LouDiamond

Really Right Stuff

Well I went ahead an bought the L bracket from Really Right Stuff. Like I mentioned in the original post, the craftsmanship is superb and the overall weight is very light. The only thing I had to change in my current setup is to remove the camera armor I had on the camera with the standard mount. I could cut/trim the camera armor on one side to allow for the mount to fit properly but I found it easier to just remove it at this point. Swapping out the cameras orientation is extremly fast and easy to do. The vertical position does require that your bite switch cord move a small amount to accomodate its position. I usually gaffer mine down but I left it exposed in the pictures so you can see the cable routing.

I also purchased the smaller B2 LRII clamp so that I could mount my video camera along side of the camera when vertical. I am awaiting the helmet that set up will be mounted on to arrive as it has more space to accomodate the clamp you see in these pictures and the smaller B2 LR II clamp along side one another.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

One other thing I have done is to switch the clamp handles orientation. As they come from the factory, in the closed position the handle wraps/curves around the right side of the clamp. This makes it impossible to butt 2 plates up against one another.

Luckily, the handle is held in place with a pin that can be tapped out. I flipped the handle over so it wraps around the left side of one of the clamps, so now I can butt both plates up against one another. This gives me 5 1/2" of usable clamp space for cameras and I can still open/close them. If I only need to remove 1 camera, I can open the clamp 1/2 way and slide that camera off without moving the 2nd camera.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I wanted a system I could use to easily switch the orientation of my XTI on top of my BatRak. There is quite a bit of realeastate on top of my BatRak so this is perfect. I can have my D-Box mounted to one side and my XTI set up next to it for either horizontal or vertical mounting. Thanks for the heads up on this company.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

The new helmet arrived today so I went ahead and mounted everything up. Here are several shots of it in different combinations/orientations.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Looks great!!! Which helmet is that??

Also, I think if the opening levers were to the inside it may be a little cleaner, so as to avoid any line or riser that may slide by the sides of the helmet.

Looks very well done, I love all the options, now for the flash :P

Stay Safe,

Arvel

BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Looks great!!! Which helmet is that??

Thanks, it was a quick assembly once I went to Lowe's and bought the needed screws. The helmet is a proto Chris from BH and I have been talking about since PIA. He had something similar at PIA but not quite, but when I saw it I knew with a few tweaks it would be what I was looking for. I jokingly call it the CAM(pos) Rack but I don't think it has an official name yet.

I think if the opening levers were to the inside it may be a little cleaner, so as to avoid any line or riser that may slide by the sides of the helmet.

I looked at doing that but was concerned with the lever clearance between the clamps. It does appear however that spaced the way they are I could do it, but it might make closing the lever(s) difficult in some configurations. As it is, when the cameras are mounted on it, the camera bodys cover the levers entirely.

now for the flash

I don't see that in my future:P.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The helmet is a proto Chris from BH and I have been talking about since PIA. He had something similar at PIA but not quite, but when I saw it I knew with a few tweaks it would be what I was looking for. I jokingly call it the CAM(pos) Rack but I don't think it has an official name yet.

Thought it looked like a 'filled-in BatRak'! :)
I, too, have been asking Chris if he'd make another full face with real estate up top like the BatRak has. For side-by-side camera configurations. Is this one a full-face? Pretty Please? :$

I love the FTP but have an XS size need for my noggin. There would be SO much foam in a FTP to make it even plausible in fitting my head. So, one day I broached the subject of a full face helmet with a BatRak-type top to Chris. My BatRak fits my head just fine. :)
Can this possibly be it?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It kind of does have a batrak look to it especially around the platform.However, it is based off of the Optik illusion design, so it isn't a full face. There are some changes to the buckle system and to the interior of the helmet that are not apparent until you pull the foam out. But for the most part it remains along the lines of the Optik Illusion.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks Scott for sharing, do you know if the helmet will be on the market anytime soon?

That I do not know. I am sure it will go through a few more tweaks before it is done. I am pretty stoked about it as I see it as the happy medium between a FF helmet with camera mounts on it and a FTP.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, the helmet is in the NEW Para-Gear catalog!!! On page 117, it is the "Mantle". Talked to Linda at BH, she said it should be out in the "Fall" (get it)

Looks rather interesting :S

Can't wait to see yours Scott!!!

Well, the helmet is in the NEW Para-Gear catalog!!! On page 117, it is the "Mantle".

Looks rather interesting :S

Can't wait to see your Scott!!!

Haven't gotten the new Para-gear catalog yet but I'll take your word for it;) I am jumping every day for the next 2 weeks at work out in Laurinburg but I plan on stopping by the DZ this weekend so I will bring it with me.You going to be around?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yep, house is packed up, they put it on the truck tomorrow, then I do painting and yard work until the 14th, then up to MD for me. I will be at the DZ all weekend.

Any chance an old Army guy could jump at Laurinburg with you American Hero's?

Stay Safe,

Arvel

Any chance an old Army guy could jump at Laurinburg with you American Hero's?

Not sure you want to jump with us, we are testing a new O2 mask and other new equipment out. We might need another cameraman but I am only holding the tail so let me ask and I'll get back to you.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Had the straboframe thing for a while and it was perfect for swapping 2 different cameras out. But I'm liking this MUCH better. I mounted my flash on a quick release so I could attach it to my L bracket. Pretty top heavy though. Shooting either vert or horiz is a breeze! Wish I had this setup a long time ago.
my pics & stuff!

Have you tried/considered mounting the RRS clamp on to the upside down L bracket you have on the side of the helmet? If you mount the RRS clamp long ways(front to rear) on the L bracket, you could lay the flash down on top of the L bracket and make it a bit more manageable and allow you to shoot horizontal without the big overhanging flash. Just make sure the screw knob is facing the helmet and not outboard.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

like this pic?

Yes, that looks like a healthier and safer way to mount it. Using the RRS clamp will speed mounting/dismounting up significantly. Honestly, IMO you simply need more helmet real estate to make using the flash safer overall.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING