't shipping yet, but expected to ship by this coming NAB. It's expected to be quite a big event this year, no doubt.
We'll be posting live interviews similar to what we did at PIA.

great, the pia interviews were a great way of getting informed... And this time people most likely know how to react to a camera... ;)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Otherwise, there are several new HD/HDV camcorders that should be ideal for skydiving being seen at the show.

Since you're over there, could you give some more info? The XDCAM XE is a beast, but not very suited for skydiving I think, considering it's price alone... ;)

Anyone from this community going to be attending the NAB conference? http://www.nab.org

If so, JC Colclasure is speaking at a Sony/AMD event. PM me and I can arrange for tix. He'll be showing what it is that makes him unique as a camera operator in various situations.

Damn did I miss this?
I live in vegas. How did I not see this[:/]
My photos

My Videos

The XDCAM XE is a beast

by the looks of it it's a Z1 stripped of the tape deck which is replaced by the SxS slot (and, apparently, more electronics to handle XDCAM)
I may suspect the imager is the same as Z1
no doubt flash media is a way to go, SxS sounds like a very good alternative to P2 with faster speeds etc., but why Sony puts so much faith in XDCam as a format is a mystery to me

Dunno, JT, but you missed a helluva night; we made the front page of the NAB Daily show newspaper and the closed NAB television news. It was huge.
FeFe, the XDCAM EX bears no relationship to the Z1 at all. Sensor isn't related at all. Pictures might be deceiving, however.
Sony also released a new shoulder-mount HDV cam, and made it very clear the A1 is still a very current model in their lineup. Sony Japan/International was knocked on their tails by the skydiving footage/canopy piloting footage from the Factory Team in the Grand Canyon.
Was nice to meet a couple fellow skydivers there, such as Brooke, Thad, and a few other guys. Wish we'd have had more time to chat.

Sony Japan/International was knocked on their tails by the skydiving footage/canopy piloting footage from the Factory Team in the Grand Canyon

Were you able to address some of the Skydiver friendly features that we all wish their cameras would incoorporate or bring back?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sony Japan/International was knocked on their tails by the skydiving footage/canopy piloting footage from the Factory Team in the Grand Canyon

Were you able to address some of the Skydiver friendly features that we all wish their cameras would incoorporate or bring back?

somewhat, but I already knew the answers.
A-Sony has never built a professional grade camcorder that is in the palm-type that skydivers prefer.

B-NAB is a professionals-only trade event, the Sony consumer division exhibited at CES, where I'd inquired about body changes, etc. Answer to that question comes down to the end-of-life of this style of camcorder. Tape-based camcorders are effectively dead in design, and Sony/Canon/JVC/Panasonic's consumer divisions are all but done manufacturing consumer-oriented camcorders. Due to this, several manufacturing facilities have been converted to HDD/DVD/Flash manufacturing and design. We'll likely never see a design in this format again, as the design most skydivers appreciate is based on a tape transport, which no longer exists.

C-SD is dead, dead, dead. No one is developing a non-HD camcorder and obviously won't return to that format. Not that it is relevant to the above commentary, other than to say that the life of SD is extremely short in the grand scheme of things, so either folks continue to use their PC-series for as long as they can, or figure out new helmet designs to accomodate the new camcorder designs, as eventually, aerial videographers are forced to move to HD/newer formats.

D-Skydiving represents less than .0001% of the worldwide purchasing that Canon/JVC/Sony/Panasonic enjoy, so we'll likely always be a last consideration. Canon's HV20 has the design, but this is due in great part to previous manufacturing facilities and a late design.

Flash/SD based camcorders are clearly where all this is going, AVCHD will be the format of choice if you're shooting for cheap cameras, small body, long battery life. Editing AVCHD is currently a bitch, but that'll change soon enough, even if the computer proc isn't ready to decode it in real-time.

Not the answers folks are hoping for, but there it is.

A-Sony has never built a professional grade camcorder that is in the palm-type that skydivers prefer.

but looks like it's on the RED's to-do list :P

Yes, I'm sure it is, somewhere down the line.:D

We made some difficult decisions at the show, and opted for the 2K workflow for now, using the SI camera and detachable head. 4K is nice, although there are few editing options available to date, but there will soon be. SI is jumpable for high-end projects right now, and the detachable head can be used as an exceptionally lightweight aerial camera right now, for a very reasonable cost of 25K for a fully fitted system.
Heck, if you don't mind cheezy quality that looks reasonable when downsampled to SD, the little Sanyo isn't bad at all.

