howardwhite

Camcorder battery "software"

Shortly after I bought my Sony HC3 last fall, I went shopping for an extra battery. I wanted a big one, but the local Best Buy was out of the Sony FP-90 so I got an Energizer ER-C557 instead -- a lot cheaper than the Sony.

A few weeks later, I was firewiring a video from the camera to a computer using the battery when, all of a sudden, the camera shut down -- bang, no warning, blackness. I plugged it in -- still nothing. I though the camera was fried, but when I put in the other battery, all was fine.

The same thing happened several more times. The camera battery indicator showed full charge, yet the camera would just die, either shooting or playing.

I searched the web and found the web site for Technuity in Indianapolis, the distributor. They had a tech note on batteries for Sony cameras, so I wrote them and got back an email saying "It appears you may have purchased an ER-C557 that is in need of a software update." They sent me a UPS form, I sent the battery and, on my return from PIA, had a new battery.

Who knew some batteries have "software?":)
HW

Be glad that battery worked at all. I have a few different brands M-series batteries that do not work on HC1/A1 etc. One of these batteries does not even fit physically. All work fine on my TRV25. Sony keeps updating the interface...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

That's what the "info" in "infolithium" is all about. The battery has a RAM in it that communicates with the camcorder, letting it know how much battery time is left, etc. It's also occasionally responsible for batteries melting down and rarely exploding. :P

Saskia, I'm surprised you'd have an M or F series that didn't fit, but not surprised if you had one that didn't work.