BigM

iPod - Anyone use their's for...???

I am putting together a personal use mixing station to dub my own DVDs for tandems and AFF customers' videos. I will be using a WJ-MX10 (with a Titlemaker 2000). The question is: Can / Does anyone use their iPod for their music input while dubbing videos?

Many thanks in advance guys (and girls)!
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Yes...I quit using cds a while back. Plus I have my computer handy so if someone really wants a specific song on their video I'll download it from itunes then transfer it to the ipod so they can have it. It's pretty rare that happens and I don't mind a buck here or there for a random song...
Miami

Problem with ipods it that it's hard to search fast enough, esp if you want to use 2 to fade the songs together. Also, 2 ipods, pretty expensive [:/]

You could use just the one but then you have to fade-in fade-out with the original audio, personally I try not to, i hate the freefall/door noise "spike".

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm still old school, using CDs with my playlists burned to them for most vids. But a guy I work with uses his iPod and swear by it. I don't have an iPod, but I do have my Powerbook hooked up to my system so I can access to my whole iTunes library when I need to.

Plus, if a customer brings their own CD and really wants to use it a song on their video, I rip it to my PB first so I can mix it with other songs on my system without having to do a CD swap.

Search before hand and make an "on the go" playlist, which takes no time at all. The way I shoot/edit I switch songs during interviews so I have no need to overlap two songs. Certainly some situations it wouldn't work, but that really applies to everything, doesn't it?;)
Miami

I am just glad that is is electronically possible for the iPod to interface with the mixer. My plan is to make up several "2-song play-lists", each with an appropriate tempo "interview" song and a faster "freefall" song. I can have a ton of these playlists (for girly-girl, hard edge stuff, swing music, etc) and add, subtract or update them as necessary. These would eliminate the need for speed searching as well as the electronic noise involved with doing so.

Thoughts?

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Do you know how to make a playlist on the go?

I think you find the song and then hit "On-The-Go" from the main menu, correct? But if I do that, I would have to go in and edit them out later from i-Tunes wouldn't I? And every song I add ends up in the same play-lists doesn't it?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Nope, just scroll to the song you want to add, hold the center button till the song flashes (a second or two) and it's added. After you've added all the songs you want go to your playlists and select the on-the-go list and all the songs you added are there, in the order you added them. After you're done with them just select "clear playlist" in the playlist menu and they are gone.
Miami

I started using 2-iPod Nano's last year, same music list on both and mix between the 2 of them on my MX-12, it works great, I also keep a single disc CD player and just swap the plug from one of the iPod's to the CD player if I need a CD for some reason. I'll never go back to CD's for our stock music library.

Pat

Problem with ipods it that it's hard to search fast enough, esp if you want to use 2 to fade the songs together. Also, 2 ipods, pretty expensive [:/]

You could use just the one but then you have to fade-in fade-out with the original audio, personally I try not to, i hate the freefall/door noise "spike".

NAh. the cure is:

one I typed up a list of skydiving songs and I have a skydiving playlist.

once they pick the songs. ( i only offer like 40 songs. more than that and they can get way too choosy) I add it to the on-the-go playlist.

then the only thin you are doing is searching thru the selected songs. (in my case, I edit with 3 songs)

once you are done you just remove the songs from the on the go playlist and start over. IMO, I think its easier than searching thru CD's
My photos

My Videos

I had to change the "script" of my videos to be able to switch between songs without and obvious quiet patch.

What to you mean by changing the script?
Thanks-
Jeff

I'm assuming s/he means that they had to change the way the shoot the tandem video. Nothing to do with computers.

the "script" I.E. the way the movie is laid out.

I always start with a fade in on the the logo then go to the clock, than fade to interview etc....

changing the scirpt would mean I started with the logo and went to the interview and removed the clock . or something along those lines
My photos

My Videos