SkydiveMonkey

Main canopy inspection

hehe, i did it on thursday night.... i try to do it every 6 months, but it depends on the number of jumps i make: if i jump more i don't check it, if i jump less i check it

it was real fun having my head in the cells :D

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Perhaps one day, the enlightenment of consistency might pose the following questions:

Why don't I treat my reserve like my main?

Why then shouldn't I treat my main like my reserve?

Accidents are nothing more than a chain of events built on complacency and allowed to continue to an end result.

Perhaps you might become a mentor to others that follow you and interrupt the chain......!

CRWBUDDHA

if a customer brings me their main with their rig for it's inspection, when I hook it back up, I always lay it out, give it a quick inspection (I don't hang it, but I check the lines and the risers etc) and repack it. I then tell them that I packed the main and that my feelings won't get hurt if they prefer to re-pack it themselves.

I know most people never inspect them beyond looking up after deployment;) - I also offer a thorough inspection and repack if they want it.

www.sidsrigging.com

Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

twice a year (that is every 150-200 jumps) I check the line set state and specs ('got the specs from the manufacturer), and I fully inspect every panel of the canopy: looking for eventual burns, needeling weakness, material wearing out, etc...
If I find something wierd, I bring it up to a rigger.
Last time I found a little part of needle work starting to crap out: brought it to a rigger how fixed it.
You will always find a crappy day to spend a couple of hours at that ;), and besides if you don't feel concerned with your gear status, who will ?
alain

I didn't give it much thought until few jumps after one particularly nasty wrap. As I was taking off my rig, I glanced at the left riser and noticed the closing loop had been burnt about half way though. Ever since then I've made a practice of doing a thorough main check a couple times a year and every time I'm in a wrap, entanglement, or cutaway.

Bob

I allways try to look when packing, but that really isn't good enough.

Today Scott Miller (from PD) held a packing and canopy inspection lecture at our DZ (Østre Æra).
That guy really knows his stuff. :)I also learned howto check my main without hanging it up.:)
Now I can even check it at home, and I'm going to check it more often from now on
:)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.