jheadley

"Reinsert the cassette" error

Are you using a third party/non-Sony battery? This is fairly common in that event. If you're seeing error C31, that's potentially the problem.

If it's not the battery, it can often be a bit of dirt or other material fouling the arm that the cassette blocks. Sometimes this indicates the drum motor is failing. If it is the drum motor, plan on tossing the cam in the trash, because the cost is far beyond the value of the camcorder.

This error can also be caused by wrinkles or errors in the surface on the tape. Have you tried other tapes?

Condensation *can* cause this error as well, according to Sony's tech manual.

Here's a list of Sony Error Codes, dunno if it helps..
C 04 00 Non-standard battery is used. Use the info LITHIUM battery.
C 21 00 Condensation. Remove the cassette, and insert it again after one hour.
C 22 00 Video head is dirty. Clean with the optional cleaning cassette.
C 31 10 LOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 11 UNLOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 22 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 23 S reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 24 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 40 FG fault when starting drum. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 42 FG fault during normal drum operations. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 22 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 23 S reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 24 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 40 FG fault when starting drum Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 42 FG fault during normal drum operations Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
E 61 00 Difficult to adjust focus Inspect the lens block focus reset sensor
E 61 10 Zoom operations fault Inspect the lens block zoom reset sensor
E 62 00 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect pitch angular velocity sensor
E 62 01 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect yaw angular velocity sensor

I had a similar problem on a TRV18. I think the code was 31-22 or 31-23. I googled it a few different ways and got a load of message boards of people swearing that if you strike the left (screen) side of the camera firmly in your palm it would start working again. I kept searching for a better understanding before I started banging on my camera. A fellow videot, Shaggio Rodriguez told me he had the same problem and read the same stuff.

I am not a camera tech but I am mechanically minded so I started poking around.
***Warning---Proceed at Your Own Risk***
I have included a couple of pictures.
There is a rubber covered roller on the right side in the loading tray that seems to be held in place by a small piece of plastic tubing. Some of these little bushings are black and others are white. If this comes loose the tape will not load correctly and the error will result. It may be fine at first and then when you try to record later, such as on exit, the error may occur then.

**If you bend the loading mechanism the camera is beyond my abilities so don't force any part to go where it does not want to go. My camera was useless as it was so I went ahead and dove in. If you can see the little piece I am talking about you might consider applying gentle pressure toward the roller to seat it. ( On my camera it is hard to get your finger in there but if you open the camera and then remove the battery you can squeeze the little tape holder closed without the tray moving back into the camera. Then I gently reach in with my finger and seat the bushing(tubing). If the little piece of tubing and or the roller itself is missing you have bigger problems. I took mine out completely to see how it all works and I recommend not doing that. I proceeded to drop it inside my camera and spent the next hour and a half in the video room performing surgery. I don't know if anyone actually won the pool because I don't think anyone expected the camera to work again. It is now my back up camera and I bought another just like it on ebay as my primary.

And yes, everything on the old camera works but I had to reassemble it 3 times to get all the little ribbons of wires correctly aligned.

Good luck.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

OK - This is not BS! Last weekend, my PC1000e had this exact problem (with error code 31:40 I think) I tried resetting the camera and drying out moisture - no difference, I thought it was dead... Then I searched the web and came across a forum where a guy that used to work in a sony repair shop said they used to cure this by holding the camera in one hand and smacking it hard with the other hand on the cassette side door. Lots of people responded saying they had done this and it worked. So I did it to my camera - instant cure!!!! :)

You can also try just geting the tape out and force it open a few times (press the button thingie and pull on tape cover) so that it opens smootly again when re-inserted. Works just as well and is way better for your camera :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had this error on my newer PC 1000 (bought used on ebay), instead of risking a whacking (hehehehe) i used the extended warrenty that came with my purchase. not only would i get the reinsert cassette error when i tried to start recording, but it would also stop recording (a few times in the middle of freefall!!!) & blink the error. A few times after reinsertting the cassette it would eat the tape. After sending the camera to Mack Camera for repair 2X the guy I bought my camera from had a conversation with the tech....

"the tech said he believes it might be the tapes we used. For the short time I used the camera before I sold it to you I recorded only with high end Sony and Canon MiniDV tapes. I don't know what type of tapes you've used but when I last had the camera (I sent the camera to the seller to test on his own tapes before sending it in for repair again to make sure it wasn't just the air in Illinois:) before I shipped it to Mack I used a pre-recorded JVC tape, it was the only one I had, and then I had the same problems you were describing.

He told me this model of Sony camera has very sensitive heads and recording mechanisms and the the high end Sony and also Panasonic MiniDV tapes have a special lubricant built into the tape which this model camera requires. He also mentioned not to buy these tapes in bulk but in packs of 3 or less as when the tapes are stored in bulk it can cause problems and they don't work well with this camera."

So, when doing tandem videos pretty much everyone I know uses JVC MiniDVs bought in bulk and many of the same people with the PC 1000 end up with the same error. It'd be a big bummer to have to invest in the Sony/Canon tapes since they're so much more expensive especially not in bulk... but obviously worth it if the other tapes ruin the camera.

I just thought I'd put this information out there for anyone else with this problem. And to see if those of you way more informed than me think it's full of bologny?

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)