efs4ever

Software for archiving browsing and editing still photos

I've been using ACDsee for years. Lately, however, ACDSEE "PRO" has been crashing and freezing up. The tech support people say my database is probably corrupt, and I need to DELETE it. That means the data I spent HOURS on cataloging and classifying photos is GONE.

Anyone else want to recomment a digital photo management program that's RELIABLE??? One that can handle gobs of data. One that's BETTER than ACDsee!!
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I am not sure what kind of complexity you need, but I manage about 30GB of photos using PICASA from Google. I like it alot.

I have about .5 terra worth of stuff. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Sony Media Software has a new tool that I've been using on the video side for about 5 years, cataloging several TBs over a SAN. Works great. The new software is based on the same engine, and very ACDsee-like. My ACDsee is still working great, but I've been told to back up my database for it often, given that I've also got about half a TB, so your experience confirms what I'm seeing posted on several webforums.

Sony Picture Go

I use Picasa too.... It's great and at the same time it can absolutely drive me insane. When it feels like working, I love it. But for example sometimes it just decides not to add new pictures. You can't "force" it to. You can try, but sometimes it just ignores ya. But once the pictures are in it, it's fast and easy.

Picasa can also open RAW files (but can't edit them any different from a jpeg, as far as I know). It can save keywords, captions, and other info into the jpeg exif metadata, so you don't really risk losing data if the software ever dies. I choose the pictures I want to share online, add captions in picasa, crop, correct brightness/etc, then upload to smugmug, where the captions are automatically retained by reading the exif data.

Do you store your pictures in one huge folder, or are they spread out among many? Picasa stores temporary data in a file in each folder... I'm guessing it wouldn't like one huge folder with that many pictures, but I dunno.

Dave

I've been using ACDsee for years. Lately, however, ACDSEE "PRO" has been crashing and freezing up. The tech support people say my database is probably corrupt, and I need to DELETE it. That means the data I spent HOURS on cataloging and classifying photos is GONE.

Anyone else want to recomment a digital photo management program that's RELIABLE??? One that can handle gobs of data. One that's BETTER than ACDsee!!

On Mac, iPhoto is pretty good. But with half a terabyte worth it sounds like you might be better off with pro apps like Apple's Aperture or Adobe Lightroom.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

On Mac, iPhoto is pretty good. But with half a terabyte worth it sounds like you might be better off with pro apps like Apple's Aperture or Adobe Lightroom.

Have you played with the new Lightroom yet?

Have you played with the new Lightroom yet?

Only with the beta, but I couldn't really find my way around.

I'm an iPhoto fan. I'm still evaluating Aperture. I like a lot of the features in it, but other things (like thumbnail overview), I prefer using iPhoto for. The nice thing is that import from iPhoto to Aperture, especially all the metadata (ratings, albums, keywords), is seamless.

How about yourself? What do you use?
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I've been using ACDsee, like the OP. However, I too, have a massive database. I imported my ACDsee into Sony PictureGo, and although it's cheap, it is powerful. But, while it displays RAW, it doesn't show the metadata, although the metadata is still there.
I have been considering Aperture as I'm both Mac/PC, but really prefer my PC for Pshop work. So also looking for some answers. iPhoto is great, I've watched a great demo of Aperture. Justin Carmody from the PD factory shoots thousands of pix a week, and uses Aperture, and that practically sold me, watching him work, catalog, sort, zoom, display, correct, etc. I just don't like the idea of using my MacBook for photos.

Ars Technica recently did a review of Lightroom and the final chapter is a comparison with Aperture. You can read it here.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey