damonsteele

Flash Mounting

It would seem that in this day and age, of all the manufacturers out there (BoneHead Composites, Cookie Composites, etc...)(And yes, this is directed at THEM), that at least one of them would come up with a flash "box" or bracket. They each have a box for every video camera known to man (at least for Sony), but nothing for something as simple as a flash.
We have been left to our own devices to try and create some sort of mount or cradle. Some that I've seen have been pretty good (vdschoor), and some look like it will end up in an incident report!
Hopefully, one of these two FINE MANUFACTURERS will step up and keep us safe (at least those of us who want to use a flash).
HINT HINT!B|

I have 1 made of aluminum if your interested see my items for sale on here. It is for vertical flash ,pretty simple .
works real nice on my 550 speed light.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I dunno. Personally, I think most boxes from whatever manufacterer are over-rated and a waste of time (and money and space). With the exception of side-mount cameras (I haven't seen a side-mount flash mount yet, but I do use a bonehead box for my old PC-1 on my NvertigoX), I think you are just better off mounting top-mount stuff without boxes. I've never had any damage to a properly mounted top-mount camera from riser slap or whatever. And personally, I prefer to be able to have full access to all the controls on my camera stuff (Settings, LCD, auto/manual focus, etc.).

I also can't imagine jumping camera without being your own one-man machine shop. Even if you get custom boxes, you still have to mount them to your helmet, so when I mount anything new, I always end up making something custom. With my flat-top style helmet (prototype Vapor), there is plenty of space. I made an aluminum L-bracket for my flash next to my video camera that attaches using a standard 1/4-20 screw. I'll try to post photos some day, but it is really pretty simple.