chris666

New Compilation Vid : Gravity Rules but People Can Fly !

and for the music, it's the same..

Yes, that was my point. I have not seen anyone complain here about reusing music, so why complain when someone reuses video content?

Sure, I'd rather see a movie with new content, but I wouldn't complain about someone reusing music or video content, it's after all what digital media leads to.

Yes, that was my point. I have not seen anyone complain here about reusing music, so why complain when someone reuses video content?

Then you haven't looked hard enough. There have been *many* discussions of copyright, illegal use, and value of skydiving photos and copyrighted music being used in skydiving videos.

you might not complain, but in re-using the works of other people, it devalues that work for the person that owns the content.
Although I'm opposed to people using copyrighted music in tandem videos, the impact on the owner of the music is generally negligable, as it's a one-off DVD, and it's a broadly distributed product.
Skydiving and BASE vid isn't so widely distributed, and therefore the value of that footage is rather high in some/many cases. Using this footage without the owners permission is no different than walking into a DZ, putting 100 jumps on someone's rig, but not telling them you've jumped their rig.

Placing "credits" at the end of the reel isn't anything more than thanking the person from whom you stole, for shooting footage sweet enough that you wanted to use it, yet not at least ask your skydiving brothers and sisters if that would be cool.

I'll admit on a few very rare occasions I've used copyrighed music to illustrate a point on a one-off, non-distributed nor replicated video. On most of those occasions, I've used music from an artist that is published by the same publishing group I'm part of, such as using Nickelback on a presentation piece.
In my case, not illegal, but certainly not necessarily ethical, as I didn't ask the band nor their representation for specific permission.

Digital or analog copies....doesn't matter. Theft is theft. For some reason, it seems more eggregious to steal from another skydiver as opposed to stealing from Tom Petty or Van Halen.

There are three issues at play here, IMO.
1- The content's value has been diminished as a by-product of re-use.
2- The original work's intentions have been modified, as the artistic expression by the director and editor of the original content has been altered. This includes sync license, mechanicals, master, and way down the scale...branding.
3- It's theft from one of our own by another skydiver who could have easily asked (and perhaps received) permission.

It's a small community. I'd be pissed if someone used my footage or music in a skydiving video without my permission. That's why most professionals watermark online images, to protect the value and protect their investment in the work.

Even if the video isn't for sale, it's a violation of copyright, and more to the important point; it damages the value the original owner of the footage owned.

Is it not a bit cheeky to rip off and re edit other people's footage?

You mean, like rip off and re edit other people's music? :P

I'm not sure about what reccord companies have similar agreements but it is 100% legal to use Warner music for youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/blog?entry=3xDEdJmPDI0

but it is 100% legal to use Warner music for youtube videos

According to YouTube, it's not yet "100% legal" as they still haven't hammered out the content identification system, although they're working towards that end, and prosecution for unauthorized use is extremely unlikely if the music came from the WMC.
It's a landmark deal if they can complete it; it's been nearly 2 years since they announced it.
Bigger news this week, IMO, is that the 1st District Court struck down Yoko Ono's plea for a copyright claim against "Expelled."