basehoundsam

HC-7 First Impression

WOW...... I have been playing non stop for the last two days with my new toy. I must say I am incredibly impressed with both the quality of video , as well as the incredible quality of the stills.
I am planning on flying it weather permitting this weekend, as well as giving it the old wind test in the tunnel on monday. If ground video is any indication of the quality of this camera...... I am completely blown away!!!

p.s. Purchased this camera from Circuit City online with the ultimate bumper to bumper warranty( Including physical damage and water damage) for about 1900.00.
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

You'll be very happy, particularly when you punch up the color just a tad. Be aware that in low light, it autoswitches to 30fps to punch up the light, and it will still be noisy.
I've got one, used it on a shoot in a remote area recently where latitude was insane, going from extreme reflection on snow/sunlight to very dark, virtually no light in spaces of split seconds, and the HC7 did very, very well.

can you tell us what the comparison is like, between the HC7 and the HC3???
and then between the HC7 and the HC5 ???
does the video quality change much as the model numbers go up..
Not really interested in still shots with the HC cameras,,, but in that same vein,,, How are frame grabs?? as compared to frame grabs in the old sony trv series and does the HC series use sony memory sticks???? the small Ones?? i.e small in physical size not memory size,,,,......i think they are now available in up to 1 gig....thanks...

o[:-)
jmy

Frame grabs are identical between all three of them in identical good light. The only place the HC7 significantly shines over previous HC's, is that like the HC1, it has a mic input, and it does better in very low light.
Stills are better in this cam than in any previous HDV cam. But they're still video cam-derived stills, and therefore not as good as something from an XTi.

Doesn't HC-7 have optical stabilizer? (vs. Hc-5,3,1 with electronic one.) How does the optical stabilizer perform in the sky? Does is handle quick camera movements well?
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

it does. I've now got 15 jumps with the cam, and very pleased with it thus far. It doesn't make me a better shooter, but it does look great.
If you're at Eloy for the money meet by chance, have manifest page me, I'll give you the nickel tour if you're curious. Everyone on the load seems to look at the silver body and either go "ooohhh, is that the new one...?" or "Yeah, seen it, it's just a DV cam..."
The silver definitely is the weakest overall point. That, plus the fact that I've got several 30mm thread lenses that obviously can't be stepped up properly to the 37mm mount/thread.