So in laymans terms, what you are saying is that we (skydivers collectively) are screwed but we just aren't feeling it yet? From the sounds of it, even those of us already using HD cams will eventually have to upgrade to the newer strorage format at some point. Is that a correct assessment?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So in laymans terms, what you are saying is that we (skydivers collectively) are screwed but we just aren't feeling it yet? From the sounds of it, even those of us already using HD cams will eventually have to upgrade to the newer strorage format at some point. Is that a correct assessment?

you could look at it as being screwed, or look at it as the current and future camera designs aren't optimal for common skydiving practices:) but in a word..."screwed" probably sums it up best.

At some point, tape has to die. Sony and Canon are very much keeping HDV alive, while JVC has unofficially said they're done with small format, tape-based devices. So has Panasonic. Given that Sony, Canon, and TEAC have huge plants that manufacture tape drives/mechanisms, we'll see 2-3 more years at best in tape formatting. Then it's all SD, Flash, HDD, DVD for low-cost camera format storage, and likely in the AVCHD codec, or CineForm-type codec. Panasonic's new AVCI format might gain legs as well, but I'm skeptical. REDCode might grow legs at some future point as well, but when you burn it down to the ground, tape will die, and reasonably soon (2-3 years). All that will be left is some form of solid-state or DVD-based media storage. I'm not of the opinion that this is a bad thing, however.

but when you burn it down to the ground, tape will die, and reasonably soon (2-3 years). All that will be left is some form of solid-state or DVD-based media storage. I'm not of the opinion that this is a bad thing, however.

So this may still be down the road , although 2-3 years is not a long time in the grand scheme of things, how long do you think the mfgrs will continue to produce DV tapes for consumer use or do people need to start buying them up(funny how this almost sounds like a gun thrread)?

So you think solid state storage technology is to the point that it can store HD quality footage in a small enough form factor to use in skydiving?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I think solid state would be awesome, assuming all the size constraints (physical size and data capacity/rate) work out. I absolutely HATE firewiring tape footage.

After the last big wingsuit event we had at Zhills I spent HOURS firewiring other people's footage onto my tapes. Then when I got home I had to firewire all that footage to my PC. I've spent probably 15 hours doing this. It sucks that we have to capture at a 1:1 time frame (real video time to capture time). Once we've got digital (non-tape based) data we should be able to "trade" footage a lot faster.

Even though we as skydivers represent a small portion of the market, I'd think there are other sports applications where HDD cameras would not be a good thing, so that market should drive the development of these solid state devices... right?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So you think solid state storage technology is to the point that it can store HD quality footage in a small enough form factor to use in skydiving?

Look at the size of some of the smaller capacity, solid state iPods. I think we're pretty close.

They also make 8GB CF cards right now, for a somewhat reasonable price. That's got to be what... 30 minutes of HD footage maybe? It would be nice to never have to buy blank tapes again, and already have your footage in a format you could edit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

They also make 8GB CF cards right now, for a somewhat reasonable price. That's got to be what... 30 minutes of HD footage maybe? It would be nice to never have to buy blank tapes again, and already have your footage in a format you could edit.

I agree that workflow-wise, it is would be nice to have solid state, or even hard-drive based files. But archivally (is that a word?) I still want a format that is as cheap and robust as tape. I have pretty much kept everything I have ever shot; skydiving or not. And tape is (so far) the cheapest bit-for-bit storage medium. Don't get me wrong, I would love to lose the tape drive and necessary power requirements from my head, and I'd love to dump footage to my NLE faster than 1:1. But I still will need something to download all that footage down to when I'm done (other than my local hard drives).

My too sense.

But I still will need something to download all that footage down to when I'm done (other than my local hard drives).

Exactly what I was pondering.

Student: "Hey cameraflyer! I messed up my DVD you gave me of my first skydive 2 months ago. Can you burn me a new one?"

Cameraflyer: "Uh, sorry, no. I copied (several) new skydives over that card last month". :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

But archivally (is that a word?) I still want a format that is as cheap and robust as tape. I have pretty much kept everything I have ever shot; skydiving or not. And tape is (so far) the cheapest bit-for-bit storage medium.

Actually, it takes 3 DVD-R's to store 1 hour of raw video. And the cost of 3 DVD-R's is cheaper than 1 DV tape.

Con: you now have to add in the time to burn your archive discs (although you're saving time in the capture process).

Pro: you don't have to archive everything... you can cut out boring canopy rides and stuff like that.

Con: optical media is prone to failure.

I back up things that are REALLY important to me twice, on two sets of DVD-R's.

Normal stuff, I have all my original tapes for, but I also have it on DVD-R's for faster access.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com