bigway

ulead dvd disk recorder

Just trying to find out what sort of disks i need to buy. (not for skydiving) It says insert dvd-rw
Would i be able to use dvd-r??
Does anyone have any experience with this programme? just dont want to buy the wrong disks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I use ULEAD's DVD Workshop-2. Yes it supports both -/+ formats wheter they are R or RW.
Now the only question is what format your actual DVD burner suppors.
This is from the actual DVD Workshop help:
DVD book version Select the type of media to use for DVD mastering. Read-only disc or DVD-ROM is the default setting. Select Rewritable disc to record on DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM. Select Recordable disc to record on DVD-R and DVD+R.
To make DVD not as simple as to make VHS... So before you start make your home work about data rate and compression (DVD uses MPEG-2 video), video TS, disk image, and etc. Also read the soft ware's help.
Good luck!
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

Burn MPEG 2 vid/AC3 audio
Bitrate greater than 7.5Mbps, lesser than 9Mbps
Use the media recommended by your BURNER manufacturer, not Ulead. Ulead only makes the authoring software.
If you wan an ISO, DVD workshop will usually work with it, but since DVD workshop isn't DVDINdustry compliant, some set tops may struggle with discs burned by DVD Workshop.
If you'll pay the postage, I'll happily send you a book on DVD Workshop that we wrote a couple years ago.
Ulead has been purchased by Intervideo, and intervideo has discontinued the DVD Workshop product.>:( It was a good one while it lasted.

Thanks for all the info.

My comp will burn to dvd-r

My problem now is when i put a 700mb avi file in my project it says that project is 7GB! Of course this does not fit on my dvd's that are 4.7gb

Can anyone tells me why it does this or even how i can make the avi files fit.

Thanks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

There is a difference between burning a dvd as data and burning a dvd as video.

Data: of course a 700mb avi fits on a DVD. But it will still be an avi file so usually only your pc can play it.

Video: you can fit 1hr of normal quality video on a dvd. So if the avi is longer than that, you need to lower the quality (compression).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I really can not understand this. I have tried everything i can think off.
The guy has a normal dvd player. I have an avi file that needs to fit on a dvd 4.7gb so he can play it on his standard dvd player.

Is there anyone that could please tell me how i do this.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Bigway,
Several DVD authoring tools miscalculate the final file sizes when prepping to burn to DVD; DVD StudioPro did this in the early days, DVD Workshop still does, Sony DVD Architect 3 did it as well. I've been given a few explanations, none seem to make sense.
Bear in mind that the good compression/encoding tools are not "cheap" but there are several freebies out there. If your video seriously matters, use a good encoder such as the Sorenson or MainConcept. They come free with various NLE purchases. Really good encoders cost serious $$ such as the CinemaCraft, which is the standard of the authoring industry. Sells for 1999.00 for the cheap version.
As mentioned, for DVD playback on a set top player, the files must be MPEG 2, in the bitrates I mentioned above. Slower bitrates and you risk stalls on some players. Higher bitrate, and you risk the decoder not being able to keep up so you'll see blocky playback.
HTH