The111

Make your own Conceptus-style tongue switch?

Hey, I bought one of those last season and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

That conepisus one is in the spare parts bag now. The best way I can explain the Pro Switch (other than no adapter needed for my 20D) is that it works and feels like one of those old tin clackers you had as a kid. Firm but when you push it with your tongue, you most definatiely hear and feel the click. That conepisus one you never really know.

The other bonus is that the Pro Switch has your camera focusing 100% of the time. That is equal to having the button pushed down 1/2 way. The down side of course is battery life but I turn it on at jump run and turn it off once I have my toggles stowed after landing.

It makes taking that shot lightning fast because your camera is already focused. I love it mainly because of the feel when your push the switch with your tongue.

Wow, that's actually really compelling. You're right in that the one thing I actually dislike about the Conceptus switch is the action is sometimes hard to feel. The continuous focus sounds interesting too. Maybe I will have to try it out.

Thanks for sharing, you promoted the product better than the guy selling it did. :D;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

On the Conceptus switches if you have a stereo mini plug you can use a stereo to mono adapter and get continuous focusing on the XT's.

Or try this. Make an intermediate cable that has a stereo female at one end and mono plug at the other, connecting the two wires together at the camera end. I have this intermediate cable installed through my helmet in such a way that it's a cinch to swap out a broken tongue switch even in the airplane. I always keep a spare in my jumpsuit pocket!

Wow, that's actually really compelling. You're right in that the one thing I actually dislike about the Conceptus switch is the action is sometimes hard to feel. The continuous focus sounds interesting too. Maybe I will have to try it out.

Thanks for sharing, you promoted the product better than the guy selling it did. :D;)

Continous focusing does sound interesting on the surface. What it does at least on some of the Digital Rebels, is prevent the camera from dumping out the buffer. One of the video guys at my DZ experienced this problem. It isn't a bad thing persay, but if you take a bunch of pictures at the top of a jump and then want a bunch really fast at the bottom sometimes you might run into trouble. I haven't presonally reproduced these claims, because I only have the conceptus bite switch with stereo plug, but it is worth looking in to.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Matt, all the needed parts can be found at most good electronic stores or a well stocked radio shack. It's not rocket science but it is time consuming and if you've never had to solder small components, it can be frustrating. I am guessing your looking for the plastic housing portion/tubing and the heat shrink tubing to cover the junctions?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've never been able to find a proper bite/tounge switch (the actual switch) at Radioshack. I made a lot of research online to find a good switch. And of course all the conpanies are naming sometimes the exact same product differently. So makes it harder the search. And then you got some result....but no picture or tech. specs. of the product. And it's same with the heat shrink and every other part of the "remote". I guess it's lot easier for those who actually work for some kind of electronic business.
The only things I could get from Radishack were 2.5mm streo plugs and sodering stuff.
-Laszlo-

With Radio shack you sometimes have to go to their catalog to find what you need. Ideally you will want to go to a real electronics store if one is available as they are actually familiar with their product and usually have stuff in stock. Once you find a switch that works for you, the hardest part of building one for some is soldering the small and close connections. If you're comfortable soldering and familiar with electronics, its probably a 5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. Of course you have to commit your time and energy to finding the parts and then assembling it which is why I think most people opt to just buy a pre-made bite switch.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It's really not hard at all.

the only thing I couldn't find were rubber/heat shrinkable end caps. ( i found them but they were like $9 each)

I jsut used to pieces of metal about the length of the bite area soldered a wire to each put a dab of RTV at each end and heat shrinked them together.

I made th 90* bend with the heat shrink but I solder the wire at a slight angle to help keep the shape.

the plug end should be self explainable.

I used spare parts and wires. the only thing I need to buy was the plug
My photos

My Videos

i'm pretty sure i posted about this before. but if you find the micro switch you want to use... that's half the battle.
i had one that cost about $0.49 and soldered it to a cell phone headset (minus the headset) that a friend gave to me. they use the same 90 degree stereo plug that is found on the XT.

that's it. almost free, and about 3mins of work.

if you can't find shrink wrap, use electrical tape or a can of plasti-dip.

For those who want to try their hand at building their own bite switch google "leaf switch" or ask for one at your electronics store.They come in many different configurations/sizes so surf around until you find one that suits your need. Micro switches can be used but they tend to be bulky,even the smaller ones.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Replying to one of my own old posts. I'm almost finished figuring out how to make my own custom switches. To answer some old questions:

The type of microswitch needed is a "tactile switch"... if you search on a site like digi-key for these you'll get lots of options.

Regarding the use of a mono cable for "continuous focus"... after some testing this makes no sense to me. There are 3 conductors on the stereo plug for the XT - ground, focus, and shutter. The mouth switches I've bought in the past short the focus and shutter together, so that when the switch is closed they are both connected to ground. This has the same effect as leaving the focus wire unused, and just using ground + shutter to take a shot. HOWEVER, using a mono plug would actually short focus and ground together, which in my testing does not create "always focusing". What it does create is a situation where once something is focused in on, the focus will no longer change anymore, though it will take shots when you close the switch. There would be no advantage to this condition in the air... 99% of your shots would be out of focus.

I also bought one of the "pro mouth switches" that were discussed earlier and it does not have any so-called "always focusing features" as it has a regular stereo plug (thank god). I haven't destroyed this one to see how the wiring is done, but I know that neither focus or shutter is shorted to ground, so the only option is 3 separate wires going to the SPST switch which connects them all when closed, or shutter + focus being shorted which will yield exactly the same results.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i dont know why you would want to spend the time making you own, i have had great service with conceptus, when ever one of my switches break i e-mail them, explain the problem, and they replace it for free....as long as i return the old one.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I am making a custom helmet (Wes Rich CCM style) and it will have an RF disconnect (MCX) in the switch circuit, at the front of the shell, so I can remove the switch on video only jumps. I figure if I'm going to spend $50 on a pre-made switch only to cut it apart and splice a new component in, I might as well just make the whole thing myself. Btw, the total parts cost is less than $5, now that I've got it figured out.

Although I will admit that what you described is good customer service. I didn't know that they had that policy though and I've bought multiple switches in the past because of my ignorance. An interesting thing to note is that usually when a switch fails it is the 90 degree stereo connector (not the switch itself). How many times have you owned a pair of stereo headphones and one ear starts fading in and out? This is because those connectors, by nature, do not last very long, before one of the two channels shorts out. I took one apart and looked at how they are made and there are very small gaps between the 3 conductors at the connector base, and it's very easy for the gaps to close. This is why when you have a pair of broken headphones, as I referred to earlier, you can get the signal to come back sometimes by bending the strain relief area of the connector a certain way.

Plus, I enjoy the satisfaction of doing it myself. :P

www.WingsuitPhotos.com