FFlyer

Sport or Beach&Ski ?

Hey all,

Ive just got a 0.3 diamond wide angle lens. I use to have a 0.45 and always use to set my camera on manual and then go to infinite (mountain showing).

With this lens I have to apparently autofocus then set it to manual, but dont go to infinite or it blurs. Thats fine, but then what setting is best regarding which program to use (ie: Auto, Spot light, Portrait, sports, beach&ski, sunset&moon or landscape). Ive been told by most to either use Beach&Ski or Sport.

Which do you use and why? Ive got a Sony HC42 btw.

Thanks, cheers

Hey all,

Ive just got a 0.3 diamond wide angle lens. I use to have a 0.45 and always use to set my camera on manual and then go to infinite (mountain showing).

With this lens I have to apparently autofocus then set it to manual, but dont go to infinite or it blurs. Thats fine, but then what setting is best regarding which program to use (ie: Auto, Spot light, Portrait, sports, beach&ski, sunset&moon or landscape). Ive been told by most to either use Beach&Ski or Sport.

Which do you use and why? Ive got a Sony HC42 btw.

Thanks, cheers

If I remember correct sport program causes vertical smear at least on my PC-120. So I never use it anymore..

What I have used lately is beach&ski...

I have a PC1000, but I always use Auto. The programed exposure modes tend to make things look less natural to me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Video cameras are like any other camera--there is no catch all setting. RTFM and figure out for each jump which setting will fit that particular jump the best, with your SLR as well as your camcorder. That's the difference between being a photographer/videographer and a person with a bunch of photographic equipment strapped to their head, IMHO.

pope

If I remember correct sport program causes vertical smear at least on my PC-120. So I never use it anymore..

Right on...I was using "sports" for a while on my PC-9. I was getting vertical smear on every sunset jump (see pic).

I´m on "beach&sky" now and it´s fine...

Cheers,

Alvaro

Hey...ho...let's go!

Right on...I was using "sports" for a while on my PC-9. I was getting vertical smear on every sunset jump (see pic).

I´m on "beach&sky" now and it´s fine...

Cheers,

Alvaro

yeah.. but thats not even bad...

On another thread boyfalldown posted an example of a nice vertical smear you get with the sports mode. ENJOY!! ;)

It did ruin one of my tandem videos also... After that I have never used it...

FWIW, you'll always get at least a minimal amount of vertical smear on a CCD-based camcorder, you'll just see more or less smear depending on the shutter speed and aperture combination.
CMOS is smearless.
In other words, what works to reduce/mostly avoid smear on a CCD sensor-based cam won't be the same formula as a CMOS cam.
Wide angle lens choices will enhance or diminish some of the effects of smear as well.
We're just wrapping up a wide angle lens review for a sports photography mag, perhaps Sangiro will publish it here. It comments on which lenses do and don't contribute more or less to CCD smear.